Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
your 5.0 will not work in your Expedition, only the 5.4L (VIN L, 8th digit SOHC).

Olston's Auto Recyclers -USA-NE(Lincoln) 1-800-223-7020 111K miles; 1200.00.

They are an AWESOME wrecking yard, I highly recommend them.
Wrong, any mod motor(exuding coyote and GT 5.8) will fit. If he wanted to, he could keep his bottom end and swap the heads from any mod motor, especially true with Romeo blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,750 times
Default Lincoln into the expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
If you just HAD to swap, why not try a DOHC 5.4L from a Lincoln clone if you can find one relatively cheap? Drop it in, flash the computer and have 40 more ponies right off the bat.

I'm not so sure the 5.0L, aside from cost, would be that big a deal to swap. Supposedly, the DOHC 5.0L is just a newer Triton, in a sense...I'd reckon you could tune the 5.4L computer and use a lot of what's around it in that Expy. As long as you can get by without the newer computer that needs to communicate with a whole bunch more stuff to even start up, I guess you could get by. The engine itself doesn't know what computer is running it, just that a computer is telling it what to do. Ford supposedly makes an ECM for this swap, anyway.

5.0 coyote swap in 97-03 f150? - F150online Forums
2002 5.4-5.0 swap - F150online Forums

$28k is a ton of cash for a base model truck. I'm fighting the urge, but I see a 2007 Lariat SuperCrew with 21k miles for $24k. I guess it looks better when I see Raptors for $54k and EcoBoost SuperCrews for $45k, but still...I remember the days when Ford was handing out base model Rangers for $9,000ish and base F150s for $12,000ish. Like in 2003.

Alfred,
Do you have any further information on this swap of the Lincoln into an expedition?
fragged spark plug into cylinder #6 no pressure and looking to pull the motor

Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 AM

348 posts, read 372,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Wrong, any mod motor(exuding coyote and GT 5.8) will fit. If he wanted to, he could keep his bottom end and swap the heads from any mod motor, especially true with Romeo blocks.
The OP suggested the NEW 5.0L, which is the 4V DOHC Coyote motor, which would take a colossal amount of time and effort to make work well/reliably in an old Expedition - definitely cost way more than the vehicle is worth. I'd go so far as to say most shops wouldn't even bother - he'd have to find some sort of custom hot rod shop which means big $$$, a few months of down time, and probably no warranty.

The OP is just best off driving as is as 1 quart/800 miles isn't bad - there's probably a couple of years left before it starts smoking or fails emissions. With the cost of good auto work these days it's rarely feasible to pay someone to replace an engine on an old high mileage vehicle unless it's some sort of hot rod or hobby.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,225 times
All of you are wrong! If you want to put in a Coyote, go for it! Why everyone says this can't be done, is beyond me, it is really not as difficult as everyone makes it sound!
First off, if there is a 4.6 or 5.4 mod motor in it, the Coyote will physically bolt right in! Even the trans can be used, although you better rebuild it and beat it up some! Good idea anyway, as we all know Ford transmissions can be inheritantly weak.
Vintage Air makes a front drive kit that will alow the use of power steering, etc.
Now secondly, in order to get it to run. Get a good manual, you're going to have to do some wiring! Number one on the list, get the FRPP controls pack. That'll take care of most of it! Do NOT remove the original computer!!! You need this to control trans, body, etc. But you are going to have to run thru your wiring to interface the new engine to your gages and timing. A timing adjuster box to interface the tach with new computer is helpful as well.
The coyote is not that hard of a swap! Anyone who tells you that it can't be done, or is to expensive is either scared or haven't done their homework! The ford mod engine, even the older 4.6 and 5.4 sohc, is an awsome engine. And very stout for stock engines. But.... You can not build one with 412hp and 390 ft lb for $7000! Not n/a anyway! And still get decent idle and gas mileage! And I don't know where the $15000 quote came from? But, with engine, control pack and shipping, you're still under $10,000! Order off eBay and most places ship free!
Of course there are other things to consider, price wise, tranny rebuild, fuel, etc. But anyone who can read a Chilton, can do this! At home! In your driveway! Yes it is that easy! Ford designed it that way!

Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM

Easy and at home in your driveway? Sorry, that is not correct.

First, the 412 hp Coyote is not a drop in replacement - engine accessories are in different spots and the Coyote is wider (DOHC vs. SOHC). So, to "drop it in" you'll need custom brackets, wiring, plumbing and exhaust.

Second, the existing transmission's bell housing will bolt up but it in the least will need custom wiring, ECU, programming and torque converter. I would not be surprised if the torque convert simply doesn't bolt up.

Third, there will need to be some sort of custom wiring and ECU to interface the Coyote to the existing vehicle.

Fourth, there is purchase of a non-warranty Coyote out of wrecked Mustang (eBay is showing "buy it now" prices averaging $5,000).

Lastly, the 412 hp Coyote is a terrible truck motor - power band is much too high (7,000 rpm red line ). With the stock transmission and gearing an Expedition would not be any faster, and perhaps slower, than the stock 5.4L modular.

The less powerful Coyote in the newer F150s is a suitable truck motor, but problems 1-4 still exist.

$15,000 sounds cheap and then you'd end up with something that isn't nearly as reliable and probably not any better performing than a 5.4L. And again, that for at best a $5,000 vehicle. The OP is simply best off either driving it till it blows up or spending $2,000 - $3,000 to have a junkyard 5.4L installed.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
For $15K to get the Coyote 5.0 installed one could get a very nice low mileage 2nd gen 2003-2005 Lincoln Navigator with the DOHC 32-valve 5.4L InTech V-8 any year after that used the Triton 5.4L SOHC 3-vlave shared with the F-Series and Expedition.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,225 times
Not only can you install a Coyote 5.0 at home! It isn't hard! I've already explained the troubles you listed! And the fix! Yes it is a drop in! No it's not pore performance! Yes I've already done it! My wife loves her 2000 EB Expo! All wheel drive! Getting 17 miles to the gallon, can light up all 4! And stomp just about any other truck on the road! Do some research! Everything in my truck works! Just like from the factory! Including the factory alarm system! Try doing it first, then tell me it can't be done! I'll still tell you that you're full of ****, and take you on the ride of your life!

Old 08-30-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo0218 View Post
Not only can you install a Coyote 5.0 at home! It isn't hard! I've already explained the troubles you listed! And the fix! Yes it is a drop in! No it's not pore performance! Yes I've already done it! My wife loves her 2000 EB Expo! All wheel drive! Getting 17 miles to the gallon, can light up all 4! And stomp just about any other truck on the road! Do some research! Everything in my truck works! Just like from the factory! Including the factory alarm system! Try doing it first, then tell me it can't be done! I'll still tell you that you're full of ****, and take you on the ride of your life!
No one said it can't be done, it's just that everyone is saying it will be a colossal amount of work and hugely expensive (esp. if you pay a pro to do it) versus simply just replacing it with another 5.4L. And it will be. There is no argument counter to that.

I regularly drive around in GM 6.2L-powered vehicles (Escalade, Silverado) either the older 403 hp/6 speed version or the new 420 hp/8 speed version. Both GM power trains are much torquier and faster than the Coyote/4 speed combo and neither of these GM vehicles can "light up all four (tires)". So, forgive of being skeptical of your claim of having done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive