Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 03:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,909,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
I don't get it....13 batteries in the trunk..A vehicle that can barely be driven over speed bumps or dips in the road..
Who cares if the wheels can hop off the ground? this thing is completely impractical...
It seems to appeal to people who are "all show and no GO"...
It's a hobby..! Fishing boats aren't very practical, golf equipment is practical, footballs aren't practical, mountain climbing isn't practical...
I'm not a fan of lowriders, but I love drag racing. A fuel Funny car that goes over 300 MPH in under four seconds isn't very practical, unless you need your bread and milk in a hurry..
The reason they sell different flavors of ice cream is because everyone has different tastes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 03:14 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,604,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. Donks are just as dumb.
Both are just as idiotic. I would never be able to take any grown adult who drives either serious!

Old 10-05-2014, 03:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,500,438 times
I'd be leery of hiring a doctor or lawyer who drove one. A roofer maybe.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,003,010 times
To each his own as always.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,323,821 times
And in another thread the OP will talk about not judging others. I admire the craftsmanship of Lowrider, and Lowrider has put scantily clad women in their magazine for years. Even before Victoria had a secret.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:10 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,756,765 times
It's not my thing, but I think it's neat to look at. Obviously they aren't very practical for everyday driving, but that's just it, someone has an interest and they make it their toy/hobby. I like to see what these people produce, I'm all in favor of creativity, even if it isn't my cup o' tea.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:14 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,323,821 times

Don't be a menace to Grandma's impala - YouTube

Old 10-05-2014, 04:58 PM

5,776 posts, read 11,424,813 times
Lowrider cars are a form of street art. It's rare to see two lowrider cars that look alike, in contrast to the boring monolithic appearance of almost all passenger cars built in the last decade or two. From a distance, I can hardly tell the difference in appearance between the most common newer passenger cars like Camry, Accord, Sonata, Altima, Fusion, Optima.

Many lowrider cars have enough hydraulic adjustment so that they don't always ride along just above road surface. They can raise the car up if there is a speed bump to go over, or if the road surface is rough. I would not own a lowrider car, but I give a lot of credit to people who can take a 40 to 50 year old car and transform it into a unique street machine that reflects some amount of the owner's creativity or culture.

I've stopped by weekend informal lowrider car shows that are sometimes held in parking lots at strip malls or parks here in Orange County. A lot of the owners are well above 50 years old and are hard working people who are genuinely friendly. A lot of lowrider car owners belong to clubs that get together several times a month, and many of the people in those groups have been friends for decades. It is an "ïn person" social network thing as much as a car thing. Each person has a story to tell about their car and how it evolved into a unique machine. Sometimes its about a car that has been in their family for decades. The stereotype that lowrider car owners are gang members or criminals is way overblown and mostly myth from what I have personally seen in my area.

It would be a boring world if all cars looked alike.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:10 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,949,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
LMFAO... well stated. Lowriders are something that I think most of us cultural outsiders just don't get, but I'm sure there must be some merits even if I haven't seen them directly. With that mechanical know how I would rather lift up a Wrangler and make it more off road capable, but I know there are many people who don't get that either.
I don't mind the lifted trucks.. What I HATE is the lifted 4 wheelers with bug ass knobby tires and 4 shocks per wheel and so on and they pussyfoot over a driveway and have NEVER been off road..

Old 10-05-2014, 05:21 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,976,352 times
Different strokes, different folks! I'll bet there is something you like, that a lot of people think is stupid. If everyone had to hold to someone elses idea of worth, the world would be a boring place. So no, the dumbest thing i've seen is thread after thread of people trying to bash someone or thing just because they are different from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive