Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM

664 posts, read 1,038,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I'm sure there are a few total idiots who do abuse rental cars, but I'm also sure a much larger percentage of people who rent cars drive them conservatively. Most people rent cars to get from point A to point B, and never even consider abusing them.
The sensibly renters far out number the immature children who try to see how much damage they can get away with.
In my position as fleet manager for a government agency, I purchased hundreds of rental cars in over a 20 year period, and don't recall ever getting a dud.
Some people just like to talk through their azz to try to impress... There is a lot of that going on in CD.
LOL Talk is cheap. Did you or did you not see that LEO abusing his cruiser to make a video?

I speak with total confidence on this matter.

I know a LEO who was recently fired for taking his teenage daughter and her friend on a high speed run and crashing a PD brand new Mustang GT....

It's not all rosie as you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,715,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI2070 View Post
Would it cover a dropped tranny or blown head gasket from "obvious owner abuse"?

I wouldn't bet on it.....

The same as a toasted clutch in a new Mustang GT with 3,000 miles on the clock.
And how would they know an automatic transmission failure or head gasket failure are "owner abuse"? I've already put 3k miles on the car and it has no problems, drives like brand new. If those things were bad I'd know it by now.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And how would they know an automatic transmission failure or head gasket failure are "owner abuse"? I've already put 3k miles on the car and it has no problems, drives like brand new. If those things were bad I'd know it by now.
When all the clutch plates are burnt out and the shift linkage is bent or twisted. Same as synchronizers are all tore up when they get inside of a manual. These mechanics are ASE certified. They aren't idiots you know.

How do they know the head gasket was blown due to abuse?

Thank your technology for that one.....the computers memory still hold a 8 grand rev........

Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,715,464 times
Quote:
When all the clutch plates are burnt out and the shift linkage is bent or twisted. Same as synchronizers are all tore up when they get inside of a manual. These mechanics are ASE certified. They aren't idiots you know.

Thank your technology for that one.....the computers memory still hold a 8 grand rev........

Like I said, after driving 3k miles I'd know if those parts were damaged by now.

New car dealerships wouldn't be selling these cars if they were junk, they do inspect them, and they do have a reputation to uphold. There's a chance any used car has been abused a few times, who knows how often a 16 year old kid has attempted to do burnouts in his Mom's Camry. I've seen it, does that mean we shouldn't buy used cars from 40 year old women with teenage kids?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,343,957 times
Quote:
You're beyond lost dude. You would crap your pants if you KNEW what someone did to those cars before you bought them.
No it's obviously the other way around. Rental car abuse is nothing new. it's been around as long as rental cars and people have been posing the idiotic things they do on the internet almost as long as the internet has been around. It's all common knowledge to pretty much everyone. Ever heard of calculated risk? Have you ever eaten food you didn't grow? There are plenty of disgusting stories about the entire food industry, but I bet you are not about to avoid eating it. Have you ever stayed in a hotel or motel? Many stories there too. Anyone can pick apart anything and make it seem like a bad idea. 28,000+ miles and outside of a couple recalls and normal wear I haven't had a single issue.

Quote:

Not all cars have this tech and they only hold so much memory. The data is most likely long gone after a few weeks. Oh and by the way most cars won't rev much past 6.5k. If you manage to get it to 8k it will most likely be a money shift with you holding the bill.

On a side not this thread reminds me of the smoking tires podcast with gotham city dream cars. It's pretty entertaining.

Last edited by lgt; 06-14-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
No it's obviously the other way around. Rental car abuse is nothing new. it's been around as long as rental cars and people have been posing the idiotic things they do on the internet almost as long as the internet has been around. It's all common knowledge to pretty much everyone. Ever heard of calculated risk? Have you ever eaten food you didn't grow? There are plenty of disgusting stories about the entire food industry, but I bet you are not about to avoid eating it. Have you ever stayed in a hotel or motel? Many stories there too. Anyone can pick apart anything and make it seem like a bad idea. 28,000+ miles and outside of a couple recalls and normal wear I haven't had a single issue.

Not all cars have this tech and they only hold so much memory. The data is most likely long gone after a few weeks. Oh and by the way most cars won't rev much past 6.5k. If you manage to get it to 8k it will most likely be a money shift with you holding the bill.

On a side not this thread reminds me of the smoking tires podcast with gotham city dream cars. It's pretty entertaining.
A '99 GMC 3500 350 V8 van has it. I think it's safe to say most do. I don't take calculated risks. No rental autos for me. I see I'm not the only one in the thread who thinks so. 6,500 RPMs? Ha.....my '65 K-code 289 V8 can do that.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Like I said, after driving 3k miles I'd know if those parts were damaged by now.

New car dealerships wouldn't be selling these cars if they were junk, they do inspect them, and they do have a reputation to uphold. There's a chance any used car has been abused a few times, who knows how often a 16 year old kid has attempted to do burnouts in his Mom's Camry. I've seen it, does that mean we shouldn't buy used cars from 40 year old women with teenage kids?
Yes, I agree....IF you got a abused turd...by 3k some of it should start to show up. Like a leaking oil/tranny pan from launching the auto airborne and bottoming out. Same can be said about a torched clutch disk and or worn out throwout bearing and pressure plate.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM

BTW guys....are you used car salesman or do you work for a rental car company?

You could fool me. LMAO

Your defense sucks. lol

Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,343,957 times
Quote:
A '99 GMC 3500 350 V8 van has it. I think it's safe to say most do. I don't take calculated risks. No rental autos for me. I see I'm not the only one in the thread who thinks so. 6,500 RPMs? Ha.....my '65 K-code 289 V8 can do that.
We all take calculated risks in one way or another. I never said 6500 was high, it's simply what most engines are limited to.

Quote:
BTW guys....are you used car salesman or do you work for a rental car company?

You could fool me. LMAO

Your defense sucks. lol

No, neither. I just have a grip on reality.

Do you sell new cars?

You could fool me. LMAO

Your defense sucks. lol

Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
We all take calculated risks in one way or another. I never said 6500 was high, it's simply what most engines are limited to.

No, neither. I just have a grip on reality.

Do you sell new cars?

You could fool me. LMAO

Your defense sucks. lol
No, but I'm a part time mechanic and in a full time technical skilled trade.

You should be able to tell from my posts.

I don't do the Jiffy Lube oil change thing and walk clueless around a FUBAR car....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive