Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:19 PM

68,343 posts, read 54,462,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
If the coronavirus situation causes a worldwide recession, it will probably massively affect the 2021 F1 season.

Haas was talking of possibly dropping out even before this happened. Will Williams survive? Other small teams? I can even see the higher-ups at Mercedes saying we can no longer afford this huge expense.

Perhaps some good will come of it if they eliminate the expense of ERS systems as well as change some regs to make the aero package a little more simple and less costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 02:09 PM

5,468 posts, read 8,196,025 times
Something to watch while sheltering in place. An Amazon box does a lap at Spa. Sounds like it has a pre-hybrid engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqAez2S4gBA

Old 03-23-2020, 12:35 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
I'd rather watch a box on a hot lap or the current craze of marble races on Youtube over watching a bunch of highly paid adults playing video racing games.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-24-2020, 09:46 AM

290 posts, read 212,994 times
Maybe you should try out a racing video game. Simulators are widely used in professional motorsports for driver training, circuit familiarization and even setup choices. The current video games approach this level of realism and vehicle dynamics. You might be surprised at how challenging it is and how much skill is needed to just get around the circuit. The fact that some pro drivers approach their real lap times without any seat of the pants input is impressive. And look at the spread through the field, with accomplished drivers like Johnny Herbert unable to adapt. I'm not a gamer, but I'm considering getting a setup, because I'm looking to use my time to grow and learn, not waste it on inane commercial advertisements. But to each her own, as they say.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:09 PM

13,584 posts, read 15,682,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Maybe you should try out a racing video game. Simulators are widely used in professional motorsports for driver training, circuit familiarization and even setup choices. The current video games approach this level of realism and vehicle dynamics. You might be surprised at how challenging it is and how much skill is needed to just get around the circuit. The fact that some pro drivers approach their real lap times without any seat of the pants input is impressive. And look at the spread through the field, with accomplished drivers like Johnny Herbert unable to adapt. I'm not a gamer, but I'm considering getting a setup, because I'm looking to use my time to grow and learn, not waste it on inane commercial advertisements. But to each her own, as they say.
Simming is pretty cool. I've been doing it since 1994, with Papyrus's Indycar Racing. The modeling has gotten better and better, and it's to the point where the modeling is remarkably similar to a real race car.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:38 AM

5,468 posts, read 8,196,025 times
The Energizer Bunny

"Ecclestone, 89, to be father again": https://www.grandprix.com/news/eccle...her-again.html

Old 05-12-2020, 05:37 AM

6,469 posts, read 8,199,299 times
Sebastian Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of season as contract talks fail

"Four-time world champion and Ferrari agree to part ways after six years at the end of 2020; Vettel to take time to reflect on future; Ricciardo and Sainz early favourites to replace him"

I hope they go for Ricciardo.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Sebastian Vettel to leave Ferrari at end of season as contract talks fail

"Four-time world champion and Ferrari agree to part ways after six years at the end of 2020; Vettel to take time to reflect on future; Ricciardo and Sainz early favourites to replace him"

I hope they go for Ricciardo.

I think whoever fills Seb's seat will very much depend on whether Ferrari names Leclerc their #1 driver or if they will allow that position to be determined by on-track performance as well as the team building abilities of both drivers..

Old 05-12-2020, 11:09 AM

290 posts, read 212,994 times
Now that Vettel is in a contract year and needs to outperform to get a new contract elsewhere, I wonder how he'll cope with the added pressure and whether he'll make more or fewer mistakes than previously. It could get ugly, especially in any on-track battles with LeClerc. Maybe Vettel plans to leave F1 for DTM or another series, in which case he'll probably be much less aggressive this year.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
Now that Vettel is in a contract year and needs to outperform to get a new contract elsewhere, I wonder how he'll cope with the added pressure and whether he'll make more or fewer mistakes than previously. It could get ugly, especially in any on-track battles with LeClerc. Maybe Vettel plans to leave F1 for DTM or another series, in which case he'll probably be much less aggressive this year.

With all the virus stuff going on it's likely to be a strange year. For me, the two big questions are will there actually be any racing and will all the teams survive to contest the 2021 season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing