Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,824 times

Advertisements

My schedule is the same, but we never watch any of it live. It wouldn't be too difficult, we're central time so it's only 6:30AM but I HATE the commercials. Not only that, but for us it's a family activity. We typically watch the races in the late afternoon or evening and I cook a meal that is native to the country that the race is in. Barcelona was the exception, it was Mothers Day and I didn't really want to spend 2 hours cooking a labor intensive traditional Spanish meal lol. But so far I've made Australian meat pies, mango chicken curry (Malaysia), orange chicken (I know it's not traditional Chinese but I was craving it), and Bahraini chicken machboos (probably my favorite meal so far).

I also saw the talk about Pirelli not being able to alter the compound... I also wonder how much this will actually affect on what they'll do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
My schedule is the same, but we never watch any of it live. It wouldn't be too difficult, we're central time so it's only 6:30AM but I HATE the commercials. Not only that, but for us it's a family activity. We typically watch the races in the late afternoon or evening and I cook a meal that is native to the country that the race is in. Barcelona was the exception, it was Mothers Day and I didn't really want to spend 2 hours cooking a labor intensive traditional Spanish meal lol. But so far I've made Australian meat pies, mango chicken curry (Malaysia), orange chicken (I know it's not traditional Chinese but I was craving it), and Bahraini chicken machboos (probably my favorite meal so far).

I also saw the talk about Pirelli not being able to alter the compound... I also wonder how much this will actually affect on what they'll do.

Damn! I want to come watch a GP at your house!!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
So F1 has apparently issued a statement that Pirelli cannot change tire compounds unless there is a safety issue. I say "issued a statement" because I am not sure that will actually have any affect on Pirelli's plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post

Maybe they change something with the way the rubber is made that will result in better wear without changing the compound.

I'm sure the drivers may have something to say though.

As for watching it live, I watched the first race live. But the commercials get annoying. Wish we never had any like overseas. I get up early sometimes though or stay up late and start watching about 45-60mins into the race. Pre-recorded of course. That way I can still FF and then catch close to the end live. Haven't quite got the right timing yet though. Wouldn't mind the last one or two commercial breaks. Just time to get more coffee or run out for a quick smoke.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Just finished watching Practice 2 (the NBCsports schedule was wrong, instead of P1 and P2, I got two recordings of P2, grrr) and Qualifying. Semi-wet qualifying, always interesting to see the various strategies.

And, wow, NBC actually sent Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett to Monaco! It's been awhile since the commentators were actually at the race (SPEED sent Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett to Austin the week before but pulled them back to the studio for the actual race). I seem to recall some contretemps that Hobbs and Varsha got in with the F1 establishment, decades ago, that got them uninvited for several years, but I don't remember what it was. Pretty much had to be criticism of Bernie. But it has been $$$ that's kept them in the US in the SPEED years.

And, David Hobbs, I have enjoyed listening to you for years, but that comb-over has GOT to go.

Also, NBC, "the first time F1 has been on network television!" Not even close. Remember the Wide World of Sports?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Gonna be a pretty interesting race I think. Depending on weather, tyres might not be such a big issue this race. Mercedes could actually have a shot at this one.

And yes, pretty cool/surprising that they(commentators) were sent to Monaco.

Gotta say, NBC is doing a pretty good job. Much better than their news...lol

Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 PM

Just watching the post qualifying interview with the top 3 and Vettel just looks so miserable that he's not on top.

Hamilton seems to have a much better attitude/persona this season though.

Actually hope Mercedes does well tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:43 PM

Next season is also going to be interesting with the renewed Mclaren/Honda partnership again.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
Monaco is often a big snooze for the TV audience but as a spectator it is better than most other tracks. I was there for the 2010 training. The whole atmosphere was terrific.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Monaco is often a big snooze for the TV audience but as a spectator it is better than most other tracks. I was there for the 2010 training. The whole atmosphere was terrific.
Yeh I would love to experience it in person. Very boring race really for the TV audience. Just not much passing.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:12 PM

Well done Rosberg!!
Brilliantly driven race by him and a much deserved win.

Nice result for Hamilton, Webber and Sutil too. Little disappointed in Ferrari.

Mclaren did good too. Good result for Button but I think Perez needs a little talking to however. Couple of his moves were very risky and ultimately cost him the race. Good pace though.

Too bad for Lotus. Was really hoping Kimi would at least finish where he was. Grosjean is a good driver but I think he might be struggling for a ride next year. Just gets involved in too many incidents.

But Nico was the man today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing