Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,582,378 times

Advertisements

Wants to buy a HUMMER. The real one not the H2-3. I'm trying to talk him out of it. I know they look cool and tough but I told him he will get a better vehicle if he bought a Diesel 3/4-1 ton.
Anyone work on them or know about them? Trying to make him see that blowing 40-60k on a specialty vehicle isn't too smart.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:05 PM

6,569 posts, read 7,161,012 times
I don't know much about them other then they hold their value very well.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,943,376 times
When you say the real one, do you mean like the one the army uses?? Or the Fancy ass one by General...

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,378,134 times
Better? Depends on what he's going to do with it. Is he actually going to be going off road, or is he going to be driving to the mall? Is he towing or hauling anything?

$60k is more than I'd have to spend on a toy, but other people have a bigger toy budget. It's no more than what many people spend on fishing/skiing boats, and most people can only use them a few months out of the year.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 PM

6,569 posts, read 7,161,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
When you say the real one, do you mean like the one the army uses?? Or the Fancy ass one by General...
It has to be something like this:

Cars for Sale: 1994 HUMMER H1 4-Door Hard Top in Ephrata, PA 17522: Truck Details - 326579201 - AutoTrader.com

Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,582,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I don't know much about them other then they hold their value very well.
Well..... I looked them up since he started yakking about buying one and they seem to be hard sellers. Lots of high asking prices but few sell quickly. Most seem to sit for sale a long time. I guess technically they hold their value when you find the buyer willing to pay your price. They seem to be anywhere from 20-50k upwards of 150 if you get the Alpha model.depending on options etc. I was just trying to get a different perspective. I just don't think its a wise purchase. And my buddy is easily taken for a ride and tends to buy stuff needlessly. His wife asked me to talk him out of it otherwise I wouldn't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
The real one. Military ones that were sold as a civilian version.. Not the H2/H3 GM ones. I just never looked at them past the hey there goes a humvee when I saw one driving down the road. I like the way they look and if it was a pleasure/weekend driver it would be cool to have one I guess if you want to show off etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Better? Depends on what he's going to do with it. Is he actually going to be going off road, or is he going to be driving to the mall? Is he towing or hauling anything?

$60k is more than I'd have to spend on a toy, but other people have a bigger toy budget. It's no more than what many people spend on fishing/skiing boats, and most people can only use them a few months out of the year.
He can swing the car purchase, but I don't know about the maintenance. He plans on using it as a daily driver. Which I think its nuts. Did some reading up and the towing ratings are atrocious. So is the mpg. For the price A newer diesel truck has it beat in every category. It may be a great 4wheeler but he lives in Irvine. Not some cabin in Alaska.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Get a REAL power wagon
Legacy Power Wagon | Old Dog. New Tricks. Way beyond my budget... each is quite different in vehicle needs, but I could have some serious fun with $40k. (I would buy a used semi-tractor (Volvo condo)and a NICE 50mpg FAST sports car and go RV'ing).

Yes, a 'real' 4x4 diesel pickup would be more utility for your friend. BUT... he might be a 'soccer-mom' that needs to drive a Hummer.

Nothing NEW holds it's value real great. New anything also spends a lot of time in the shop (dealer). I prefer to DRIVE, so I buy OLD / proven and no plastic or computer feeds.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,378,134 times
I'd think it would be an awful daily driver. It might be cool for the first week, but after that being a PITA to park, slow, harsh ride etc would make it kind of miserable.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:20 PM

886 posts, read 5,718,813 times
Let him buy what he wants. Its his money let him blow it as he see's fit. You only live once.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 AM

728 posts, read 1,901,231 times
"More dollars than sense" comes to mind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive