Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,192,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
For example, you can buy a full brake kit made by Brembo or Wildwood for a Volkswagen and spend $5000. OR you can match up stock/OEM parts from an Audi or a Porsche that will easily swap over at a fraction of the price and still give you better braking.

You can have the best brakes in the world and it wont mean anything unless you have good tires. Its all in the tires, and good pads too.

Factory brakes are usually sufficient in most cases besides actual racing and high speed and constant hardcore use and abuse.
Part one, yep: sure can. Via eBay, for example. I'm about to do this on a Ducati motorcycle, as various Brembo calipers are used on various bikes (KTM, Ducati, possibly others). They show up on eBay often. It's easier to work on bikes, everything is right there (accessible), though doing-same on cars isn't rocket science either with proper tools and a lift (or good jacks).

Tires, pads, and brake lines. Yep, again. I see brake lines are getting better all the time, on bikes at-least. That used to be a high-performance kind of mod, too: switching to stainless tended to resolve all sorts of fade issues.

Factory brakes are "usually" sufficient, indeed. My personal opinion is up-spec'ing calipers, pads, and rotors is an expensive, but enjoyable (in how they feel) mod for "some" vehicles. I did this to my Toyota Tacoma XRunner the day I ordered it from Toyota, the TRD Big Brake kit (calipers, pads, rotors) which took the stock brakes from "marginal at-best" to "excellent, though not quite stupendous." To me, it was worth it for about $3K right from Toyota, but I tend to run vehicles pretty hard (without being a maniac) on the street, too.

OP may or may not derive $8K or whatever of absolute use from aftermarket brakes, but as I like to say: "know thyself!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:42 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,318,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yes.

You can also dupe the world into thinking you are rocking a set of bad-ass Brembos for the cost of a couple cans of gloss red Krylon if you mask off you calipers and paint 'em yourself.
Sorry, but if you sum all that, it's 2780 HP, not 2790.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive