Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,130,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Read his post again. He hates ANY modded cars. He hates stereos, he hates lowering, he hates custom paint. Sorry, that's closed minded.
That's not what I get from his post. I think he hates tacky mods like stick on plastic scoops, suspension/wheel setups that ruin the cars handling, etc.... As do I. But I'll let him clarify if I'm wrong. As I said before, there's a big difference between tasteful mods that improve upon a car, vs crap that is actually detrimental to both form and function.

You used to have a 90's BMW 750 (740?). Those were very nice luxury cars in their day. In my area, it's nearly impossible to find one that hasn't been repainted with some god awful two tone paint job, or "stanced" or the rear deck behind the rear seats cut out for some monster sub box with 2 15's that take up the whole trunk. Of course, the wiring wasn't done properly, it's all a mess of spaghetti in the trunk to the amp, the basic maintenance has been neglected, half the things on the car no longer work... but it's got a loud sound system and a "unique" (putting it extremely nicely) paint job. It's sad. People took a 150mph German autobahn cruiser with great handling and ruined the very things that made it a great car.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,316,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You used to have a 90's BMW 750 (740?). Those were very nice luxury cars in their day. In my area, it's nearly impossible to find one that hasn't been repainted with some god awful two tone paint job, or "stanced" or the rear deck behind the rear seats cut out for some monster sub box with 2 15's that take up the whole trunk. Of course, the wiring wasn't done properly, it's all a mess of spaghetti in the trunk to the amp, the basic maintenance has been neglected, half the things on the car no longer work... but it's got a loud sound system and a "unique" (putting it extremely nicely) paint job. It's sad. People took a 150mph German autobahn cruiser with great handling and ruined the very things that made it a great car.
He'd hate my old 740iL. Custom wheels, lowered, angel eyes, custom stereo, custom taillights, spoiler, custom exhaust, etc. And I hope he has a heart attack:

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM

31,134 posts, read 22,168,750 times
I have grown to appreciate the ones that are well done as moving art. I'm a sports car and Muscle car guy and I'm sure not all people are good with that.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:19 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,130,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
He'd hate my old 740iL. Custom wheels, lowered, angel eyes, custom stereo, custom taillights, spoiler, custom exhaust, etc. And I hope he has a heart attack:

Shrug, maybe he'll post and say.

To me, those are tasteful mods done right.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,742,447 times
Lowrider cars aren't as stupid as 4 wheelers with huge lift kits. You need a helicopter just to get behind the wheel of some these rigs.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:53 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,012,272 times
I'm all for people modifying their car however they choose. After all, it is their car. The only 'mod' I can't stand seeing are the buffoons who have the metal ball sack hanging from their tow hitch.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,906,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I Remember back in the 90's we used to cut the coils to lower our cars back in HS which was/is not the safe way to do things but it was the cheap way to get the lowered look.

Now looking back at the things we though were cool is kind of funny since if we did them right they would of looked and performed alot better then doing them wrong and hacking up a perfectly good suspension and having tire had major wear issues due to the camber being off.

Heck I Remember when 16" Rims were thought to be huge and only came stock on Mustang's (Pony Rims) and Camaro's (IROC-Z Rims) and 17" Corvette and aftermarket Rims were massive and 18" rims were only on exotic Supercars or extremely modified /Custom cars
cutting coil springs is a time honored way to lower the suspension. and in fact when done right works quite well. what is the worst way to lower a car is to heat the springs until they sag to where the stance is right. that destroys the springs.

i remember when 15" wheels were considered big, and just about everything came stock with 14" wheels, even full size cars.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,858,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
I don't get it....13 batteries in the trunk..A vehicle that can barely be driven over speed bumps or dips in the road..
Who cares if the wheels can hop off the ground? this thing is completely impractical...
It seems to appeal to people who are "all show and no GO"...
I do not like many of the customizing fads that have occurred in my lifetime but I understand it is individual expression and I do not criticize others. It is their money and preferences. I have my own which have run the gamut of very in-your face type of cars to sleepers.

I have 17" OEM wheels and 18" were optional. I could have bought a set of nearly new 18s last year and elected against it due to the lesser tire options available. I can image the price of tires for the current 20" factory performance wheel. Well I did, when pricing a 2015 Mustang with PP I looked through Tire Rack for what replacement tires cost for the larger wheel. That is a lot of money to me.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,240,162 times
As impractical as lowriders are, some of the work I see requires REAL talent, REAL skill and hard work. A painting is magnitudes more impractical, it does nothing but exist, yet it is acceptable and even considered 'sophisticated' to expend enourmous amounts of money and resouces for their preservation or collectability. It all depends on the perspective.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:28 PM

24,529 posts, read 26,076,264 times
[quote=rbohm;36787776]cutting coil springs is a time honored way to lower the suspension. and in fact when done right works quite well. what is the worst way to lower a car is to heat the springs until they sag to where the stance is right. that destroys the springs.
/QUOTE]

Yep, heating the springs to lower the car was popular in the late 50's and produced a pretty harsh ride. Cutting the coils seemed like a improvement at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive