Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 AM

632 posts, read 1,845,748 times

Advertisements

Do older car headlamps dim with age? I have a 1992 Toyota Camry in mint condition, less than 100k miles on it. We're gonna keep it until the wheels fall off. However, we're about to move out in the country with windy, hilly roads, and I'm worried about night driving with it. I always like driving our newer car at night because the lights seem brighter. Would replacing the headlamps make any difference? I don't want to spend a ton of money, etc., but if it'd make a difference, I'd want to do it for safety's sake.

Thanks!
Tab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,920,158 times
Are the lenses "weathered"? Changing the bulbs won't matter if your lenses are discolored. I recommened changing the bulbs and lenses.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,180,894 times
agreed on the lenses.

that being said, they do make brighter bulbs. just go into your auto parts store and ask. popular brands would be Sylvania (Silverstar is their brightest, i think), Hella, and PIAA. stay away from anything that's a higher wattage than stock or those horrendous blue bulbs that you usually find in the aisle with the aluminum wings, neons, and fartcan exhausts.

expect to spend $40-$50 for the set for the 'better' bulbs, though.

Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Okay, I understand about the lenses--maybe they've discolored slightly or gotten etched over the years.

Is this a do-it-yourself thing? I'm guessing, though, that you need something to aid in directing the beam, etc.?

A Slyvania ad on TV the other night is what got me thinking about the headlights and the road we'll now be traveling, etc.

Thanks!
Tab

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,920,158 times
Yes, you can easily do it yourself and save some money as well. You can align your headlights if you have a building or vertical platform. There are multiple guides online that show you how.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,693,889 times
^ What these guys have said is spot-on, Tabby.

Regarding your headlight lenses, as a rule of thumb if they are GLASS they will not fade or discolor. If they are PLASTIC they will. Whether or not it's worth replacing the plastic lenses is a matter of a opinion.

You also might want to consider installing a set of running lights. I've got them on my older VW Golf, and can turn them on when I have the headlights on Low Beam. They're not a directional beam, but rather just illuminate the area around the front of the car. I rather like them!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
Okay, I understand about the lenses--maybe they've discolored slightly or gotten etched over the years.

Is this a do-it-yourself thing? I'm guessing, though, that you need something to aid in directing the beam, etc.?

A Slyvania ad on TV the other night is what got me thinking about the headlights and the road we'll now be traveling, etc.

Thanks!
Tab
lemme guess, the Sylvania ad with the guy and the kid standing in the road? yeah, seen that one.

this is a fairly easy DIY with a few caveats. the wire harnesses are designed to not let you plug something in the wrong way or in the wrong direction, and the bulb itself also has tabs on it to assure you don't put it in incorrectly, either. and, in general, you shouldn't really have to do any adjusting so long as the bulbs are aimed properly now. here's a few things to remember:

1) the bulb is actually replaced from the backside (under the hood). sorry if this seems condescending, but after working an auto parts counter for a few years, you'd be surprised what i've seen. in fact, my own brother made this mistake on my dad's F-350. he thought you went at it from the front, so he began messing with the screws that are meant to adjust the headlight. he busted nearly all the adjusters. oops!

2) DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS PART OF THE NEW BULB!!!! halogen bulbs (unlike the bulbs in your turn signals and brake lights) are sensitive to oils in your fingers which can cause it to burn out prematurely. if possible, use disposable gloves (which most auto stores sell in single packs pretty cheap). if you use your bare hands, just be careful. and if you do touch the bulb, wipe it off with alcohol (preferrably isopropyl, but rubbing alcohol is OK).

3) i bet you the auto parts store associate will help you if you need it. most do not advertise this, though, so you'll have to ask. i THINK Wal-Mart advertises this as a free service (provided you buy the bulb from them, of course), but i may be remembering that incorrectly.

there only a few things that can make this complicated:

1) if there's stuff (for example, the battery) in the way of the bulb. i'm not sure if this will be the case with your car, though.
2) sometimes you have to feel out what you're doing since you can't see it.
3) you have one of those vehicles that uses the wire hoop thingy to hold the bulb in (like the 1st gen Ford Focus). you don't, so don't worry about that. all you do with yours is line up the tabs, insert, and give it a twist.

Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
To what's already been posted, I can only add that plastic lenses can be polished and improved if not restored to new condition. I know my 87 Camry has glass lenses.

NAPA also has a line of premium bulbs, a bit brighter than "regular" bulbs.

The bulbs themselves do lose brightness over their lifetime, they get dimmer long before they burn out.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To what's already been posted, I can only add that plastic lenses can be polished and improved if not restored to new condition.
yep. matter of fact, last time i was in an auto parts store i saw that companies like Mothers now make headlight restoration kits. you basically buff that haze out of the headlight. not sure how well they work, though.

Mike

Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks you guys for this wealth of information! I'm printing out all your helpful suggestions to go by.

I guess the dimming of the lights happened so gradually that I didn't really notice it until I realized there's a big difference between it and the newer car during night driving. I feel much more comfortable now, moving to our new, out-in-the-country home.

Thanks again!
Tabby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive