Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:57 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,840,872 times

Advertisements

The most annoying things I'd have to say are people taking late model cars to shows, those that put velvet rope around their cars, checkbook mechanics, people who show up, park, setup a few lawnchairs and sit there all night. Also people who don't control their children,..I was standing next to a friend of mine at a show, showing me his brand new 10k paintjob on his GTO that was beyond flawless, while a young child came by, fell onto the car, put their hands all over it, tried opening the door,..and the parent holding their hand did nothing. We were both horrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:55 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,435,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The most annoying things I'd have to say are people taking late model cars to shows, those that put velvet rope around their cars, checkbook mechanics, people who show up, park, setup a few lawnchairs and sit there all night. Also people who don't control their children,..I was standing next to a friend of mine at a show, showing me his brand new 10k paintjob on his GTO that was beyond flawless, while a young child came by, fell onto the car, put their hands all over it, tried opening the door,..and the parent holding their hand did nothing. We were both horrified.
This is the best reason for not taking your flawless show piece to a show.

Don't you think an awful lot of guys are checkbook hot rodders these days?

Back in the day if you didn't build it yourself, you didn't have one.

Nothing wrong with rich guys owning the best they can buy but please stop pretending you are a car/performance expert. You bought it, you own it, but enough with the car expert speeches.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,301,212 times
Loaded question here! What I like about car shows is the people who have worked hard to have something nice are not hiding it. You can learn alot by looking at every car/truck at a show. What I hate is seeing these guys that advertise their car makes an estimated 650 hp and you look and it has stock heads on just a 350. ROFL !!! They have no clue!!! But what really gets under my skin is the idiots that let their kids run wild scraping the paint. It makes you decide who deserves the whipping more,the kid or the parent!!! I always pick the parent!I unlike some who sit there and take say something to them,and not politely. If their kids or them with chain hanging wallets scrae the paint on my ride, and try to walk away, I go after them and I've knocked more than 1 of them to the ground. Gets their attention . Did you know in many States it is vandalism or in some cities it is leaving the scene of an accident if you do damage to a car on the show field and walk away without trying to meet the owner of that vehicle and come to terms how to repair the damage? So when you see it happen, stop that person/parent anyway you have to, because they are on the hook to pay for the damages.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:19 AM

860 posts, read 2,209,905 times
I normally visit the Silicon Valley International Auto Show each January. What I like is the dirt cheap ticket price and the general free for all nature of car shows. You can sit in almost every car on display and there is always a luxury and exotic section to see. Also there will be test drives available which makes the experience all the more fun. The show will be held Thurs-Sun so I plan to make it on Friday and avoid the bigger weekend crowds. I suppose a few of the minor annoyances I experience are people sitting inside taking their sweet time inside a popular vehicle while many others are waiting and seeing certain cars protected by a velvet rope while other more expensive cars are open to the public to sit inside.

The best show IMO was the old GM Auto Show in Motion, where virtually every car was there to be driven including Corvettes and Hummers and everyone was given a lunch. Of course it was no surprise that it was discontinued given GM's financial problems, but hopefully it will come back someday.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM

635 posts, read 1,170,150 times
Absolutely hate when new cars show up at classic car shows. Sorry folks but your bone stock Mustang with an automatic belongs in a supermarket parking lot along with other boring econo-boxes.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,435,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Absolutely hate when new cars show up at classic car shows. Sorry folks but your bone stock Mustang with an automatic belongs in a supermarket parking lot along with other boring econo-boxes.
Reminds me of the time I went to a Corvette show and there was this beautiful 58 Corvette with the dog dish hubcaps and right next to it was a brand new Vette all pimped out with every pimp my ride Do-Dad you can imagine and the crowd was slobbering over that pimp mobile while nobody paid any attention to that 58.

You are the first person I have ever heard of that called a Mustang an econo box. Do you prefer brand new Corvettes?

Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM

56 posts, read 154,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Same here. What I miss are the days of the regular cruise night, where al teh kids and older car enthusiasts would simply show up downtown with everything from dad's station wagon to hot rods and customs. it wasn't formal, it was just people that used cars as social networking, but the cars were still the stars. While I like cars 'n coffee events, it's a little TOO elitist/snobby. And the segregationist attitude of those and marque shows show just how badly fractured the hobby has become.
Check out the Mid Atlantic Domestics. It's a relatively small club of enthusiasts that don't have $40,000 rotisserie restored muscle cars, just guys who like cars that meet up for cars 'n coffee at a Starbucks in the Glen Burnie area. Everyone is welcome and we keep it a family friendly event (no alcohol, no burnouts, etc.).

MAD Crew Forum • Portal

Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,273,054 times
Just thought I'd mention the Fabulous Fords Forever car show that is held at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA every year. Usually in April. Great family event.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,150,802 times
I used to like going to the annual car and truck show here at the local convention center venue but now less makers are coming out and less bang for the buck.
I did enjoy going and checking out the new models slated to make their appearance at the local dealerships without the sales pressure or having to drive to numerous locations.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM

635 posts, read 1,170,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You are the first person I have ever heard of that called a Mustang an econo box. Do you prefer brand new Corvettes?
I'm not a fan of any new cars since their wind-tunnel and crumple zone derived shapes leave me a bit cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive