Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:12 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,885,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wants to buy a HUMMER. The real one not the H2-3. I'm trying to talk him out of it. I know they look cool and tough but I told him he will get a better vehicle if he bought a Diesel 3/4-1 ton.
Anyone work on them or know about them? Trying to make him see that blowing 40-60k on a specialty vehicle isn't too smart.
Thanks
If you were a good friend you would encourage him to buy a H1. They are already becoming collector's cars. It may not be as practical as pickup but it would be a sound investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,745,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you were a good friend you would encourage him to buy a H1. They are already becoming collector's cars. It may not be as practical as pickup but it would be a sound investment.

Cars are not investments for the most part. Especially a hummer that is not a one off or real collectible. Too many out there. Maybe someday in 30 years. I see them all day long below 40k and they are sitting not selling. I would buy one, but for me it would be a Sunday/once in a while driver. I wouldn't want it as a daily driver. Too big too skow too much of a pita to park. Its 8 feet wide. He's looking at 4 door jeeps now and a few older refurbished K5 blazers. He was surprised how small they were inside. ( the HUMVEES)

Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,386,606 times
Let him buy what he wants but first make him sign a document stating that he will never never ever ever complain about gas prices, devaluation or ongoing repair costs to you.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,971,856 times
the H1 hummer is probably one of the safest vehicles he can buy, i have seen the aftermath of an H1 that had a head on collision with a cement truck. both vehicles were totaled, both drivers walked away without a scratch. that said however, the H1 is an extremely poor daily driver. while the interior itself is spacious enough, the seats are cramped as the trans tunnel intrudes rather rudely so there is little hip room in any of the seats. as noted fuel economy is pretty much non existent, performance is nothing to write home about, and the vehicle is rather monstrously large and unwieldy in traffic.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,745,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Let him buy what he wants but first make him sign a document stating that he will never never ever ever complain about gas prices, devaluation or ongoing repair costs to you.
Yeah he's not the type who buys for resale value. I told him the hubs are 1k each and hopefully the heater core doesn't go bad. It's expensive. I spoke to a marine buddy of mine and he has a few friends who work on them and they all said its maintenance to keep them running. And lots of parts are vehicle specific. But ultimately it is his choice. I remember when he bought a MB 550 and had to replace the front shocks struts. While he has the cash to buy a HUMVEE I think the maintenance will kill his wallet. He's not a mechanically inclined guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the H1 hummer is probably one of the safest vehicles he can buy, i have seen the aftermath of an H1 that had a head on collision with a cement truck. both vehicles were totaled, both drivers walked away without a scratch. that said however, the H1 is an extremely poor daily driver. while the interior itself is spacious enough, the seats are cramped as the trans tunnel intrudes rather rudely so there is little hip room in any of the seats. as noted fuel economy is pretty much non existent, performance is nothing to write home about, and the vehicle is rather monstrously large and unwieldy in traffic.
Yeah well he thinks it's a perfect family vehicle. I think however he is seeing the light.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,447,169 times
I agree with the poster who said that he should get what he wants. Why try to "talk him out of it"?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,513,592 times
Maybe remind him that every female is gonna laugh at him and at how insanely small they assume his penis is for him to feel the need to drive such a thing as a DD. Parking will be fun too and might just get himself keyed frequently for taking up 3+ spaces just to show off his doucheiness...

Not necersarrily MY personal feelings. But just being real on how many people ARE going to percieve it.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM

4,256 posts, read 3,801,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Maybe remind him that every female is gonna laugh at him and at how insanely small they assume his penis is for him to feel the need to drive such a thing as a DD. Parking will be fun too and might just get himself keyed frequently for taking up 3+ spaces just to show off his doucheiness...

Not necersarrily MY personal feelings. But just being real on how many people ARE going to percieve it.
I have to say that if owned one my wife and I would fight daily about who was going to drive it.

I get the joke about guys needing to compensate for something much smaller by driving a big vehicle but it seems many people on this forum take it literally. One of my favorite shows growing up was "Home Improvement" where Tim Taylor was all about "more power" and grunting, etc... I knew a lot of people like this in the 90's but it seems to be fading away...

Old 12-18-2013, 09:21 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,408,102 times
The H1 Alpha is the street legal HUMVEE made by AM General that made the Military and civilian versions and GM paid to licence the hummer name and the H2 and H3 are all based on the GM Truck platforms the modified GMT900 which would go with Yukon Denali or Suburban 2500HD with the Z-71 off-road pkg instead of the H2 and the H3 was off the Colorado light truck platform.

Hummer was a brand of trucks and SUVs, first marketed in 1992 when AM General began selling a civilian version of the M998 Humvee. In 1998, General Motors (GM) purchased the brand name and marketed three vehicles: the original Hummer H1, based on the Humvee; and the H2 and H3 models that were based on smaller, civilian-market GM platforms.
By 2008, Hummer's viability in the economic downturn was being questioned, and it was placed under review by GM management. Rather than being transferred to Motors Liquidation Company as part of the GM bankruptcy in 2009, the brand was retained by GM, in order to investigate its sale.

In 2009, a Chinese manufacturer, Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company, announced that it would acquire Hummer, pending government approvals, but later withdrew its bid. On February 24, 2010, Reuters reported that the Chinese ministry of commerce had prevented the deal, although a ministry spokesperson denied rejecting the application, which had been stalled for eight months.At the end of February, General Motors announced it would begin dismantling the Hummer brand.

Although the automaker announced two days later that it had been approached with new offers,[SIZE=2][5][/SIZE] by April 2010, any sale became unlikely, as inventory was depleted and Hummer dealerships began shutting down.[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] After filling a rental-car fleet order, the last Hummer H3 rolled off the line at Shreveport on May 24, 2010

Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM

11,158 posts, read 29,408,102 times
I say if he wants a capable rugged off-road vehicle with military history then a Jeep Wrangler is hard to beat and if he wants a large capable to carry lots of cargo and carry 9 passengers and still tow and haul the same payload as the 1500 and 2500 GNT900 PU trucks they share the same platform.

All of which are still being produced today and have tons of aftermarket support and large followings with helpful owners and Car Clubs and factory OEM parts are easy to come by at a GM dealer and independent mechanics can work on them and no special order or need to buy a couple Milsurp Humvees to cannibalize parts from to keep yours going.

Because not many pick and pull scrapyards will not have many Hummer H1 Alphas out back or parts pulled off on the shelf's but they will have lots of jeep wranglers and GMT900 but the Yukon, Silverado and Suburban a outside of a few cosmetic exterior and interior parts and 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton variants the drivetrain components are interchangeable.

The only SUV that fell out of favour not in the late 00's not made today is the Excursion and it is still in use by firefighters to battle Wildfires and help with forestry and fishery departments and used heavily for search and rescue as a ambulance to get to remote locations where a helicopter is unable to perform a airlift or is not available that other other SUVs outside the full-size 3/4 ton Suburban are not big and rugged or capable enough to get to the location.

It is also used to service Government and Commercial and private owners that need the capabilities it offered and it still has aftermarket support and shares the exact same drivetrain and exterior and interior parts and trim from the Super Duty F-series PU trucks of the same vintage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive