Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times

Advertisements

For those of you who don't live in Michigan, have your alignment checked according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If they tell you it needs an alignment you may want to get a second opinion. If you are confident in the skills and honesty of the first shop then just do it. Your tires will last longer, your car will be easier to drive, and you will get better performance in an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 04:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
How often do you do wheel alignment on your car?

A) Every 5,000 miles
B) Every 10,000 miles
C) Every 50,000 miles
D) Whenever you change tires
E) Never
If it needs it, then I do it during seasonal tire changeover.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
For those of you who don't live in Michigan, have your alignment checked according to the manufacturer's recommendations. If they tell you it needs an alignment you may want to get a second opinion. If you are confident in the skills and honesty of the first shop then just do it. Your tires will last longer, your car will be easier to drive, and you will get better performance in an emergency.
Do you think a competent, experienced auto mechanic can tell simply by taking a test drive? The reason I'm asking is that I've been living in Western NC for 1-1/2 years and have used the same shop for repairs and regular maintenance. IMHO the owner has always been fair & honest. Before I left for a road trip in July, I asked him to perform a general inspection to make sure everything was running well. He checked all my belts and hoses, oil, fluids, etc. and took my car on a test drive. No noticeable problems.

As I wrote in my last post, today I had an oil change where I'm staying in Florida and was told my car needed an alignment. The shop's computer printout showed too much tilt. I was going to just pay for the oil change and leave, but after seeing the colorful images of the cambers, I was concerned that a long drive on the interstate might wreck my tires. So it's true that a picture is worth 1,000 words (or in my case $99 plus tax) Now 4 hours later, I'm wondering why they checked the alignment during a standard oil change. Is that customary in some shops?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
I have a 2007 Toyota Camry with 187,000 miles and have...NEVER..had the front end aligned. I can let go of the steering wheel at 70mph and it goes straight down the road.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:41 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
When getting new tires or whenever it needs it. With it being relatively pothole free here that generally means just when I get new tires.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Your vehicle will tell you, if it's pulling to one side or the other. And the tires will tell the tire salesman at the tire dealer who will tell you if there is uneven wear, cupping etc. Then you align the wheels. An all 4 wheels alignment is usually recommended.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
i do alignments when i replace suspension parts, or when i feel the need to have it done. usually when i start seeing weird tire wear or the car pulls one way or another.

tires get balanced when i replace them, and when i get a vibration.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm wondering why they checked the alignment during a standard oil change. Is that customary in some shops?

Probably.
They have to put vehicle up on a dedicated lift. Set up some expensive equipment. Have a qualified technician. And check.

This is a known scam for many chain shops such as Sears Automotive and many other local chains. Just to tell you that you need an alignment without really checking.

Now if it has been over a year with no alignment it was probably a good idea to get one anyway. But did they check the vehicle on the machine before they advised you it needed one. Probably not with caveat that if the shop had a real slow day and the alignment guy/gal was not busy they could have put it on dedicated lift.

For something such as an oil change it's best to stay with the vehicle and keep an eye out as to where it goes in the shop. And to speak with the mechanic who actually does the oil change. Follow the car at shop.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
I drive about 15,000 a year, I check the alignment every year.

This is the best answer.

Those that state that they wait for a problem . . . well . . . at that point it is probably too late . . . as they have screwed up a good set of tires.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I check my tires for unusual/uneven wear weekly, and have it aligned when needed, at the first sign of a problem. That seems to be maybe once over the life of a car, which I'll normally trade in at about 120-130k miles. I'm not about to waste money doing something not necessary to help fatten the wallet of an alignment or tire shop. It's like the oil change places putting 3,000 miles for the next change reminder on a windshield sticker when you have used synthetic blend, which will last 7,500 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive