Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,521,023 times

Advertisements

Here's my recent ones-

--People who don't signal before they change lanes. I wonder if they realize what a turn signal is for? I honestly think they don't. Turn signal is to let others know of your intent to change lanes in a reasonable amount of time. Allows other drivers to adjust and make room for you. The new thing I see is they speed up, jam on their brakes and cut over--even when it's not necessary and there is plenty of room.

--People who try to merge onto a freeway at 40mph when everyone is going 65

--People who don't know how to take turns at bottlenecks. Taking turns was taught in 1st grade in school but adults seem to really struggle with that one.

--These moronic idiots who think they can text and drive. Reminds me of drunks who say they can drive better when they are drunk.

--tailgaters--probably the only thing that is dumber than texting and driving
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 AM

30,334 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So someone who uses brains to make daily decisions irritates you? I guess that explains the "NoBama 2012" tag.
I have to agree with the other poster, regarding the "slow down and creep half a mile to the stop" complaint... as a stick-shift driver myself, that one really irritates me! Unless we're on a downhill slope, my car just doesn't "coast" the way an automatic does - so the creeping stuff is hard on my foot & clutch.

P.S. Imagine how I felt while living in San Francisco (always with a stick), and some idiots would creep UP a steep hill! That's when you just stop for a minute, let them get well ahead, and then gun it.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM

30,334 posts, read 51,925,382 times
And speaking of the left lane hogs, you guys would hate driving in California!! As one of my east-coast friends always reminds me, Californians have totally abandoned the idea of a passing lane. To most of us, it's simply the "fast lane" - and as long as you're going 75+ (in a 65 zone), you are welcome to stay as long as you'd like. But if somebody wants to go 80+, then it's polite to move aside until they pass.

This behavior probably stems from the fact that our freeways are overloaded, at least in the bigger metros like SF, LA, SJ & SD. Here in the Bay Area, we'd literally be at a standstill 24/7 if we kept the left lane clear for passers.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-11-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
seems i've found down here that drivers must assume that a sign at an intersection that reads "do not block intersection" must be french for " ya'll come on, we can fit a few more cars in here"...

or

green means go
yellow means hurry up
red means yes 2 more cars must pass thru

Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
4) People stopped at a stop sign on a road you are turning onto and moving forward while you are making the turn.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying on this one.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Here's my recent ones-

--People who don't signal before they change lanes. I wonder if they realize what a turn signal is for? I honestly think they don't. Turn signal is to let others know of your intent to change lanes in a reasonable amount of time. Allows other drivers to adjust and make room for you. The new thing I see is they speed up, jam on their brakes and cut over--even when it's not necessary and there is plenty of room.
While I agree that they should signal before changing lanes, the above sentence kind of made me laugh. Then your explanation added to it. If it's called a TURN signal, wouldn't that be what it was for, you know, to signal intent to turn. People might not think that it is also for changing lanes since it isn't a CHANGE LANE signal. Maybe they need a separate signal lever specifically for changing lanes. (I hope you know that I'm not being serious here).

Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
#1 Driving Pet Peeve:

People who tailgate you, then move to the lane over, floor it, then try to squeeze into the spot ahead of you. I purposely try to prevent them from entering the spot ahead if they pull this - what's the point of passing 1 car?

Others:

People driving trucks or SUVs who don't yield to your right of way expecting that you'd get out off the way (i.e. light's green, SUV turns right on red right in front of you at the last minute.)

People who drive LESS than the Minimum allowed speed on the Freeway when there's no traffic.

People who realize too late they're in the wrong lane for making a turn and try to make a turn anyways from that lane.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
I posted my "list" of irritating driving habits earlier but I want to say that I no longer allow people to "irritate" me while on the road. Being a little older I have developed very low expectations. I expect people to be idiots and rather than becoming irritated when they are I am pleasantly surprised when they aren't.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,869,933 times
Quote:
So someone who uses brains to make daily decisions irritates you? I guess that explains the "NoBama 2012" tag.
If you mean when they use brains to make the daily decision to hold up traffic, you got it Skippy, it is irritating.

And what does "I guess that explains the "NoBama 2012" tag" have to do with this subject?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
self righteous anger of those utterly in the wrong.
angry wrong stupid and aggressive, a bad combination
please stop tailgating, speeding and stopping on the freeway and backing up to catch an exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive