Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 01:48 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times

Advertisements

Well, I havent seen anybody post about what great Tv ratings the Clash had regardless of the empty stands. Probably because they were worst than last year, hmmm must of been the Grammys.
https://www.jayski.com/2023/02/07/cl...um-tv-ratings/

Last edited by silas777; 02-08-2023 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 07:17 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
That was the worst part? I would say from the looks of the empty stands young Ben might return the reigns back over to the adults... Evidently the disgusting, blatant pandering, wokeness doesn't seem to be working, regardless of how many moronic stoned rappers you interrupt the race with.
I'm sure they will spin it as a success, but I imagine the cost of putting on that pathetic display, at some point has to matter to somebody.
More fans arrived for the main heat I noticed, but it was nowhere near a sellout.

Seems like a lot of folks enjoyed the musical entertainment. I took a break while it was on.

I believe NASCAR is committed to one more year at the Coliseum. After that who knows?

Old 02-09-2023, 08:41 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
More fans arrived for the main heat I noticed, but it was nowhere near a sellout.

Seems like a lot of folks enjoyed the musical entertainment. I took a break while it was on.

I believe NASCAR is committed to one more year at the Coliseum. After that who knows?
I saw an interesting item this week. Apparently whomever printed the tickets put the start time for the main event, not the start of the heat races. If this is true, someone needs to be fired.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:27 AM

6,474 posts, read 3,167,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I saw an interesting item this week. Apparently whomever printed the tickets put the start time for the main event, not the start of the heat races. If this is true, someone needs to be fired.
Good point!!

And on a somewhat related note, these west coast races are a bit "strange" for we "east coasters", as their running time extends well into the evening hours, when we have other things we need or want to do. Yes, a 3PM start time, for example, might be a reasonable time to start a race in California, but on the east coast, where a very large segment of the fans live, that's 6PM EST. That means the race won't end until after 9-10PM.....

Old 02-10-2023, 05:36 AM

5,677 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
They've been doing that for years, and technically, the heat races were NOT the main event, so theres that. My Winston tickets from the 90s make no mention of the open, just The Winston. On the back though, even though its been ripped in half, it does say, what I assume to be, Ticket good for The Winston Open, with it being torn right at the "F" in for. We always went in about 30 minutes before the Open.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:07 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
They've been doing that for years, and technically, the heat races were NOT the main event, so theres that. My Winston tickets from the 90s make no mention of the open, just The Winston. On the back though, even though its been ripped in half, it does say, what I assume to be, Ticket good for The Winston Open, with it being torn right at the "F" in for. We always went in about 30 minutes before the Open.

We got there about 2pm and just spent the day drinking.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We got there about 2pm and just spent the day drinking.
We spent the whole weekend there, sorta. We got there Friday, left Sunday. Use to **** off everybody with our generator running. Just jump the ditch, up the stairs and within 2 minutes I had popped the topped on, oh my 9th or 10th for the day. Went to the first night race, had to skip a year because well, I got married, then went 6 years straight after that.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
We spent the whole weekend there, sorta. We got there Friday, left Sunday. Use to **** off everybody with our generator running. Just jump the ditch, up the stairs and within 2 minutes I had popped the topped on, oh my 9th or 10th for the day. Went to the first night race, had to skip a year because well, I got married, then went 6 years straight after that.

My first year was either 97 or 98 and last was about 2006 or 2007.

Was there for the rain event in 2001, when the rain wrecked over half the field in Turn 2. That's the one where I tell the story about sitting up in the Diamond Tower, which is where I always got tickets, and had a great time with this black couple who was there. They were from Indy and always went to the 500, but were a little nervous about how they'd be received i the south.. I think (hope, at least) that we made a decent impression on them and make them feel welcome.. Because I thoroughly enjoyed talking to them about Indy car racing and they taught me a whole lot about it and made me a fan of it.

But, we were sitting up there under the overhang with them keeping dry, talking and just kinda watching a couple of younger folks (Hell, I was in my 20's at that time I guess) a few rows away who were drinking WAY more than we were, and.. Look.. We were on the far side of sober. Just not sloppy drunk or anything. And then the smell of pot started wafting up to us from those kids.. Then.. One of the drunk potheads had to go to the bathroom, apparently.

We were sitting somewhere around row 70. He hit the first wet step and he didn't stop until he hit row 1. Ass over teakettle all the way down. That was great entertainment during the rain delay.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
My first year was either 97 or 98 and last was about 2006 or 2007.

Was there for the rain event in 2001, when the rain wrecked over half the field in Turn 2. That's the one where I tell the story about sitting up in the Diamond Tower, which is where I always got tickets, and had a great time with this black couple who was there. They were from Indy and always went to the 500, but were a little nervous about how they'd be received i the south.. I think (hope, at least) that we made a decent impression on them and make them feel welcome.. Because I thoroughly enjoyed talking to them about Indy car racing and they taught me a whole lot about it and made me a fan of it.

But, we were sitting up there under the overhang with them keeping dry, talking and just kinda watching a couple of younger folks (Hell, I was in my 20's at that time I guess) a few rows away who were drinking WAY more than we were, and.. Look.. We were on the far side of sober. Just not sloppy drunk or anything. And then the smell of pot started wafting up to us from those kids.. Then.. One of the drunk potheads had to go to the bathroom, apparently.

We were sitting somewhere around row 70. He hit the first wet step and he didn't stop until he hit row 1. Ass over teakettle all the way down. That was great entertainment during the rain delay.
Folks, I have to appoligze for going OT here, but L18 do you know who Dixie is?

Old 02-10-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Folks, I have to appoligze for going OT here, but L18 do you know who Dixie is?

I know WHAT Dixie is.. But not a who. Well, other than Dixie Cousins who was a character on The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (There's an obscure reference for you)

FYI.. Talk about someone screwing up their travel plans.. I'm going out to LA this weekend doing a little family research.. My Great Grandfather moved from Chicago to Santa Monica in the late 40's and died out there in the 50's.. I found where he was interred last year and had a marker placed for him.. Now, trying to find out information regarding his second wife who died a year after him..

But.. I planned this trip a few months ago and.. didn't even click with me that this was Super Bowl weekend, OR the fact that the Clash was last weekend.

While I thought the clash pretty much sucked.. Even a bad race is better when you're watching it in person. And, apparently, I wouldn't have had problems getting tickets.

and.. we're not OT.. We're still talking NASCAR and it's still 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing