Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Your Taste In Automobiles Changed Over The Years?
Yes 57 60.00%
No 27 28.42%
I haven't reached that age yet 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 PM

17,231 posts, read 57,166,366 times

Advertisements

I still like performance cars, just like when I was 16. I'm 50. I guess my tastes have broadened a little, I would have considered a VW Cabrio too much of a "hairdresser's car" and not macho enough when in my teens, now I appreciate them. Gas is relatively more expensive now so I'm more interested in milage, and have come to appreciate Colin Chapman's dictum that "more horsepower makes you faster on the straights, but lighter weight makes you faster everywhere"

As to the idea of an age limit, Japan-style, on street cars, honestly, this is about the dumbest thing I have heard since mandated 10% ethanol gas. You rust-belters can dissolve your cars with salt if you want, but leave me out of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,960,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I still like performance cars, just like when I was 16. I'm 50. I guess my tastes have broadened a little, I would have considered a VW Cabrio too much of a "hairdresser's car" and not macho enough when in my teens, now I appreciate them. Gas is relatively more expensive now so I'm more interested in milage, and have come to appreciate Colin Chapman's dictum that "more horsepower makes you faster on the straights, but lighter weight makes you faster everywhere"

As to the idea of an age limit, Japan-style, on street cars, honestly, this is about the dumbest thing I have heard since mandated 10% ethanol gas. You rust-belters can dissolve your cars with salt if you want, but leave me out of it!
If you worked for the car companies , or depended on the income from them , you would think differently. If you were out of work , or your job had gone over seas , never to return , you would think differently.
While the Government is buying up banks, and bailing out GM , still no real help for the masses , especially the middle-class. Its time for the marketing arms to take the back seat in the Peoples car , and , let the R & D take over , along with engineering. Marketing, and finance got into this mess , they won't get us out , ..not this time. ( I love cars , always have , have owned almost every brand , have been a serious collector as well ).
In my plan , Collectors would be exempt , to age replacement , . General work vehicles would not be exempt , specialty needs , and specialty vocational equipment would.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,436,291 times
I like my cars to be small, for the most part. The Jeep was the one car I wanted as a kid and the one car I owned that I just loved, loved, loved. I miss it, but it's a rotten vehicle for toting around 2 kids and a big dog. Now my dream car is a Mini Cooper S.

Now, there was a stretch where I wanted a Hummer. Actually, I wanted one straight from the Army, as I don't like fancy shmancy stuff in a car. But, now I think they're absurd. If I'm going to get a military vehicle, then please just let me drive a tank.

Having been a little girl in the 70s, I also used to want a Barbie Corvette. It didn't have to be pink, but it had to be one those bumpy styles (you can tell I'm an aficionado, can't you). No way would I want one of those now.

So, yes, my taste in vehicles has changed.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM

58 posts, read 397,802 times
Yes they have changed, As I have got older, Still drive old cars but now its got an automatic and air conditioning. But driving a big block with a stick is still great therapy!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
If you worked for the car companies , or depended on the income from them , you would think differently. If you were out of work , or your job had gone over seas , never to return , you would think differently.
While the Government is buying up banks, and bailing out GM , still no real help for the masses , especially the middle-class. Its time for the marketing arms to take the back seat in the Peoples car , and , let the R & D take over , along with engineering. Marketing, and finance got into this mess , they won't get us out , ..not this time. ( I love cars , always have , have owned almost every brand , have been a serious collector as well ).
In my plan , Collectors would be exempt , to age replacement , . General work vehicles would not be exempt , specialty needs , and specialty vocational equipment would.
I've loss a job because the comapny went out of busiensss. In thatcase I moved on to another jb that had a better future. Its really no good staying in a deadend job whose future is bleak at best.Of coursde you would exempt collectors as you have been one-the exempt me crowd. I thnik that people are teh best judge of what they want and they drive marketing. That's the thing about american auto makers they are always behind the market since the 70's.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
yes when i go on a date with a woman 10 years my senior, her walker has to fit easily in the trunk.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:45 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,960,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I've loss a job because the comapny went out of busiensss. In thatcase I moved on to another jb that had a better future. Its really no good staying in a deadend job whose future is bleak at best.Of coursde you would exempt collectors as you have been one-the exempt me crowd. I thnik that people are teh best judge of what they want and they drive marketing. That's the thing about american auto makers they are always behind the market since the 70's.
I don't give the people that much credit.......

Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,171,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastway57 View Post
Yes they have changed, As I have got older, Still drive old cars but now its got an automatic and air conditioning. But driving a big block with a stick is still great therapy!
Hey, let's bring back big block cars. Detroit had no problem with sales when they were making them. Ever since downsizing started, it's been downhill.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:37 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,171,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
So what would happen if you didn't want to give up your car and didn't qualify as a collector. Would you be forced by the police. That would be a sad commentary on our state of freedoms if we got to that point. That sounds like something that would happen in China or another communist country. I don't think our country was founded on the government confiscating private property like that. Sounds pretty scary to me.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM

687 posts, read 2,954,996 times
I used to drive what I loved. Now I've more a tendency to merely admire while I drive what is more modern/economical/comfortable.
I used to devour every magazine, every car show, spend every night in the garage. Now I drive by carshows on the way to Wally world where I skim a few magazines occasionaly .
I finally got a oversized 3car garage, all the tools you need....and hardly used it.
I used to gauge everyone by what they drove and measure my own success/emotional state by my vehicle or driving habits that day. Now I snarl at those who drive like I did and leave my vehicles 99% stock.
So I've gone from drooling over 32 Highboys to giggling with my grandkids.
Winning the lottery would fill my garage with a new pickup, SUV, fast SRT4(hey I like turbo boost and fwd torque steer), and a restomodded trifive sedan equipped for interstate travel. The 32 roadster has faded away, so has the t bucket, gasser 55 and offroad baja.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive