Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times

Advertisements

I could see not buying a performance-oriented ex-rental. Don't buy a Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Corvette, etc from a rental company. For a regular sedan, it wouldn't bother me as much. I've had good service from an ex-rental before.

BTW, there is a different problem with ex-lease. These people, keeping the car only 2 years, can be lax on maintenance. Rental companies will keep up on the maintenance. And if you don't think some of the people leasing cars abuse the hell out of them, well, I'm not sure what you're on. A leased car at home hits just about the same notes as a rental car to the people who are prone to that sort of thing. That said, in BOTH cases it is a small percentage of the people. Not zero, no, just small. Very sensationalized though, just like so many other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I used to work for a name brand car rental company many moons ago & I know they tend to take care of thier cars.,,,,
Yes they take care of their cars but the customers do not.
I rented a ford mustang convertable for 4 months when my van was T boned. I had to return it after 2 weeks for transmission problems, the car only had 36 miles when I picked it up. The replacement was a clone with license plate one digit off. I drove the hell out of those cars, hard take offs and hard stops. I would never treat my cars or trucks like the way I treated those two mustangs. In the 4 months I never raised the top. I loaded tools in the back seat and trunk, chopsaws air compressors, ,,,.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,939 times
Other than the convertible (never owned one) I've done all that with many of my own cars and it wasn't just 4 months. I had my Accord for nearly about 6.5 years. It ran fine and the interior was fine when I sold it with 255,000 miles. I red lined it daily and I'd dump the clutch every few weeks. I swapped the engine out at 235,000 and surprisingly the original clutch looked fine and it still had a good amount of life left on it. I remodeled a home when I had that car and hauled around a 1.5 gal compressor, 2x4x8's, tile, hardibacker, bags of thinset. I even had an 8' ladder and sliding closet doors in it (not at the same time). I didn't haul anything around in my BMW, but it to was redlined regularly and had the clutch dumped. For about three years it had an aftermarket supercharger and for two years it ran 3 psi over the stock kit. Like I said earlier any used car could have gone through some abuse.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 PM

43 posts, read 89,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
I heard that brother.....everything you said. These people are very lost in the dark.

I'll also add hauling drunks around that puke in the back and smoke dope while being taken home or going somewhere. It's NOT theirs....what do they care.

Fools!! lol
^shows what type of character you are

This fool just purchased a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited with the 283hp Pentastar V6 for $14,200.

Checked out in "perfect" condition by an ASE Dodge technician (not affiliated with where I purchased the car), and I confirmed with Chrysler that the 5year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is still valid, and still has that "new car smell".

Currently doing an "oil consumption test" and it hasn't consumed any oil in the last 2,000 miles. So far I'm happy.

Sure it was a rental with 20,000 miles on it, but what other choice do I have in this price range, a Yaris or Versa? No thanks... Also, the "2013" model year is a key number because Chrysler has worked out some kinks in the vehicle by this time - considering the 200/Avengers first came out for 2011 model years. One of my rules is to NEVER buy a "launch year car" - wait till its been out for at least a couple years.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
^shows what type of character you are

This fool just purchased a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited with the 283hp Pentastar V6 for $14,200.

Checked out in "perfect" condition by an ASE Dodge technician (not affiliated with where I purchased the car), and I confirmed with Chrysler that the 5year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is still valid, and still has that "new car smell".

Currently doing an "oil consumption test" and it hasn't consumed any oil in the last 2,000 miles. So far I'm happy.

Sure it was a rental with 20,000 miles on it, but what other choice do I have in this price range, a Yaris or Versa? No thanks... Also, the "2013" model year is a key number because Chrysler has worked out some kinks in the vehicle by this time - considering the 200/Avengers first came out for 2011 model years. One of my rules is to NEVER buy a "launch year car" - wait till its been out for at least a couple years.
The only decent cars you will find for $13-15K that is a 2011-2013 is a Impala, Malibu, Taurus, 200, Avenger.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 PM

43 posts, read 89,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The only decent cars you will find for $13-15K that is a 2011-2013 is a Impala, Malibu, Taurus, 200, Avenger.
There are more choices than that.

Plus, a V6 200 normally goes higher than $15,000 at a dealership. Locally in my area, the market value tends to be $16,000/$17,000+++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive