Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Not sure of what kind of budget you are on, or what you want to spend, but I have kinda figured you are in central FL, because some of the cars you have posted are in central Florida... I found this NICE car on Craigslist for $2000, OBO. Really nice, but not sure if you wanted to go this much or not. These are one of the best Ford Motor company cars made in the 70s. This one would have power steering, power brakes, A/C, etc.

1978 Lincoln Mercury!! (http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1810910063.html - broken link) (says Lincoln-Mercury, but its actually a Mercury Marquis)

For the kid this car would've been better IMO.

First it's BIG, Second it's in great shape (by what the photos show anyway), Third, he won't whip around corners in that "boat" hopefully making him a "safer driver" while still having a V8 under the hood.

Also, has good metal around him in case of a fender bender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
81 Firebird = awesome first car. Do get before and after pics, how much are you looking to spend on paint. $2000 isn't bad for a 81 Firebird where everything is in working order, how is the interior? Don't let him ever get rid of this as in time he could put in a 350 or higher.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The car is up and running with the 3.8 which has plenty of power.
I can't say i've ever heard that before unless it was a GN. Though glad to hear you got it going.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
81 Firebird = awesome first car. Do get before and after pics, how much are you looking to spend on paint. $2000 isn't bad for a 81 Firebird where everything is in working order, how is the interior? Don't let him ever get rid of this as in time he could put in a 350 or higher.
Paint is $350 w/ 2yr warranty. The interior is clean. The driver seat has some tears in the leather and it needs a new headliner, but that's about it.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The 301 is a complete piece of sh*t. I had one in my 80' formula and the thing was an absolute pig. I raced my friend in his mom's nissan mini-van once and i got whacked like it wasn't even funny. I took it to the track once as well. It had a mild cam, true dual exhaust and a 3.23 post rear and went a screaming 17.2 in the 1/4 mile.
Now that's just too funny right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The car is up and running with the 3.8 which has plenty of power.
What did the 3.8 you have in it now end up coming out of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Honestly, a v6 is more dangerous than a v8. Here is why. A car that heavy, with as little power as the v6 will have to get it moving will be dangerous when pulling out into traffic, or making a left turn across traffic. The reason is it simply can not get the car moving in a decent amount of time. More kids are in wrecks in slow cars than powerful cars. And it's those fender benders that will drive the insurance thru the roof. Remember those v6 powered cars were a danger to everyone on the road because of their lack of power. And fear of a engine with power is not the right way to approach teaching how to drive. Why am I alive? Because I was taught how to drive in a 455 powered firebird that at the easiest tap on the go pedal would light the rear tires. But I was able to learn how to steer if the back end slid out, plus use the engines power to control any sliding, and how to use that power to my advantage getting around corners. The 3rd car i ever owned was a "gas mileage" slug, and frankly, that v6's lack of power nearly got me killed everytime i had to pull out across a busy street by my house. I got hit in it because it couldn't pick up enough speed to match what was on the road in time and the guy who hit me didn't have very good brakes and could not slow down in time. i DON'T Drive slow crap after that.
Partially true. It sounds though that you're one of those types that will cut across the path of oncoming traffic at less than 30 feet. aka asking for trouble. Power to weight ratio is where it's at. However I used to drive a RWD Regal with a 110 hp V6, a Mercury Capri (Mustang knock off) with an 88 hp inline 6 and an Olds 88 with a 148 hp 307....all 3 of these cars were pooches that couldn't even spin a tire on pavement but never did I ever get in an accident as a result of "not enough power".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Because you have to build a sbc to keep up with everything else.
You my friend could not be any further from the truth.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:00 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
When did you have that Capri? I would like one but obviously with the 302

Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 PM

418 posts, read 1,090,279 times
A weak part that I know of ( experience ) is the motors for the power windows. Have fun with your Firebird.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:33 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
When did you have that Capri? I would like one but obviously with the 302
Back in 1997.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

Partially true. It sounds though that you're one of those types that will cut across the path of oncoming traffic at less than 30 feet. aka asking for trouble. Power to weight ratio is where it's at. However I used to drive a RWD Regal with a 110 hp V6, a Mercury Capri (Mustang knock off) with an 88 hp inline 6 and an Olds 88 with a 148 hp 307....all 3 of these cars were pooches that couldn't even spin a tire on pavement but never did I ever get in an accident as a result of "not enough power".

Actually it wasn't a matter if you were going to have a close call to pull out of that street. You never had a break in traffic.

You my friend could not be any further from the truth.
No, I'm dead on. A sbc is the most over rated engine ever built

Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
I would tend to think an engine built by companies like Honda or Toyota would have the most overrated engine ever built. I would definately take a 350 Chevy over anything built by the companies I mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive