Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 25,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Overall: I would recommend the Buick Enclave. It's the perfect size out of all of them. It seems to have the cargo room and seating capacity of an SUV but in a small frame. It has captains chairs with access from second row to third row and the third row is not tiny. An adult can comfortably sit in the back. There is a lot of luxury and Buck is starting to make quality cars.
I think my idea of "fun to drive" is different than most people. Enclave is nowhere near fun to drive IMO. The funny thing about the new good looking Buicks is that they are all being designed out of GM's Chinese design center for Chinese customer taste.

Cayenne is probably the best to drive, though crazy expensive for one that is worth while, the S, GTS, or Turbo. X5, X3, X1 suspension is just too hard/harsh over bumps. But when you have perfectly smooth roads, they are great.

I can't imagine putting long pieces of lumbar in the back of a Cayenne though. We once loaded a backyard gas grill box in the back of my Infiniti FX45 and it scratched the leather near the door grab handle. I could not help but look at that scratch every time I got in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 AM

102 posts, read 232,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Overall: I would recommend the Buick Enclave. It's the perfect size out of all of them. It seems to have the cargo room and seating capacity of an SUV but in a small frame. It has captains chairs with access from second row to third row and the third row is not tiny. An adult can comfortably sit in the back. There is a lot of luxury and Buck is starting to make quality cars.
I wasn't going to reply on this thread as my first post about the Cayenne was ignored (even though the vehicle was mentioned in the original post). However when I see the Enclave not only compared to but even selected above it I refuse to remain silent on this topic.

The Cayenne is one of the most refined and balanced SUV made. The current model is amazing but even a last gen model will trump any of the vehicles listed on this thread in so many categories . It is safe, comfortable, handles great, quick, and reliable. In fact Porsche does offer a CPO program which covers warranty repairs for an additional two years up to 100K miles and is probably the most comprehensive certified program I have yet to see .

Pricing on a current base model (new) is in the 60's unless highly optioned . A CPO Cayenne can be found in the 40's (even 30's after negotiations ) which places it in direct price point with the vehicles noted on this thread .

The car is that great . Heres a few pics of mine .
Attached Thumbnails
SUV/Crossover suggestions-larrys-iphone-jan-2013-055.jpg   SUV/Crossover suggestions-larrys-iphone-jan-2013-050.jpg  

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-22-2013 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,150,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I wasn't going to reply on this thread as my first post about the Cayenne was ignored (even though the vehicle was mentioned in the original post). However when I see the Enclave not only compared to but even selected above it I refuse to remain silent on this topic.

The Cayenne is one of the most refined and balanced SUV made. The current model is amazing but even a last gen model will trump any of the vehicles listed on this thread in so many categories . It is safe, comfortable, handles great, quick, and reliable. In fact Porsche does offer a CPO program which covers warranty repairs for an additional two years up to 100K miles and is probably the most comprehensive certified program I have yet to see .

Pricing on a current base model (new) is in the 60's unless highly optioned . A CPO Cayenne can be found in the 40's (even 30's after negotiations ) which places it in direct price point with the vehicles noted on this thread .

I didn't ignore your Cayenne comments!! I love the Cayenne and think they are gorgeous (as is yours!). I have never driven one, but plan to. My husband works with someone who owns 3 Porsches (different models), and one is a Cayenne. He loves them, but said he would never buy one new because of the depreciation value. But 1-2 years old is better.

On a different note - I test drove a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited yesterday. I think these are very nice looking, loved the inside, love the sleekness of the dash, etc. But based on how it drove - put it at #3 on my list. More truck-like than I was hoping for. I prefer how the new Nissan Pathfinders drive better. I want to drive an Infiniti JX to compare it to the Pathfinder.

I know the Enclave and the Acadia are basically "the same car" -but they drive differently. The Acadia is slightly more truck-like and has looser steering. It's also louder/has more car noise. I actually really like the Enclave. But that is not having test driven luxury brands (Porsche, etc).

The search still continues for the "it" car. I have high expectations for the MDX. Would love to try out a new 2014 soon.

I also wanted to add...while I asked about luxury vehicles, I'm not limiting myself to them. If I feel the Enclave ends up being the best option, or checks the most boxes for me, then that's the car I will get. Or it could be the Audi or Porsche or Nissan. I have no idea. Which is why I'm looking at them all.

Fun to drive is just something for me. Comfort for long trips probably trumps fun to drive, as this will be our family vehicle. My family is used to a minivan and how it feels. I get car sick after about 20 minutes when I'm a passenger, so I literally drive everywhere. When we drove from Texas to Florida - I drove the entire time. When we drive from Texas to Utah later this year - we are taking 3 days to get there, and I will be driving the whole time. I personally love to drive. I will drive around aimlessly just to drive (I haven't bee able to since this lease though ). That's why I said fun to drive. There are some cars on the road that I just won't look at because I think they are boring. Camry and Accord are 2 of them. Are they great cars? Sure. But I find them boring. Highlanders don't turn my head on the road either. And there are too many Pilots around here that I refuse to buy one. Could be the best car on the market - but they aren't for me.

Last edited by lhafer; 03-22-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM

5,466 posts, read 6,093,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post

Beautiful car Larry!

I have always had one on my short list of SUV type vehicles once I trade my current two seater.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I didn't ignore your Cayenne comments!! I love the Cayenne and think they are gorgeous (as is yours!). I have never driven one, but plan to. My husband works with someone who owns 3 Porsches (different models), and one is a Cayenne. He loves them, but said he would never buy one new because of the depreciation value. But 1-2 years old is better.
If one compares the depreciation of other vehicles in this luxury price level Porsche cars actually hold value more . It's not uncommon for example to take a deep gulp when trading in an AMG Mercedes or a flagship BMW either . The more expensive the car the higher cost to own .

I am a nine time Porsche owner and currently have a 997 turbo right beside the Cayenne . With 911 cars I trade them usually every three years and (rounding up) the cost is about 13K a year to own a new 100K car (wholesale trade in) . But the base Cayenne is less than 100K.

If one buys a new Enclave and drives it 5 years and compared it to a used Cayenne that's 8 years old he will find that the Porsches leather , mechanical parts , paint, and structual intergrity will last . It will still be dated but will always be a Porsche . The reason why the car costs more is because it has quality . Despite being a two ton vehicle it's amazing how nimble and agile the car can be .

One more thing car ownership is an experience . The customer service that I have received at Porsche over the years has far exceeded my expectations . Despite the cost I actually enjoy going to service , sipping coffee and chatting with other Porsche owners .

I am not an SUV person . In fact at 54 years old this is my first SUV and I am not the primary driver . My daily car is an M3 . My Turbo is my garage queen . Yet i still find myself smiling when we take the Cayenne .

Even if purchased new (mine MSRP was 75 with lots of options but I have seen nicely equipped cars in the mid 60's) at estimated 65K . Three years from now a 65K car will be worth upper 40's (private sale) .

When test driving a Porsche keep this in mind .. every curent model of modern Porsches have become a benchmark in its class . In fact the 911 is a multi decade automotive ICON .

If buying new or used these cars can not be compared to mainstream and once owned most Porsche buyers become repeat buyers .

Here's the former generation Cayenne (2008 -2010) BTW which can be had used in the 40's. I'd take that car any day over anything in that price level.

2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS television commercial - YouTube

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-22-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Beautiful car Larry!

I have always had one on my short list of SUV type vehicles once I trade my current two seater.
Thank you. You might want to add it to the current two seater .
In my opinion each car has its function which contributes to to overall joy that driving can bring.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,438,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTummy View Post
I have three mercedes right now and the last one I bought from Carmax, a 2008 ML63 AMG. The Carmax Maxcare warranty has been much better than the Mercedes CPO warranty actually. It covers the car for 66 months from when I purchased it, up to 125,000 total miles and only cost $3k. You can take it to the dealer or an independent and just have to pay a $100 deductible, $50 if you take it back to Carmax.

I looked at a CPO from Mercedes and they would only cover it for 3 yrs total and cost the same extra $3k. The only bad thing is that my car has needed a lot of repairs and the warranty has covered about $13,000 worth of stuff over the last 10 months at my local MB dealer. My other two cars were MB CPO and had some initial problems as well, but have been very reliable since.

Previous to MB I had a 2004 Audi TT and the dealer service was just terrible, though the warranty covered all the problems. Much worse than MB and I got rid of that car 9 months after I bought it.

Previous to the Audi I had a BMW 325i sedan and again thought the dealers I took it to were lousy.
The issue I have with Carmax warranties is that there are a few companies that are used, depending upon the region of the country, and the warranty administration can vary, which can affect the experience. The Mercedes plan is also subject to administration, but it is backed by Mercedes, whereas the Carmax warranties are only sold through Carmax, and Carmax does not involve themselves in the plan administration.

I also wonder where Carmax gets some of their cars. I looked at a Lexus IS-F at a Carmax outside DC that had extremely low mileage, and while I know they buy some vehicles from the public, it was a strange car to find there in the current model year with very low mileage. That, and anytime I have ever looked at a Carmax, the car I wanted to drive invariably had a dead battery, which happened more than once on one visit.

It is good to know, however, that Carmax will cover vehicles that can be difficult to secure extended warranty/service agreements, such as the AMG variants that can be difficult on which to get extended coverage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,913,521 times
Ford Explorer Sport. Standard AWD. 365HP twin turbo. 0-60 in just under 6 seconds (5.9). A tune will get you in the low 5's. Tows 5k lbs. Giggity!

More reading: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rt-test-review

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 03-22-2013 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Ford Explorer Sport. Standard AWD. 365HP twin turbo. 0-60 in just under 6 seconds (5.9). A tune will get you in the low 5's. Tows 5k lbs. Giggity!

More reading: 2013 Ford Explorer Sport Test – Review – Car and Driver
I will have to try the Sport. The Limited felt a bit sluggish during my test drive. I mostly liked the vehicle though in general. It's still a contender for me.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

Default Update

Well, today I was able to test drive the MDX, JX, Pathfinder, and a 2011 Highlander with 32,000 miles on that was in excellent condition. Here are my thoughts on them:

Acura MDX
- Has keys - my current car has a push start button. Would have to wait for the 2014 model before the MDX has a push start button (seriously?)
- Would be $55,000 after I get the packages I want.
- Love the way it drove, great acceleration, good steering/handling, quiet ride, smooth ride, brakes felt soft.
- Smaller cargo space area with the 3rd row up
- More difficult to get into the 3rd row when you need to
- 2nd row seats don't slide, so you are unable to give the 3rd row any more leg room
- Good visibility around the car when driving.

Ford Explorer Limited
- More truck-like in steering and handling
- Great interior and exterior styling
- Small 3rd row, and difficult to get into the 3rd row
- Acceleration felt somewhat sluggish and rough (on the Limited trim model)
- Very sleek dash layout
- MyTouch Ford system is buggy
- Expensive for a Ford (packages pushing the price to $50k)

Toyota Highlander Limited (2011 model)
- Felt unrefined after being in the other vehicles
- Good acceleration and pretty good steering/handling
- Interior felt bland
- After 5 minutes in the car I knew it was no longer a contender for me

Infiniti JX
- Awesome interior and exterior styling
- Handles VERY well
- Nice smooth quiet ride, really good acceleration
- Very easy access to the 3rd row
- 2nd row is able to slide forward, giving 3rd row passengers more leg room if needed
- Decent cargo room with the 3rd row seats up
- Steering wheel felt nice when gripping it (weird to comment on, but it's something I noticed)
- Gets quite expensive with added packages.
- Options come in weird package/trim levels
- Has some safety features that are great, and are unavailable on the Pathfinder
- Has a power sun shade on the dual sun roofs (weird to comment on, but it's a pain to close the second shade on the rear sunroof in my current minivan)
- This is the SUV to beat for me - it's my #1 contender!

Nissan Pathfinder
- Almost as good as the JX
- Ride was slightly more rough feeling
- Handles really well with good visibility
- Doesn't have a blind spot warning system, like I do in my current 2012 Nissan Quest - it's not even an option (seriously?)
- Has a power sun shade on the dual sun roofs (weird to comment on, but it's a pain to close the second shade on the rear sunroof in my current minivan)

So the JX is the one to beat in my book! I can see why people like the Explorer and Highlander. But after testing a bunch of different ones - you can tell the difference in the way they drive. If I hadn't test driven anything else, I would be very pleased with either one of those vehicles. I'm also going to test drive the Enclave again, to remind myself about that one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive