Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:20 PM

298 posts, read 948,254 times

Advertisements

Can you guys tell me why there would be antifreeze in the oil? Are there other causes besides a head gasket? How much would that cost to get that done? Toyota Tacoma 6 cyl 4WD. I think there is antifreeze in the oil. When I changed my oil today there was a yellowish sludge on the interior of the oil cap. My neighbor said that was probably antifreeze in the oil. Do you guys agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,277 times
No, this happens especialy in the winter, now if your oil is discolered or has water in it that's another matter. What did your oil look like when you changed it?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
You have an internal leak in the cooling system. Before you replace the head gasket which is most likely the issue add a can of the best stop leak you can find and hope it stops it.A pressure check of the system will help you know how bad the leak is.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM

IMHO, don't put stop leak in your engine are radiator, wuz your oil discolered on your last oil change, if no, thendon't worry and just go with it.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
That bit of off-color, foamy stuff on the cap may just be due to condensation and is normal, just wipe it off. This is common in winter especially on a vehicle that is run infrequently or only for a lot of short trips.

Then, check the oil on the dipstick. If that is still a fairly transparent light brown then you are fine. If on the other hand, the dipstick oil looks foamy and solid light brown or yellowish, you may have a blown head gasket, or cracked head/block. You can also check the level of the coolant in the
overflow tank, if you have a problem it would be low.

I will say that the mid-late '90s Toyota V6 had a "secret recall" for a head gasket problem that they paid for if it went at under 100k miles. I think the worst year was 1996, I had a 4Runner that had that problem at 99,950 miles.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Ive had a number of cars that developed a bit of yellow sludge on the underside of the filler cap. Nothing ever went wrong with any of them. I don't know what causes it, but I don't worry about it. I never even bothered to wipe it off. I left it there so I could ask somebody about it if I ever got the chance, but never got around to it.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 PM

298 posts, read 948,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
No, this happens especialy in the winter, now if your oil is discolered or has water in it that's another matter. What did your oil look like when you changed it?
The oil looked fine. There was significant sludge on the cap and also going down the pipe about 3 inches. There was nothing on the dipstick and the drained oil looked normal.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
IMHO, don't put stop leak in your engine are radiator, wuz your oil discolered on your last oil change, if no, thendon't worry and just go with it.
Well ok. DONT EVER USE STOP LEAK IN A HOPE that you may fix the problem..JUST GO AHEAD AND PAY 3000 BUCKS NOW AND HAVE THE ENGINE COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLED IN ORDER TO MAKE THE REPAIR THAT WILL STOP THE LEAK...LOL why spend 5 bucks when you can spend several thousand....

Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Antifreeze in oil could mean anything from a blown head gasket to a cracked cylinder head.

Too much coolant in your oil and not only will your oil look like a milkshake, but eventually the oil in the crankcase will be "watered down" to the point of wiping bearings in the engine. Not good.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Well ok. DONT EVER USE STOP LEAK IN A HOPE that you may fix the problem..JUST GO AHEAD AND PAY 3000 BUCKS NOW AND HAVE THE ENGINE COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLED IN ORDER TO MAKE THE REPAIR THAT WILL STOP THE LEAK...LOL why spend 5 bucks when you can spend several thousand....
So far the only thang thats been mentioned is a little sludge under the oil cap, not a reason to hit the panic buton and start dumping stop leak in the radiator or crank case, the op stated there wuz nothing wrong with the oil he drained, my suggestion go back with a descent oil and keep a close eye on it, check the dip stick every few day's. If everythang looked good and it was mine I'd go ahead and do a quick oil change in about 1.000 miles, hey it's been a heck of a winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive