Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times

Advertisements

what about Mazda CX 9? That is one fun to drive 7 seater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
The MDX has been a great vehicle, such that I would expect Honda to get things right for the new 2014 model. It's a very reliable vehicle with good driving dynamics.

The LX and Land Cruiser are comfortable large SUVs that are versatile, and tend to be very reliable, overall. The ride is compliant, and in sport mode, the LX has some feel, but it's nothing like one would experience in a BMW X5. However, the LX is in the $80s and the Land Cruiser is $70k+ new, so you would need to look at a used/CPO to stay under $55k. The Toyota products are pretty reliable, overall, and would work well for the projected use, but I don't think they would be a match in terms of the driving experience sought.

Long-term, the Mercedes are going to get very expensive, so if you were to purchase one, you would need to factor the absolute longest warranty possible as part of the purchase price of the vehicle. A 10-year ownership experience with a GL or ML will buy the vehicle a couple of times over in terms of operating costs. Audi is a bit better in that regard, but SUVs have not been part of Audi's model lineup for too long. The LR4 is similar in that owning one for the projected use cycle would purchase the vehicle several times over, and if you don't need one for off-road capabilities, I would look to a different SUV as a family hauler.

Escalades are large truck-based SUVs, not exciting to drive, and reliability over the projected ownership period might make me look more to the Lexus if I were in the same position. The Toyota Sequoia falls into the same handling group, IMO, albeit with excellent reliability and plenty of space.

Is a Volvo XC60 too small for your needs? If not, it's a very good mix of utility and driving experience. The XC90 is a positively ancient SUV design such that there are better alternatives for the price, and more reliable alternatives, unless you are committed to Volvo.

Toyota's Highlander might also be worth a look. It's more compact than the Sequoia with a comfortable ride, usable third row for occasional passengers, and has excellent reliability. The Honda Pilot offers seating for eight, and is a chief competitor to the Highlander, with good utility and reliability.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The MDX has been a great vehicle, such that I would expect Honda to get things right for the new 2014 model. It's a very reliable vehicle with good driving dynamics.

The LX and Land Cruiser are comfortable large SUVs that are versatile, and tend to be very reliable, overall. The ride is compliant, and in sport mode, the LX has some feel, but it's nothing like one would experience in a BMW X5. However, the LX is in the $80s and the Land Cruiser is $70k+ new, so you would need to look at a used/CPO to stay under $55k. The Toyota products are pretty reliable, overall, and would work well for the projected use, but I don't think they would be a match in terms of the driving experience sought.

Long-term, the Mercedes are going to get very expensive, so if you were to purchase one, you would need to factor the absolute longest warranty possible as part of the purchase price of the vehicle. A 10-year ownership experience with a GL or ML will buy the vehicle a couple of times over in terms of operating costs. Audi is a bit better in that regard, but SUVs have not been part of Audi's model lineup for too long. The LR4 is similar in that owning one for the projected use cycle would purchase the vehicle several times over, and if you don't need one for off-road capabilities, I would look to a different SUV as a family hauler.

Escalades are large truck-based SUVs, not exciting to drive, and reliability over the projected ownership period might make me look more to the Lexus if I were in the same position. The Toyota Sequoia falls into the same handling group, IMO, albeit with excellent reliability and plenty of space.

Is a Volvo XC60 too small for your needs? If not, it's a very good mix of utility and driving experience. The XC90 is a positively ancient SUV design such that there are better alternatives for the price, and more reliable alternatives, unless you are committed to Volvo.

Toyota's Highlander might also be worth a look. It's more compact than the Sequoia with a comfortable ride, usable third row for occasional passengers, and has excellent reliability. The Honda Pilot offers seating for eight, and is a chief competitor to the Highlander, with good utility and reliability.
Thanks for your input and suggestions.

The MDX has long caught my eye. I was a little turned off when they redesigned it to it's current form (the older models are nicer looking IMO). And I felt like they took a step backwards in the interior using more plastic. But I will definitely take a serious look at it in the near future. Do you know if they plan on doing a redesign of it anytime soon? Everyone I know who has one loves theirs.

I think the LX and Land Cruiser will be more car than I really need in the end. I've test driven an LX before, and it was like driving on a cloud! It was an awesome machine.

Mercedes just don't get love from me. I don't care for their styling at all. We rented a sedan for a weekend once, and I hated within about 30 minutes of driving it. DOn't get me wrong - it was a quiet ride, the ride was smooth, and the pick and go was quick - but I HATED the sunroof noise, and how I place my left leg when driving (against the door) - was quite painful because of how they had the armrest.

I dislike Escalades and Navigators in general. Too big. And I think the instrument panel is severally outdated looking.

Not sure about Volvos. I know they are reliable. I thought their maintenance costs were high as well?

I will look at the HIghlander. I've never driven one.

I refuse to buy a Pilot because 3 of my closest friends have one, and they are about every other car where I am from (they are EVERYWHERE!!). I prefer for my car to stand out a little! My Nissan Quest was the first one in my neighborhood - and the ONLY white one for about a year. Now there is one other white one, and a few more are on the road now as well.

Still thinking the MDX might be my best bet. Need to get out and test drive one of those...

Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM

So no love for the Enclave or Acadia here?

What about the new Ford Explorer? I haven't driven one, and I know that reviewers don't like the Ford MyTouch, but when I sat in it and played around with the seats and gadgets at the auto show - it was NICE! But I feel like it's expensive. I mean if I'm going to drop $40-50k on a car, kind of don't want it to be a Ford.

I'm very interested in the new Nissan Pathfinder, mainly because I currently have a Nissan and think I could get out of my lease faster and easier if I went with another Nissan. But some of the consumer discussions and reviews about the reliability have me nervous. Plus I make it a point not to buy a new model year of a car.

The Infinity JX also catches my eye for the same reasons I like the Pathfinder. But again, it's a new car year - so makes me leery. But it isn't getting the same bad rap as the Pathfinder.

What about the QX56? Seems like a behemoth, but I've never driven one. Consumer reviews give it stellar props though for being fun to drive, a great family hauler, quiet smooth ride, and all around awesome vehicle. And while I like the QX56 (the styling is unusual), I don't like the Nissan Armada.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I see you don't like them, but for seating 7 comfortably, having room for a bit of lumber, and being comfortable for long drives, the Escalade should be considered. My son is on his second one now and likes them. From my viewpoint as a passenger, they're very nice. His wife had a Navigator and hated it. She traded it for a fancy Caddy when my son got his second Escalade last year. I don't think Sporty comes in a 7-seater.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Mazda CX-9, no it's not exactly a luxury brand but I think you'd be plenty happy with it. New should be well within your price range.

Plus, okay, kids are small now, but look at the Mercedes GL just in case, even though you don't like them. Here's why: I know someone who bought it swearing that at the time it was the only 3-row SUV/crossover that could really comfortably seat adults/teens in the third row. He may mean the only 3-row without it being a Suburban or whatever but still, you don't want a Suburban either. That's why you might want to look at it. That said, this thing is a maintenance nightmare when you keep it long enough like he has done and like you would, so you might still skip it for that reason. The Mazda should be pretty reliable. He bought his GL before the CX-9 existed. I told him to look at the CX-9 as a replacement if he's going to replace with a like size vehicle (he may not need to at this point). Not sure how likely he is to step down from the highbrow brand now but really, he *claimed* to be willing to buy anything that drove well and seated 6 full-sized people comfortably.

Otherwise, yeah, MDX, don't know that there's anything hugely wrong with that choice. The Mazda has more space though.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 PM

102 posts, read 231,771 times
Have you considered a Porsche Cayenne GTS . It is a normally aspirated tight suspension SUV . It is lower than the base Cayenne , has more power than the "S" , and is slower than the Turbo but more raw in its driving characteristics .

It has daily driving capabilities with all the comforts yet despite its size can be driven on the track.

Porsche Cayenne GTS - Revving, Driving Footage, Interior [1080p HD] - YouTube

Old 03-18-2013, 06:35 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
From what you are decribing, you want a minivan that looks like a SUV and want the amenities of such. Go look at and test drive a Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD with all packages. This is not a show off vehicle from the outside, but from the inside its a WOW. We are Lexus owners (GX & RX) and we needed a pet transporter as our old one was being killed by Ethanol (off subject, but it seems to us that American vehicles seem not to do well on it but Japanese vehicles have no problems from it). The drivability of it rivals my GX and the comfort level exceeds our RX. As I said drive this exact model. (a normal Sienna drives and handles completely different)

Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
The MDX has long caught my eye. I was a little turned off when they redesigned it to it's current form (the older models are nicer looking IMO). And I felt like they took a step backwards in the interior using more plastic. But I will definitely take a serious look at it in the near future. Do you know if they plan on doing a redesign of it anytime soon? Everyone I know who has one loves theirs.
I believe the new MDX is coming out either late this year or next year. I think this generation's MDX looks good, but agree that last gen probably looked better.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
From what you are decribing, you want a minivan that looks like a SUV and want the amenities of such. Go look at and test drive a Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD with all packages. This is not a show off vehicle from the outside, but from the inside its a WOW. We are Lexus owners (GX & RX) and we needed a pet transporter as our old one was being killed by Ethanol (off subject, but it seems to us that American vehicles seem not to do well on it but Japanese vehicles have no problems from it). The drivability of it rivals my GX and the comfort level exceeds our RX. As I said drive this exact model. (a normal Sienna drives and handles completely different)
I currently drive a fully loaded minivan (Nissan Quest LE). And it's a great vehicle for what it is. It's super nice, and i get asked about it all the time. The exterior styling has grown on me mostly, but it was the interior that sealed the deal for me. The interior of the Quest surpasses both the Sienna and the Odyssey IMO. and since when i drive, what i see is the interior...thats what matters most. But I'm not going to another minivan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive