Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,849,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Do you have any good Saturn engines in yards anymore?
Sure, we knew when they killed the franchise to buy them up like mad.

I would need to know if it's a SOHC or DOHC engine to fine one for the OP along with their zip code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Up North you might still be able to find a decent engine in a wrecking yard because up there the bodies give out way before the drivetrain does (rust). But in the South engines bring big money because the car bodies last so much longer and people will put a new engine in a car to keep it alive.

When I lived in Pa I could find lots of good motors pretty cheap but the bodies were gone.

Don
So true, gotta love the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,111,338 times
Quote:
Up North you might still be able to find a decent engine in a wrecking yard because up there the bodies give out way before the drivetrain does (rust). But in the South engines bring big money because the car bodies last so much longer and people will put a new engine in a car to keep it alive.

When I lived in Pa I could find lots of good motors pretty cheap but the bodies were gone.

Don
It's a crap-shoot for sure. I've found that the worst engines are the hardest to come by - and for obvious reasons.

Regarding Saturns... I regularly walk through several U-Pull-It yards up here. There are always a lot of early-mid 90s Saturns, some of them in pretty nice shape. But I'd never pull an engine from one of them. I suspect that in a couple years, I'll see very few of them.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,111,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Sure, we knew when they killed the franchise to buy them up like mad.

I would need to know if it's a SOHC or DOHC engine to fine one for the OP along with their zip code.
Do you get many of the 3.0 V6s come floating through? We haven't had very many of them roll through the shop, and most were for minor reasons. Seemed to be a good engine - which is probably why Saturn didn't use many of them.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 AM

Not really, I mean they are out there but we don't buy them specifically for the engines, it's more for the overall value of the pieces.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,876,705 times
I had a Jeep Wagoneer years ago that developed oil in the coolant. Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure so that's the direction it normally flows. My mechanic tested each head. It turned out to be a void in the block casting that rusted through. It was just out of warranty. I had to trade the car and get a reliable one for my family because this happened the week before I went to Vietnam.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Bless you for serving your country. (salutes)

Man, those old Grand Wagoneers still get good money for the parts, owners are devoted.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM

24,743 posts, read 26,349,712 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put too much money in that Saturn because they are no longer being made and parts are starting to dry up. A lady friend of mine took hers to a mechanic I recommended and he told her exactly that, to get rid of it as soon as possible because he is having trouble getting lots of parts to fix them now.

Resale value is also very low because of that factor too, so the sooner you can dump it the better. (Remember the Daiwoo ? )

Don
I don't have a Ion, but a friend of mine does. The local Chevy dealer and other Chevy dealers got all the Saturn parts inventory plus there are on line sources that he uses for items he needs.

The local Chevy dealer I use tells me parts are not a problem for Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Saturn problems. He even showed me a new Ion engine they had. Was a nit pricey at around 5K.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM

24,743 posts, read 26,349,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Do you get many of the 3.0 V6s come floating through? We haven't had very many of them roll through the shop, and most were for minor reasons. Seemed to be a good engine - which is probably why Saturn didn't use many of them.
I have the 3.0 in my L300. The engine was also used in the Sabb 9-5 I think. It had some mods to boost the hp. Many parts are interchangeable between the 2 cars

Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM

9,718 posts, read 10,178,290 times
I remember the old car forty years ago when this happened the new engines could be $500 so I just changed the whole engine , as You could get a engine change of $300 ... Where today could cost thousands in labor cost to replace a $10 gasket ........

Old 02-17-2014, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 46,605 times
Ok, here is the diagnosis. Not sure why the oil was showing so high on the dip stick unless it splashed up there when the car started. Because, my mechanic checked the oil and it was barely registering on the dipstick at all. That is not an uncommon occurrence with this car, it burns about a quart every 2-3 weeks and I had not checked it recently. So, no to the low coolant. I have a crack in my radiator and a small leak around the head gasket. Mechanic put stop leak in it to fix the leak with the head gasket. We opted to change the radiator ourselves to save some money. Those two things seem to have stopped the leaking of the antifreeze, but I was still not getting any heat. We took the car to my Dad's house and "blew out" the heater core (or coil I am not sure which) it was pretty stopped up. The car is running smooth, holding fluids like it is supposed to and now the heater puts out hot enough air that we have to turn the fan down or off.

Thank you all so much for your help. I appreciate the input. I hope this information can maybe help someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive