Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Your Taste In Automobiles Changed Over The Years?
Yes 57 60.00%
No 27 28.42%
I haven't reached that age yet 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:25 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,877,356 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about how most people change as they get older, and their taste in automobiles sometimes changes as well. I know over 20 years ago, if I were looking to buy a new automobile, I would have been looking at sporty models, like Mustangs, Camaros and Firebirds, but nowadays, I look at trucks and SUVs.

I know the only thing I would never drive is mini-vans, probably because they just don't appeal to me.

Has your taste in automobiles changed as you got older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,869,181 times
i clicked yes. however this is limited to manufacturer tastes; i have always loved cars and especially loved performance cars, and still do. when i was young i liked american cars - a red on red third gen camaro was the coolest car of my 80's childhood. so my first car was naturally a turd gen camaro. couple years later i got into vw's and other german cars. nowadays i like subarus, mazdas, etc.

but i've always liked the performance type of car first and foremost.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,908 times
Yeah, I swore I'd always drive a RWD Chevy...then out of the blue I bought a new Honda.

Don't have time or desire to spend weekends wrenching cars that are 10 years old and Chevy doesn't make anything worth buying IMO now.
I've gotten older, 25, and don't have the need to appear cool and have learned that even the coolest show cars I've owned have got me nowhere besides a smaller bank account. It should be triple what I have, if not more.
Live and learn.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,209,100 times
It's not so much a case of tastes changing, but needs and practicality ... I like vehicles that do a job well and are fun to drive.

For years, I lusted after and owned a bunch of nice hi-performance (and low to mid performance) RWD sports cars. Always had access from garage to pavement.

Now, with a ranch/farm, and many miles of rough dirt country roads before getting to pavement ... and a severe winter climate to deal with ....

Diesel PU trucks, AWD cars, 4x4's and several Polaris 6x6's are the vehicles of choice now. My wife's 450SL has transmogrified into a Subie Legacy Wagon, which looks pretty good as she heads out the driveway today with a 120lb buck goat in back to a breeding lease 150 miles away from here.

Nice as it would be to drive something more sporting, the road conditions would take a showroom fresh car and make it look like the rest of our 100-300K mile fleet in a matter of months. Rock chips, dings can make a car look old (and highly devalued) very quickly.

I still keep MB300Dt's for fair weather travel, a BMW 2002, and an Alfa spyder for fun. But none of them would catch your eye for being "nice" anymore. Same for my airplane ... it's no "hangar queen", but a serious workhorse here and into the backcountry ... people are being kind when they compliment me on how straight it still is after realizing how old it is and how many hours are on it.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
Yes, Ive changed several times. Went from hardcore domestic, to import (mostly Japanese), to domestic and Japanese, to import only to an open mind. lol My tastes change with age, but strangely I go more hardcore with age, rather than soft like most people. My idea of a killer ride back in high school would have been an Impala SS (the last RWD model), now Id be happier than Michael Jackson at a daycare if I had a rotted 32 Ford with plywood floors, no windows, and a honkin Hemi. lol

Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM

24,484 posts, read 26,028,848 times
I agree with sunspirit that your needs change over the years. My MG's, Firebirds, Z cars are now a PU and gasp a staion wagon.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM

301 posts, read 1,547,484 times
Yea a Buick has started to look good.They have alway road nice.And had great interiors.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM

355 posts, read 2,704,311 times
Talking I like them all!

I have always liked all kinds of vehicles, I guess that means that my taste has never changed and most likely never will.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
No, I still like the same cars I did in high school...
'60s/early '70s Muscle cars (especially Mopars) and Cadillacs. Also assorted '50s to mid-'70s American cars.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:17 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,975 times
Yep, my taste hasn't changed much. I've always been into the RWD GM high-horsepower sporty cars including Z28, Trans AM, Corvette, SS Chevelle. Some of these cars were big blocks. I've still have a couple of GM big cars from the 70s - a Delta 88 with a 455 engine and a 76 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with a 500 engine. I even had a Chevy pickup truck with a 454 that would just roast the tires. Whenever I buy or custom order a car, I buy it with the largest displacement engine available. You can never have enough of cubic inches/horsepower/torque.

Even my Kenworth W900L that I custom ordered I bought with the largest/highest horsepower engine available - the Caterpillar C-15 625 horsepower/2050 ft-lbs torque engine with 928 cubic inches and I'm not even a trucker. Just the fulfillment of a fantasy I've had for 30 years.

Nope, my tastes haven't change and they never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive