Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 05:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
They may gouge themselves out of existence. If the fans stop coming, then NASCAR could drop a race. That would hurt a lot of people in that area.

maybe you need to learn how the hotels work. there is no constant stream of guests going to hotels in many areas of the country. yes new york vega, LA, chicago, and a few other big cities dont have the same slow down in occupancy from on season to off season, but how many people go to say bristol virginia for anything other than the races there? sure there are those that stay one night , but most people tend to drive by the town. that means those hotels need t make their money when the big events come to town, to cover their expenses when the occupancy rates are much lower.

go work at a hotel for a few years and see what i am talking about, you might learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM

5,243 posts, read 6,164,594 times
To continue on with this topic here is a link from an article about attendance at Bristol.

Hopefully the drivers and NASCAR can work together to figure a way to help the sport stay alive in the future.

I am graduate of the school of hard knocks (which means these business guys should be smarter than me) but it kills me that these guys running multi million dollar businesses with the ability to hire the smartest business minds available and also have the technology in their hands to mine millions of bits of information about the consumer public desires still find a way to completely ignore the future to grab the money of today. Right now NASCAR should know it's demographics and whether the need to tighten up the schedule to cut back on the tracks to the most popular ones.

It was easy to see NASCAR grew to fast just like Harley Davididson should have known us Baby Boomers were going to fade away just as there sales would follow with us.

When you have two years of decline, you stop and figure out if this is a trend......don't keep hoping things will get better like NASCAR did.

https://thefanatic.com/racing/2019/0...ce-challenges/

Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,908,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
They may gouge themselves out of existence. If the fans stop coming, then NASCAR could drop a race. That would hurt a lot of people in that area.
This is not totally true. While they may pull a race from some tracks, it's pretty common knowledge that NASCAR will keep "racing" at Indy even if the stands are completely empty. The only way that farce ends is if IMS gets tired of the black eye NASCAR gives them every year and decides to pull the plug themselves.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 PM

so truex wont he race tonight, with logano in tow and bowyer in third place and harvick in fourth.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:39 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
maybe you need to learn how the hotels work. there is no constant stream of guests going to hotels in many areas of the country. yes new york vega, LA, chicago, and a few other big cities dont have the same slow down in occupancy from on season to off season, but how many people go to say bristol virginia for anything other than the races there? sure there are those that stay one night , but most people tend to drive by the town. that means those hotels need t make their money when the big events come to town, to cover their expenses when the occupancy rates are much lower.

go work at a hotel for a few years and see what i am talking about, you might learn something.
Since you obviously come from the lineage of Barron Hilton, maybe you should take all of your vast hotel corporate experience and explain it to NASCAR.

From 2019:

Quote:
Hotels along the Tennessee-Virginia line near the iconic NASCAR track have pushed one of the most popular venues on the circuit beyond the budget of the average attendee. Bowyer made a handful of calls and said he was outraged to discover lower-end lodging starting at more than $300 a night.

“I was so glad Clint brought that up,” said Marcus Smith, president and CEO of Bristol’s parent company Speedway Motorports Inc. “It’s a crazy number some of these hotels are charging and it’s just unfortunate. We continue to work with the business bureaus at all of our speedways and it is a challenge we are trying to find solutions to while working with the local business leaders.”
From 2018:

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/statu...642882?lang=en

From 2017:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/day...-price-gouging

From 2009:

Quote:
Representatives from Daytona International Speedway have been working with local hotels in order to stop the price-gouging and make rooms more affordable for fans during these dire economic times.
So I was just repeating what was in the news. If you want to enlighten someone, there are about a dozen newspapers, drivers and executives you need to contact.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM

as i noted before, EVERY TIME there is a special event in town, hotel rates go up across the board. go to vegas when SEMA is there, or when the home and garden show is there. come to tucson when the gen and mineral show comes to town.

the reason is that these places in many areas dont get a lot of tourist business, vegas is unique in that manner, so they up the rates to get as much profit as possible to carry them through the slow season. the people that run these properties know when the busy season is and when the slow season is. its just like in your line of business, what ever that is, you know when the busy season is, when the low season is, etc. for instance if you work in a supermarket, you know what the regular best sellers and worst sellers are. and you know that during the year those slow sellers sometimes sell out, so before that happens, you order more to cover the run they get for that period of time.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:44 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Quote:
as i noted before, EVERY TIME there is a special event in town, hotel rates go up across the board. go to vegas when SEMA is there, or when the home and garden show is there. come to tucson when the gen and mineral show comes to town.

the reason is that these places in many areas dont get a lot of tourist business, vegas is unique in that manner, so they up the rates to get as much profit as possible to carry them through the slow season. the people that run these properties know when the busy season is and when the slow season is. its just like in your line of business, what ever that is, you know when the busy season is, when the low season is, etc. for instance if you work in a supermarket, you know what the regular best sellers and worst sellers are. and you know that during the year those slow sellers sometimes sell out, so before that happens, you order more to cover the run they get for that period of time.
I doubt if those hotels were built specifically for one or two times a year that a NASCAR track is used. So if they feel that charging 3X the rate for 2-4 days of the events, will carry them through the year, then they are in the wrong business.

There is a lot of chatter about the spring Bristol race being dropped due to lack of attendance. So now I suppose these hotels will have to charge 6X the rate to make up for their shortcomings for the remaining race.

I can understand somewhat, of jacking up rates for the SuperBowl, since it only comes around to a city every so often. And the people who attend the SB are usually wealthy, because the tickets are thousand of dollars or comped to people of wealth. Also can't blame a NASCAR event hotel of raising rates for the race over the normal rack rate. But what I'm saying and many in NASCAR are saying is don't kill the goose who laid the golden egg. Keep the hike within reason. A 50% hike is much easier to swallow and understand than a 300% hike.

On a similar note, the owner of the Atlanta Falcons who run the Mercedes Benz Stadium, lowered prices of food to just barely enough to cover their costs. They felt that charging $5 for a hotdog wasn't right. Since their price drop, their sales have increased. Everybody's happy. Families are flocking back to the game and filling seats.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 PM

well then perhaps you have a business opportunity here. raise the money and go build a hotel in bristol, and run it like you see fit. come back in a couple of years and tell me how that went.

and remember i have 25 years experience in the hotel business across the country.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:33 PM

chase elliot led alex bowman, ryan preece joey logano, and daniel hemric for the win today. good job chase in putting the elliot name back in the winners circle at talladega.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:57 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
chase elliot led alex bowman, ryan preece joey logano, and daniel hemric for the win today. good job chase in putting the elliot name back in the winners circle at talladega.

Confusing race.. I would have loved to see that last lap go green. I'm not sure where I fall on it, whether it was a good race or not. I did fall asleep midway through and missed most of the second segment, so, that says something right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing