Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times

Advertisements

I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine. I apparently switched lanes twice without signaling. I can pay the $97 but don't want to pay the $194, that's excessive, I wasn't speeding or endangering anyone. I'm thinking of challenging this in court. Should I do this? Anyone have experience with turn signal violations tickets? Looking for advice on what I should do, I really don't think I should have to pay $194 for failure to use my signal. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Not to be rude but it was ok to change lanes twice without using a turn signal but now you dont want to pay the price? Not using a turn signal can be dangerous, it allows others around you know your intentions and in my opinion should be considered reckless driving when not used.

On the flip side sometimes its just easier to put the money in an envelope and send it in instead of taking a day off from work to sit in court all day to maybe save $97 dollars. Oh yeah, last time I was in court you also have to pay a $36 (I think) court fee on top of your fine, in NJ anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I guess if the cop saw you make 2 turn signal violations ya get a ticket for double the price, like if while he was following you and you went through 2 red lights would you expect to be ticketed for just one violation?
You could fight the ticket, you might get lucky..
Personally i'd just pay the ticket and be done with it and use my turn signals in the future.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:39 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
If you did it twice in a row, that's two violations so I don't see how it's excessive. Frankly I wish cops around here would ticket more people for this.
Also, I'm willing to bet that you're in the habit of not using turn signals, especially if you did it twice in quick succession with a cop (presumably) behind you. That's very inconsiderate driving and can be dangerous.
Any traffic ticket can be fought, but as mustangman says it might be easier to simply pay it, likely you won't save much money fighting it. Depends on what your driving record is like, and how much points you got for the turn signal violation.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:59 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Awwwww, how sad. Few things bug me more than JA's that refuse to signal. Thank the cop for me if you see him again.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Awwwww, how sad. Few things bug me more than JA's that refuse to signal. Thank the cop for me if you see him again.
Im with you 100%. I wish more cops ticketed around here for that because I feel you are putting more people at risk by not using them regardless of speed or amount of cars on the road than if you are using them and going 15 miles over the speed limit.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Yeah, yeah, yeah, piling on here, but use your damn signal.

Now that that's out of the way, call the number on the back of the ticket to make an appointment to talk to a court officer or prosecutor, and then beg for mercy. You might even be able to keep the moving violations off your record for the long term.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Go to the judge and he might add an additional fine for wasting his time. This is clearly an appropriate ticket.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Just last night I had some guy in front of me suddenly make a right hand turn off the highway and he didn't use his turn signal. He has no idea how close I came to rearranging the back of his pickup. I had to slam on the brakes and the guy behind me almost rearranged my car's rear end.

No excuse for not using your signal, but LOTS of times I have followed a police or sheriff car and they will change lanes and make turns without signalling. It almost makes you want to blow the horn and pull them over..............almost. But you know how that one would end.

I'm one of those turn signal freaks, I use them even on a lonely road with no other car in sight and even in the parking lot of our apartment complex. I just always have done that.

Don

Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
you can try to plead the case down to a single charge, talk to the prosecutor in the case. the other thing you can do is attend traffic school and work the ticket off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive