Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times

Advertisements

i think you guys are kind of missing the point. stage racing has made the early and middle parts of the race better because every one has something to fight for possible seeding in the championship run. the other thing is, early race winners cant really go on cruise control as much as you think. remember that even though they won an early race, they still have to finish in the top 30 in points to qualify for the chase.

and if there are 17 winners in the first 26 races, one of those winners is not going to make the chase based on points, be it season points or stage points, depending on how nascar has that set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:17 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i think you guys are kind of missing the point. stage racing has made the early and middle parts of the race better because every one has something to fight for possible seeding in the championship run. the other thing is, early race winners cant really go on cruise control as much as you think. remember that even though they won an early race, they still have to finish in the top 30 in points to qualify for the chase.

and if there are 17 winners in the first 26 races, one of those winners is not going to make the chase based on points, be it season points or stage points, depending on how nascar has that set up.
100% agree. I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to get rid of the stage racing. It creates so much action throughout the whole race and not just the last few laps of the race. Some of the best action all last season was near the ends of the stages when you had 4-5 cars jockeying for position to try and get a few extra stage points.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
I often wonder if the reason the 2nd place guy can't catch up is aero or just a better car/driver?

Old 03-26-2019, 06:25 PM

17,611 posts, read 15,298,210 times
What.. The.. Hell

Daytona July race is now August and the regular season finale.

Pocono has a Saturday/Sunday Cup doubleheader

Phoenix is the finale

Homestead is in March

Bristol night race is in the chase

Indy gets the July 4th spot

I'm not a fan of the Indy/Daytona swap. July 4th is tradition.. I don't like screwing with that.

Not sure I like 2 races at one track in 2 days. That would be neat for something like a Darlington and Rockingham. Run The Rock on Saturday and Darlingon on Sunday since they're only 50 miles apart and are pretty different tracks... But the same track?

Old 03-26-2019, 06:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I often wonder if the reason the 2nd place guy can't catch up is aero or just a better car/driver?

some times it the better car, some times its the better driver, some times its the aero package. and some times its none of the above, its the difference in setups for the track in question. some tracks are sensitive to car setup, and martinsville is one of those. if you think there are going to be multiple cautions flags, then you set up a short run car, meaning the handle goes away after a certain number of laps, and if you dont get a caution you were planning on, you fall back in the pack. if you are thinking that there will be few cautions, you set up for a long run, understanding that you will lose ground early in the run, but the track comes back to you late and you gain positions.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What.. The.. Hell

Phoenix is the finale

Homestead is in March

I'm not a fan of the Indy/Daytona swap. July 4th is tradition.. I don't like screwing with that.

Not sure I like 2 races at one track in 2 days. That would be neat for something like a Darlington and Rockingham. Run The Rock on Saturday and Darlingon on Sunday since they're only 50 miles apart and are pretty different tracks... But the same track?
Seems like shaking up the schedule just to say they did it. I hate Pocono, so at least it will be over on one weekend.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
I never imagined they would mess with the Daytona July 4th race.

Better hope Harvick isn't in the last 4. Don't want to face him at ISM.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:51 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
What.. The.. Hell

Phoenix is the finale

Homestead is in March

Big fan of the schedule changes. Only thing I'm not a big fan of is Daytona not being on the 4th. However, it is going to be AWESOME having Daytona the final race of the regular season. Especially for winless drivers fighting for a playoff spot.

Bristol in the chase is awesome.

Never was a fan of Miami so I'm glad they moved to ISM. (Bet Kyle and Kevin are happy about that)

I'm glad we only have to suffer through 1 weekend of Pocono instead of 2.

Glad they moved Atlanta back to after the west coast swing.

Martinsville at night is going to be CRAZY.

Overall I like the changes. Can't imagine what the 2021 schedule is going to look like after the current contracts expire. Expecting a few more short tracks and road courses. Which I think everyone is rooting for.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 AM

5,677 posts, read 5,898,735 times
Think the stands are empty now, and ratings are down - just wait!

Old 03-27-2019, 09:08 AM

17,611 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Big fan of the schedule changes. Only thing I'm not a big fan of is Daytona not being on the 4th. However, it is going to be AWESOME having Daytona the final race of the regular season. Especially for winless drivers fighting for a playoff spot.

Bristol in the chase is awesome.

Never was a fan of Miami so I'm glad they moved to ISM. (Bet Kyle and Kevin are happy about that)

I'm glad we only have to suffer through 1 weekend of Pocono instead of 2.

Glad they moved Atlanta back to after the west coast swing.

Martinsville at night is going to be CRAZY.

Overall I like the changes. Can't imagine what the 2021 schedule is going to look like after the current contracts expire. Expecting a few more short tracks and road courses. Which I think everyone is rooting for.
Well.. We have no idea what Daytona is going to be like. So... Perhaps waiting until after Talladega this year to say whether that's going to be good or not. Remember.. Plates are gone. the racing is bound to be different. What we don't know is different good or bad. Keselowski is actually predicting that tandem racing will return.. I certainly hope not.

Ford had a big deal with Homestead for Ford Championship Weekend.. Wonder what happens to that.

You still have to suffer.. It's Pocono then Indy. about the same.. Only difference is that one of them only has three turns.

I like the Atlanta move, gives a little better shot at not having really bad weather.

Martinsville under the lights.. I worry about that one simply because of the date. Mother's day.. And being May.. The average low for Martinsville in May is still 49 degrees.I think

The entire June to August stretch kinda sucks.. Chicago, Pocono, Indy, Kentucky and New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing