Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 36,220 times

Advertisements

the coyote will set in place aka (New 5.0L ) You do how ever have to modify some components. For example the new coyote is what the pros call throttle by wire system. as is most of the new cares these days. to convert over to this style system you will need to also purchase the conversion pack for the coyote. which is near 2 grand additional to the motor. This includes the majors to get you new crate started! for example:

- Electronic Throttle Control accelerator pedal eliminates throttle cable routing problems
- Unique controls pack harness replaces stock body harness and is designed for streetrod installation
- Features OBD-II diagnostic port to assist in vehicle calibration upload and problem diagnosis
- Includes unique downsized power distribution module, Air box, inlet tube, MAF sensor with bolts, and EGO sensors
- PCM with Ford Racing calibration requires return type fuel system, will not work with returnless fuel system

You can find every thing you need at: [url=http://www.latemodelrestoration.com]Late Model Restoration[/url]

This is a mustang site, but they sell the main coyote conversion stuff. Due to you not know the vehicle configuration fully I can t tell you everything but I can tell you this is a good place to start.

By the way the performance for the coyote is way better then any 5.4 triton, w/ close to 500hp on a configuration of this motor, forged internals. and if you get the Edlebrock built one with the supercharger you also get a 10 year warranty!

I just did this swap on a 2007 f150 with the 5.4l blown motor. bought the truck for 2500 from the parts and repairable section or auto rv put in like 15000 in repairing now worth 26000 kbb if I wanted to sell it but! I love it so no chance in you know where!

Last edited by Smoke862000; 07-03-2014 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: errors on my behalf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,175 times
your 5.0 will not work in your Expedition, only the 5.4L (VIN L, 8th digit SOHC).

Olston's Auto Recyclers -USA-NE(Lincoln) 1-800-223-7020 111K miles; 1200.00.

They are an AWESOME wrecking yard, I highly recommend them.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
This is a good point. Actually, a quart ever 800 miles isn't all that bad - even though it's likely to continue to get worse.

Several years ago I had a work truck that started going to pot. I couldn't afford to be without it, so I slogged it through an entire work season - almost a year - before I had a chance to roll it in the shop and swap engines. I was going through a LOT more oil than a quart ever 800 miles!
I've been doing a quart about every 1,000 miles for five years or so. Nothing else wrong with the vehicle, she just has a drinking problem.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:51 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Would a first Gen Lincoln Navigator DOHC 5.4 4-valve be a easy and or better choice for a swap into a 97-04 F150 or Expedition then the Coyote 5.0?

Upgrades came to the Navigator after only one model year in the interest of refining the vehicle and keeping it competitive. The 1999 Navigator initially came with the same 5.4 L SOHC V8 used previously, though it was revised to produce 260 hp (190 kW) at 4500 rpm and 345 lb·ft (468 N·m) of torque at 2300 rpm. Arriving later in the same model year replacing this engine was a new 5.4 L DOHC V8 that produced 300 hp (220 kW) at 5000 rpm and 355 lb·ft (481 N·m) of torque at 2750 rpm.

The new DOHC V8 was marketed under the name InTech, making it the second Lincoln engine, after the 4.6 L DOHC V8 of the Lincoln Mark VIII, to use this name. The rest of the Navigator's powertrain, including the transmission and rear axle, remained largely unchanged. Thanks to the new InTech V8, zero to 60 mph (97 km/h) acceleration times were cut to the mid-eight second range and towing capacity increased to over 8,500 lb (3,900 kg).

In 1999, Ford introduced the DOHC 4-valve 5.4 L in the Lincoln Navigator under the InTech moniker, making it the second engine to use this name. Ford later used versions of the DOHC 4-valve 5.4 L in the 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R, the Ford GTsupercar, and the Ford Shelby GT500. The DOHC 4-valve 5.4 L was also used in the Ford Falcon line in Australia under the Boss moniker until 2010, when it was replaced by a locally-developed, supercharged version of the 5.0 litre Modular V8.

The SVT Cobra R version of the 5.4 L 4-valve V8 had several key differences from its Lincoln counterpart. While the iron block and forged steel crankshaft were sourced directly from the InTech 5.4 L, the Cobra R powerplant benefited from new, high-flow cylinder heads that were designed with features developed for Ford's "Rough Rider" off-road racing program, application specific camshafts with higher lift and more duration than other 4-valve Modular cams, forged I-beam connecting rods sourced from Carillo, forged pistons that provided a 9.6:1 compression ratio in conjunction with the 52 cc combustion chambers, and a unique high-flow "cross-ram" style aluminum intake manifold. The Cobra R was rated at 385 hp (287 kW) and 385 lb·ft (522 N·m) though chassis dynamometer results have shown these ratings to be conservative with unmodified Cobra Rs often producing nearly 380 hp (280 kW) at the rear wheels.
Source: Lincoln Navigator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,823 times
Get a low mile used 5.4 from a wrecking yard. Preferably one with good oil change history, cam phasers a ***** with sludged up 5.4s.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I have a 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 that is near excellent condition. One major problem is motor is not good, using 1 qt./800 miles. It has 150,000 miles on it. Already put new tires, front brakes, serp. belt, and windshield.

Did not realize motor problems at first.

I have been looking at getting basic New transportation cause I'm tire of all repairs on older models. I have been looking at 2012 Ford F150 XL Plus Reg. cab, 8 ft. box 4x4 with 5.0 engine. After all rebates and trade allowance of 6000.00 on Expedition ( I owe 6000.00) the lowest price is 28,000.00 and that is a 600 mile round trip to get it.

So I was wondering if it would be better to put new crate motor in mine and if the new 5.0 would line up or could be modified some. Since everything else is in such good shape. I realize I might have to pay maybe 5,000.00 to install but still cheaper at 11,000.00 total than 28,000.00.

Any comments good or bad welcome.
You'll be money and busted knuckles ahead if you just bought a new car. Unless that Expedition is just that emotionally tied to you you'll be dropping some huge coin. You need to position the motor, get the transmission
Because your current one probably won't bolt up and f it did it would break because of the power/torque difference. Not to mention figuring out the driveshaft, the wiring harness to get the dash working, the modified exhaust, the radiator, the electric fans if the engine doesn't have a mechanical fan or can't physically have it due to solace constrictions. The fab work for motor mounts, the possible hood and fender clearances and the million little fab stuff you gotta do.
If it was some old mustang or hot rod I can see doing it. But run of the mill Exopedition? Just go get a higher performance motor version of what you currently have now.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
How's the transmission in that thing holding up?

Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You'll be money and busted knuckles ahead if you just bought a new car. Unless that Expedition is just that emotionally tied to you you'll be dropping some huge coin. You need to position the motor, get the transmission
Because your current one probably won't bolt up and f it did it would break because of the power/torque difference. Not to mention figuring out the driveshaft, the wiring harness to get the dash working, the modified exhaust, the radiator, the electric fans if the engine doesn't have a mechanical fan or can't physically have it due to solace constrictions. The fab work for motor mounts, the possible hood and fender clearances and the million little fab stuff you gotta do.
If it was some old mustang or hot rod I can see doing it. But run of the mill Exopedition? Just go get a higher performance motor version of what you currently have now.
Looks like he purchased another vehicle 2 years ago.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Looks like he purchased another vehicle 2 years ago.
Well hell I did it again

Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well hell I did it again
It's OK, we all do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive