Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the points in 2021
Kyle Larson 24 92.31%
Darrel Bubba Wallace 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 11:54 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Hopefully HMS is not peaking too early.

Bubba was in the top ten for a decent part of the race. He needs a little luck, but the Chevy's are so strong this year. Had Bubba been in JGR type of equipment when they were on top, he would have seen a win or two by now.
Bubba isn't in Kyle's league. Not sure why anyone would compare the two. Bubba was running great until the team lost control of the tire. 14th isn't great, but everyone behind him was at least two laps down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 03:37 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Bubba isn't in Kyle's league. Not sure why anyone would compare the two. Bubba was running great until the team lost control of the tire. 14th isn't great, but everyone behind him was at least two laps down.
They are being compared because that is what this thread was started for. The title and poll question were pretty self explanatory . I started the thread because before the season started all we heard about was the new Superstar team of Wallace /Hamlin/Jordan ad nauseum... But nary a peep was mention about the other new team of Larson with Hendrick. So now we are seeing that ridiculous hype was indeed, just that... ridiculous hype, just as we saw with the other superstar Danica Patrick. Larson on the other hand has actually had the performance to warrant that "Superstar " status much like some of us knew he would.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:18 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
They are being compared because that is what this thread was started for. The title and poll question were pretty self explanatory . I started the thread because before the season started all we heard about was the new Superstar team of Wallace /Hamlin/Jordan ad nauseum... But nary a peep was mention about the other new team of Larson with Hendrick. So now we are seeing that ridiculous hype was indeed, just that... ridiculous hype, just as we saw with the other superstar Danica Patrick. Larson on the other hand has actually had the performance to warrant that "Superstar " status much like some of us knew he would.

I take offense to the Danica thing. That's an insult to Bubba.

While Bubba isn't winning and honestly is basically a mid-pack car.. He's mid-pack. Danica was a back marker. Who wrecked ALOT.

And blamed the team that, oh by the way had winning drivers in its other cars

https://www.sportscasting.com/danica...nascar-career/

Look.. You can't win in SHR equipment.. You can't win. Same can be said for Gibbs or Penske or Hendrick.

Now, those teams all have down years.. But not 5.

And, as I recall, as soon as Almirola went into the car.. It started winning and had a top 5 points finish.

Now.. Compare what Wallace has said..

Quote:
“This sport is tough,” Wallace said, via FOX. “It is hard at the top level. No one said it is going to be easy. Just because we have all the resources and partners in place, it doesn’t mean it is going to be a cakewalk for us.

“We have to go out and grind and establish ourselves first, and we’re doing that. We’re showing progression each and every step. I’m excited about that.”

Just words, but the right ones.

Is he doing as well as thought? No, certainly not. Is he a big pile of suck.. Well.. No. He's generally top-20, with blips. But.. He's certainly not GOOD now, either. a couple of those races, likely his fault he doesn't have a top 10. Some of them.. Teams fault. Some.. Just bad luck.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:59 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
I think Bubba knows he's a mid-pack driver, but the media thinks he's a superstar.

There are only so many "A" list drivers...mostly the current champions and a few others. 8 or 9 drivers in that list.

Maybe 10-12 in the B category. Drivers who have the potential to win or have snuck a win in recently. There could be a few "A" drivers in this list that are having an off season. Until Bubba gets a win, this is the level he's striving for.

A good chunk of the rest of the drivers are in the C category. Drivers, where a top-10 is a win and top-20 is a good day. Bubba is here right now. With potential to move up.

The final few are D drivers - anything other than a DNF is good day.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think Bubba knows he's a mid-pack driver, but the media thinks he's a superstar.

There are only so many "A" list drivers...mostly the current champions and a few others. 8 or 9 drivers in that list.

Maybe 10-12 in the B category. Drivers who have the potential to win or have snuck a win in recently. There could be a few "A" drivers in this list that are having an off season. Until Bubba gets a win, this is the level he's striving for.

A good chunk of the rest of the drivers are in the C category. Drivers, where a top-10 is a win and top-20 is a good day. Bubba is here right now. With potential to move up.

The final few are D drivers - anything other than a DNF is good day.

Talent-wise.. He's a B driver. He's not an Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, etc, etc.

He's an.. Almirola. A Jamie McMurray. A David Ragan.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I take offense to the Danica thing. That's an insult to Bubba.

While Bubba isn't winning and honestly is basically a mid-pack car.. He's mid-pack. Danica was a back marker. Who wrecked ALOT.

And blamed the team that, oh by the way had winning drivers in its other cars

https://www.sportscasting.com/danica...nascar-career/

Look.. You can't win in SHR equipment.. You can't win. Same can be said for Gibbs or Penske or Hendrick.

Now, those teams all have down years.. But not 5.

And, as I recall, as soon as Almirola went into the car.. It started winning and had a top 5 points finish.

Now.. Compare what Wallace has said..

Just words, but the right ones.

Is he doing as well as thought? No, certainly not. Is he a big pile of suck.. Well.. No. He's generally top-20, with blips. But.. He's certainly not GOOD now, either. a couple of those races, likely his fault he doesn't have a top 10. Some of them.. Teams fault. Some.. Just bad luck.
Agreed with a couple of caveats. They are similar in how they are promoted … when you see a promo for the next race etc...talking about the nascar stars and it shows Harvick, Kyle Busch ,Chase Elliot and , Bubba Wallace or Danica Patrick. To me that's insulting . In addition, Wallace's attitude playing the race card and affiliation with a Marxist organization such as Black lives matter (not to mention NASCARS!) Is disgusting. Its one thing if you have a punk attitude but can back it up (Kyle Busch) but when you are a mid pack also ran... spare me. Danica didn't have the race card but she had the vagina card... (remember when she was pissed at Hamlin and in his face actually shoving him in the chest). Obviously no male driver is going to get away with that. Just not a fan of the double standards and the pretend nonsense. I got to believe Wallace IS getting a good dose of humility right now , and when they bring in another driver that starts to out perform him... I bet he will start showing some maturity, focus on improving and hopefully leave all the racism garbage behind.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Talent-wise.. He's a B driver. He's not an Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart, Busch, Hamlin, etc, etc.

He's an.. Almirola. A Jamie McMurray. A David Ragan.
Appears Hamlin /Jordan are going to make talent a priority with their next hire...
https://www.jayski.com/2021/05/29/23...h-a-candidate/
When asked ... If you have a second car next year, is there a certain type of driver you’re targeting?

Hamlins response ... “A good one.”

Old 06-04-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Appears Hamlin /Jordan are going to make talent a priority with their next hire...
https://www.jayski.com/2021/05/29/23...h-a-candidate/
When asked ... If you have a second car next year, is there a certain type of driver you’re targeting?

Hamlins response ... “A good one.”

Word is they're going after Kurt.. Which.. Look, Kurt is talented as hell.. But.. It takes some work to put a team around him that will put up with him.

He's basically worn out his welcome everywhere he's been other than Ganassi.. And.. Well, SHR to an extent.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Agreed with a couple of caveats. They are similar in how they are promoted … when you see a promo for the next race etc...talking about the nascar stars and it shows Harvick, Kyle Busch ,Chase Elliot and , Bubba Wallace or Danica Patrick. To me that's insulting . In addition, Wallace's attitude playing the race card and affiliation with a Marxist organization such as Black lives matter (not to mention NASCARS!) Is disgusting. Its one thing if you have a punk attitude but can back it up (Kyle Busch) but when you are a mid pack also ran... spare me. Danica didn't have the race card but she had the vagina card... (remember when she was pissed at Hamlin and in his face actually shoving him in the chest). Obviously no male driver is going to get away with that. Just not a fan of the double standards and the pretend nonsense. I got to believe Wallace IS getting a good dose of humility right now , and when they bring in another driver that starts to out perform him... I bet he will start showing some maturity, focus on improving and hopefully leave all the racism garbage behind.

Look.. This happens. i mean, let's be honest.. Junior was rarely a 'top' driver. But he was 100% the face of the sport. He did have a few very good years, but..

Sometimes, people just get chosen to be.. 'the guy'.. For reasons other than talent. For the moment, that's Bubba. Previously, it was Danica..

Junior was AT BEST a borderline HoF candidate based on his driving career. But, he made it in.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:31 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
The reason you see Bubba’s face so much is two fold.

1. NASCAR is smart enough to know the old, white, redneck crowd hasn’t been watching or buying seats. They need a new demographic.

2. Michael Jordan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing