Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the points in 2021
Kyle Larson 24 92.31%
Darrel Bubba Wallace 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:10 AM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times

Advertisements

https://beyondtheflag.com/2021/06/29...bubba-wallace/

Entering Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway, the 19th race on the 36-race 2021 schedule, Bubba Wallace was one of only four points-eligible full-time drivers who had not yet secured a top 10 finish this year.

The other three? Front Row Motorsports rookie Anthony Alfredo, StarCom Racing’s Quin Houff, and Rick Ware Racing’s Josh Bilicki, three drivers with whom Wallace should probably not be keeping company in any statistical category.

As reported by Sports Business Journal‘s Adam Stern, Wallace received a text from Jordan after his fifth place finish which stated that his expectation is now that Wallace will finish every race inside the top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 01:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
https://beyondtheflag.com/2021/06/29...bubba-wallace/

Entering Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway, the 19th race on the 36-race 2021 schedule, Bubba Wallace was one of only four points-eligible full-time drivers who had not yet secured a top 10 finish this year.

The other three? Front Row Motorsports rookie Anthony Alfredo, StarCom Racing’s Quin Houff, and Rick Ware Racing’s Josh Bilicki, three drivers with whom Wallace should probably not be keeping company in any statistical category.

As reported by Sports Business Journal‘s Adam Stern, Wallace received a text from Jordan after his fifth place finish which stated that his expectation is now that Wallace will finish every race inside the top 10.

Someone at beyondtheflag must be reading my posts.. I said back in early May..

Quote:
There are 5 full time drivers without a top 10.

Wallace, Briscoe, Alfredo, Houff and Bilicki

That's NOT an area you want your name associated with

Briscoe got his at COTA.

Jordan has completely unreal expectations, apparently.

But.. They do need a teammate for him because they can't tell where the problem is right now. Driver or equipment. They bring Busch in there, who has a habit of being one of the unluckiest drivers.. I think they'll have a much better view of where they stand.

Bubba is certainly part of the problem. But.. How much of it? And, how long will it take him to learn? Sounds to me like the leash isn't all that long. No question he gets 2 years.. But.. Does it go past that?

Old 06-29-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Briscoe got his at COTA.

But.. They do need a teammate for him because they can't tell where the problem is right now. Driver or equipment. They bring Busch in there, who has a habit of being one of the unluckiest drivers.. I think they'll have a much better view of where they stand.

Bubba is certainly part of the problem. But.. How much of it? And, how long will it take him to learn? Sounds to me like the leash isn't all that long. No question he gets 2 years.. But.. Does it go past that?
"Do bear in mind the fact that Jordan said at the beginning of the year that he doesn’t sign checks for losers and he expected Wallace to win. Can he climb the next step and finish in the top 10 consistently?"

I heard Dale Jr once say that Kurt Busch is one of the best as far as identifying and explaining what his car needs.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:04 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Briscoe got his at COTA.

No doubt he is far from perfect. He’s screwed up, the team has screwed up, and luck has not been on their side. And yet he still sits #20 in the points.

On a brand new team.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
No doubt he is far from perfect. He’s screwed up, the team has screwed up, and luck has not been on their side. And yet he still sits #20 in the points.

On a brand new team.

20th in points is not where he was expected to be, nor where Jordan wants to be, I'm sure.

If he were 20th in points with some top 5's and top 10's.. Or 20th with a couple of wins.. That's.. Something completely different. That's where we start looking at him as a "checkers or wreckers".. Which.. Is problematic in its own way.

20th in points right now is nothing exceptional because they're only getting 38 cars per race. And 10 of those are.. Pretty bad cars.

But.. You have points. And, there's others near/behind him that are FAR more shocking. Chastain is a bit surprising he's so far back.. The vast majority of SHR.. DiBennedetto.

And.. I will say.. Daniel Suarez is with a brand new team as well and is ahead of him. One that is NOT getting cars from JGR. He's someone who is quietly getting the job done. And if he's not turning heads.. Those heads have something wrong with them.

A positive.. The gap between Wallace and Erik Jones, who.. I think we all agree is a very good comparison, continues to grow. and.. That needs to continue happening. Because.. Where he's been running.. I'm not sure will cut it.. He has PLENTY of slack (ok, that's NOT racist!) with sponsors that believe in him.. But.. That will only stretch so far.

Another thing.. You'd think that you'd see some commercials with him.. Now, I tend to DVR and FF through commercials, but.. They don't really seem to be 'activating' their sponsorship with him. McDonalds should 100% have him in a commercial, as should DoorDash.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:20 PM

Suarez has been really good. He got the short end at JGR. But it also isn’t a totally new team. It’s Leavine Family Racing re-branded. I think he’s a better driver than Bubba.

But…..I think Almirola is better and he’s 80 points behind Bubba. He’s had a lot of the same stupid stuff happening that Bubba has.

23XI was probably the best and worst thing for Bubba. Too high profile. He’d have been better as the 4th guy on a big team.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:43 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Quote:

23XI was probably the best and worst thing for Bubba. Too high profile. He’d have been better as the 4th guy on a big team.
I think 23XI had no choice but to go with Bubba. The media would have had a field day if Jordan had gone with a white driver.

In the lower series, which I don't follow much, is there any drivers of color that are ready to move up?

Old 06-30-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I think 23XI had no choice but to go with Bubba. The media would have had a field day if Jordan had gone with a white driver.

In the lower series, which I don't follow much, is there any drivers of color that are ready to move up?
Not of color. But a Hallie Deegan is probably the next name you'll hear. She's in trucks now and not really ready to move up, but NASCAR wants diversity.

NASCAR just hired Alvin Kamara as their "growth and engagement advisor". I'm sure there is a group that's positively apoplectic about that.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Not of color. But a Hallie Deegan is probably the next name you'll hear. She's in trucks now and not really ready to move up, but NASCAR wants diversity.

NASCAR just hired Alvin Kamara as their "growth and engagement advisor". I'm sure there is a group that's positively apoplectic about that.

Oh, i've been hearing it.. Unfortunately, this year, it's been in the context of "Hailie Deegan goes around" or "Hailie Deegan is involved in the crash"

She's NOT been impressive in trucks. She did well in a championship caliber team in the K&N series. In fact, in a car that had won the three previous championships.

Not ready to give up on her, but.. She took the learning curve too fast it would appear.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:59 AM

Wallace finished ahead of all his teammates for a 13 th place finish. In fact the highest finishing Toyota. How about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing