Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Ferrari conducted their test a few weeks prior. It was said Force India did one too.

If anyone is to "blame" though, both Mercedes and Pirelli would be at fault.
Apparently FIA has been approaching other tire manufacturers (Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Hankook are the ones I've seen mentioned) about being a supplier and they've all passed on the "opportunity" - if Pirelli gets slapped around by the FIA, they may find themselves short a tire supplier.

Also remember that the race is on broadcast NBC live (right after their scheduled French Open tennis - at least here on the left coast - so it may be delayed at the start) and the practice and qualifying are on NBCSports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,961 times
Quote:
It's not just the Q3 cars being punished though. They all suffer. The Q3 cars are still way faster.
But they are forced to start with the set they qualified. The others can not only choose compound, but also put a new set. That's why 2 to 4 cars are sitting out Q3 or just doing an installation lap, so they can at least start with a new set.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
But they are forced to start with the set they qualified. The others can not only choose compound, but also put a new set. That's why 2 to 4 cars are sitting out Q3 or just doing an installation lap, so they can at least start with a new set.
True.
They still hardly give the top teams a run for their money though.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Apparently FIA has been approaching other tire manufacturers (Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, Hankook are the ones I've seen mentioned) about being a supplier and they've all passed on the "opportunity" - if Pirelli gets slapped around by the FIA, they may find themselves short a tire supplier.

Agreed.
I'd be surprised if Pirelli doesn't call it quits within the next two seasons.
I hope they go back to multiple manufacturers. Or let the teams find their own supplier of their choice.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
Excellent work by Bottas. Finland certainly know how to breed terrific racing drivers.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Excellent work by Bottas. Finland certainly know how to breed terrific racing drivers.
Yeh he did good.

The documentary "Senna" is on at 5pm on NBC-SN.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Mercedes has a hearing on June 20th regarding their test with Pirelli.
So will see what happens.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
The documentary "Senna" is on at 5pm on NBC-SN.
What a awesome documentary and what a Legend he is.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Quote:
What a awesome documentary and what a Legend he is.
Although I tended to be more of a Prost fan (particularly after watching Sena deliberately put Prost out to gain a championship), he was an amazing driver. Looking forward to the (probably heavily fictionalized) movie about James Hunt and Niki Lauda, too, which comes out in September. It's gotten mixed reviews (mostly for Chris Hemsworth's performance), but the car footage looks good, although I expect it will be quite crash-heavy, which I never enjoy.

click for a "teaser trailer"
Rush (2013) - IMDb

Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Although I tended to be more of a Prost fan (particularly after watching Sena deliberately put Prost out to gain a championship), he was an amazing driver. Looking forward to the (probably heavily fictionalized) movie about James Hunt and Niki Lauda, too, which comes out in September. It's gotten mixed reviews (mostly for Chris Hemsworth's performance), but the car footage looks good, although I expect it will be quite crash-heavy, which I never enjoy.

click for a "teaser trailer"
Rush (2013) - IMDb
Yeh I thought that was a pretty stupid move by Senna in that race. I remember watching that race live.

I'm looking forward to "Rush" too. The director seemed to have done his homework on the sport when they interviewed him before the Monaco race. I just hope they didn't fictionalize it too much and make it too far fetched. Always seems to happen in movies like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing