Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,051,140 times

Advertisements

Something tells me if the OP wants an Escalade, or Durango, and has previously had full size GM SUV's, then a small CUV is not going to suit his needs.

I personally would not opt for the Escalade because the extra luxury is not worth the entry price IMO, but if someone likes the extras (like the leather trimmed dash), then by all means. I am sure it is a very nice truck. The regular Tahoe would suit me just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,837,785 times
A crv is not a CUV. It is however a mor fwd standard than 4wd car based POS. Given the choices, Id pick a first gen durango or escalade because they can be modified for offroading.The new escalade and suburban dont share the gmt900 chassis with the trucks; no.solid axles or true 4wd. They are rear or all wheel drive.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,284,002 times
OP: Have you considered a Ford Excursion? They offer a diesel engine for it and it is humongous.

The only SUV I ever personally considered was the Land Rover Discovery, which I would only use for winter going up to Vermont do do snowboarding with friends.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,759,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Obviously the Durango would be quite a bit cheaper. You could probably buy a fully-loaded, brand-new Durango for the price of a used Escalade. I've owned both a Yukon Denali (2008) and a Caddy Escalade (2010) and both are great vehicles. Personally...there isn't a whole lot of difference in features from a Denali to an Escalade but the price differential is fairly substantial. Both vehicles got about 14-15 mpg in mixed driving and were big, comfortable SUV's.

The Cadillac has more bling than a Durango but the insurance on my Escalade was RIDICULOUS. I paid nearly 1/3 more in insurance yearly for the Escalade versus the Denali.

What is your price range? I would personally go for a 2010+ vehicle with low miles and preferably something only a year or two old with some warranty left. I never had problems with either vehicle but Cadillac's can be expensive to repair if out of warranty.
Price range is under 4k so obviously very used. I have 3 kids and plan on more so bigger the better...I am used to the gas guzzling so no problem there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
OP: Have you considered a Ford Excursion? They offer a diesel engine for it and it is humongous.

The only SUV I ever personally considered was the Land Rover Discovery, which I would only use for winter going up to Vermont do do snowboarding with friends.
I looked into them they seem to be still fairly expensive. My older brother has one and I love it. Makes the suburban look small! Far as my problems with my Yukon and Suburban the Yukon had the trans go and I got it rebuilt and the suburban's rear end went out and I just sold it as it was.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM

17,419 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
I bet the CRV will hold more value than both the other suvs...

Ill also guarantee that theyre 100 times more reliable and efficient.

Im just biased because I think giant SUVs are extremely tacky, especially when theres a little 100lb soccer mom driving one and has not a clue on how to drive it.

Yeah but if you have 4 kids and a spouse are you really saving gas making 2 trips everywhere?

Giant SUV's have their place, there are plenty of folks that need them for various reasons (seating capacity, towing ability, ground clearance/off road capabilities).

Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The CRV is a top rated compact SUV and very nice to drive if you like the size. Ford makes the Fusion in Mexico. VW makes cars in Mexico.

I think Mexico is proven as a place to make fine quality vehicles. Maybe as good as Detroit.

Toyota makes their small pickups there, GM makes their 1500's there, Dodge makes their diesel trucks there.....plenty of cars are made there but that certainly doesn't make them better.

Mexico to me is a 2nd rate tourist destination, they make crappy beer and isn't an ISO9000 type place in my opinion!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:

LR Discovery? Could you get a more top heavy, underpowered vehicle to look any more goofy?

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM

471 posts, read 978,804 times
The funny vehicle in the mix is the bling buggy Cadillac Escalade EST, based on the Chevy Avalanche, complete with it's tiny plastic lined "truck bed". I guess if you really have the money and want the looks more than practicality, get the Caddy. I would personally pick a regular 4x4 4-dr pickup from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge before I would get either the Durango or Escalade. If you ever plan to take a vehicle off road or up a rugged dirt trail, you may want something you wouldn't be afraid to get a few scratches on.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,544,687 times
With a budget of 4000 I really don't think you will be getting a car this is going to give you tons of trouble free miles. Whichever model you chose will be have tons of miles. So, I would have an open mind and pick the one that is in the best condition for your price range.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,343,796 times
Budget of $4000? Hmm..Maybe the Durango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive