Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,164,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
So far the only thang thats been mentioned is a little sludge under the oil cap, not a reason to hit the panic buton and start dumping stop leak in the radiator or crank case, the op stated there wuz nothing wrong with the oil he drained, my suggestion go back with a descent oil and keep a close eye on it, check the dip stick every few day's. If everythang looked good and it was mine I'd go ahead and do a quick oil change in about 1.000 miles, hey it's been a heck of a winter.
You are right. He has to make sure there is a problem first. Stop leak is always an emergency temp fix. Once I had a water pump start leaking badly while at the beach. A can of stop leak got me back almost 200 miles to where I could fix it. Another time I had a heater core start blowing steam while on another trip. A can of stop leak allowed me to drive the car several more days untill I could also fix that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,869,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You are right. He has to make sure there is a problem first. Stop leak is always an emergency temp fix. Once I had a water pump start leaking badly while at the beach. A can of stop leak got me back almost 200 miles to where I could fix it. Another time I had a heater core start blowing steam while on another trip. A can of stop leak allowed me to drive the car several more days untill I could also fix that too.
Yea, well he was at home doing a oil change and getting info from a neighbor, I'd use stop leak as a last resort or to get the last bit out of a whopde I wuz fixing to trash anyway.Course sometimes you gota do what you gota do.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 AM

298 posts, read 951,476 times
Thanks gentlemen I will keep an eye on the dipstick. Sure hope you guys are right about it just being a winter thing. The car was only driven for very short distances this winter which someone had mentioned could have possibly contributed to the sludge. Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:01 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,699,791 times
With your engine hot, shut it off. Pull dipstick and put a drop or 2 of oil, from the part of the dipstick that has been in the crankcase, on the exhaust manifold. If it boils it has water in it. Oil will not boil at that temp, water will and they don't mix.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,917,907 times
Did it look like this? If so, it's a typical sludge/condensation problem. What kind of oil do you use?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,826,826 times
I agree with the others that are saying it is a sludge/condensation issue. Your motor develops condensation when it cools. The more short infrequent trips you do, the worse the issue gets. I would clean it up, change the oil and then simply monitor it from there on it to see if you really have a problem.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Did it look like this? If so, it's a typical sludge/condensation problem. What kind of oil do you use?

Yes that is what it looked like. Thank you all

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

I believe it was Quaker State 5W-30.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,917,907 times
You know, I started to ask if you used Quaker State oil. QS seems to be more inclined to condensation problems.

That's one of the reasons it's also known as Quaker Sludge.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,654,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Well ok. DONT EVER USE STOP LEAK IN A HOPE that you may fix the problem..JUST GO AHEAD AND PAY 3000 BUCKS NOW AND HAVE THE ENGINE COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLED IN ORDER TO MAKE THE REPAIR THAT WILL STOP THE LEAK...LOL why spend 5 bucks when you can spend several thousand....
Why fix it correctly when you can Mickey Mouse it up for $5.00, right...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive