Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM

21,921 posts, read 25,242,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You contradicting yourself. You seriously have no choice in 7 seaters. That's why Escalade is so big. You either get it right from the get go, or you'll regret it later with jump seats in the back or little rickety dinky seats folding to the side wall in Japanese makes. Take your team of 7 and simply try them out.
Btw, mind I never said Navigator. Escalade will run for long long time. Heck, turbo or supercharge the engine, and you'll have your fun factor.

I want it to seat at least 7 (between scouts, kids + friends, etc - we will still need the room).
Oh, yeah, there is also that monstrosity from Nissan... Whatever that thing is called. Huge.
Armada. They're not nearly as tank-like as a Suburban. Quite a bit smaller, more power, drives a little more car-like but still very much a truck. Much more comparable to the Tahoe/Yukon than the Suburban. Still, compared to a Minivan it is a bit of a behemoth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,202,086 times
I'd get the MDX if I were you. Best quality, luxurious, and plenty of room.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,590,844 times
Ford Flex. If you like the styling, it is by far the best choice. Get one with the Ecoboost and it will scoot! And being so low to the ground, it will handle a little better than the others. I know someone very well on another forum who bought a Flex last year. He really likes it and has some updates in the thread. Goodbye 'Gator, Hello Flex - Motor Trend The General Forum Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,206,014 times
I suggest scrapping the "fun-to-drive" criterion. Seems to me that large SUVs would handle worse than minivans due to their higher center of gravity. Instead, you and your husband should swap cars periodically. When you feel the need to haul ass instead of cargo, then grab the keys to the Genesis coupe. Why should YOU be the one stuck with the family car?

edit: The suggestion for Ford Flex above sounds promising. The problem with the Flex is the very long wheelbase--Makes for a wide turning circle of almost 41 feet!

Old 03-18-2013, 06:49 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,149,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
I suggest scrapping the "fun-to-drive" criterion. Seems to me that large SUVs would handle worse than minivans due to their higher center of gravity. Instead, you and your husband should swap cars periodically. When you feel the need to haul ass instead of cargo, then grab the keys to the Genesis coupe. Why should YOU be the one stuck with the family car?

edit: The suggestion for Ford Flex above sounds promising. The problem with the Flex is the very long wheelbase--Makes for a wide turning circle of almost 41 feet!
Oh, I drive it every chance I get. But the reason I'm "stuck" with my car is that mine is a lease, and I already rack up enough miles on it just running kids to school and after school activities and errands around my small little suburb, plus the family trips we take in it. Hubby has a 70 mile round trip commute to work on a good day and I would rather not put those unnecessary miles on mine! I take his out on weekends when I'm alone, or running quick errands.

I do drive everywhere. I get car sick when not behind the wheel - so all driving is done by me.

I'm already not the biggest fan of my Quest's exterior looks -- I can't stand the look of the Ford Flex.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,149,544 times
No car is perfect. So if I can get most of my criterion, I would be a happy camper.

I plan to just start test driving various vehicles this week and see what I like.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Highlander

Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 AM

265 posts, read 598,674 times
I have an MDX and love it.

MDX... no contest. Cheaper to repair and isure than the Europeans (Volvo, Audi, MB). The MDX has luxury, a good ride and is "sporty" for that kind of car.

The third row is just ok and doesn't leave lots of cargo room in back. Good for running carpools, not for 7 people on vacation for a week.

Sounds to me like the MDX is a good one for you... and if you buy as the new gen comes out, you can probably get a sweet deal on the "leftovers."

Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,232,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I'm very interested in the new Nissan Pathfinder, mainly because I currently have a Nissan and think I could get out of my lease faster and easier if I went with another Nissan. But some of the consumer discussions and reviews about the reliability have me nervous. Plus I make it a point not to buy a new model year of a car.

The Infinity JX also catches my eye for the same reasons I like the Pathfinder. But again, it's a new car year - so makes me leery. But it isn't getting the same bad rap as the Pathfinder.
First, The JX and the Pathfinder is pretty much the same car.

I test drove the 2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium model and I was very impressed. The car had plenty of power and handled well. The reliability concerns might be due to the CVT tranny as there were some horror stories on their earlier CVT models but my information is that the CVT tranny is fairly reliable on the newer models. Also, I might be on crack on this but I thought the 3rd row seating was reasonably comfortable on the Pathfinder... more so than the MDX or the Pilot. I say this because the MDX and the Pilot are wider cars. Only thing I did not like about the Pathfinder was that the interior felt a little cramped. I am not a big guy at 5'10.

Overall, if I was in the SUV market, my vote goes to the MDX. Didn't really like the design at first but it really grows on you and the interior layout is awesome IMO. The SH-AWD system on the MDX is truly amazing as the car handles very well for it's size. Only problem here is that it is being redesigned for 2014 MY and the 2013 MY does not have push button start which I thought was very odd. If you are ok with the 2013 model, you should be able to get a good deal on one since the 2014 model has already been disclosed.

Edit: Test drove the Highlander Limited as well and it is a nice car but I just couldn't get over the interior and the 3rd row seating was totally useless. Probably the worse amongst the SUV's i have looked at. But again, drives very nice.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post

Edit: Test drove the Highlander Limited as well and it is a nice car but I just couldn't get over the interior and the 3rd row seating was totally useless. Probably the worse amongst the SUV's i have looked at. But again, drives very nice.
BS.. Ive spent almost an hour in the Highlander 3rd row with no problem. Not my first choice but if I (5'10" 190lbs) can its no worry for kids. Its easier to get in and out of than the Pathfinder too. I like Nissans too. Ive owned 2 that treated me great but calling the Highlanders 3rd row "totally useless" is BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive