Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,824 times

Advertisements

I'm glad they've approved in season testing, it's obviously needed. I also like what Adrian Newey said about how this likely could have been avoided had Lotus, Force India, and Ferrari agreed to allow the tyres to be changed earlier this season.

The kevlar tires won't be ready for Germany, but I agree that a boycott is unlikely. Silverstone was a difficult situation. I think had one of the teams retired the others would have followed suit but I remember Will Buxton stating that many of the teams were searching for Paul Hembery during the race but couldn't find him. I think most of them wanted to consult him before pulling their cars off track and it sounds like he didn't want to face the music at the time. (Not that I can't blame him.)

Some interesting things got overshadowed by the tire situation on the race Sunday. Kimi Raikkonen has broken Michael Schumacher's record of scoring points in the most consecutive races (Silverstone was his 25th race consecutively scoring points). It seems like Kimi is a driver most everyone likes and I think it's impressive but also speaks of his skill as a driver that he's accomplished this. A big part of me wants to see him in the RB car next year. But... that's two top tier drivers on a team and who knows how well that will go.

Top five stats from the British Grand Prix | MotorSportsTalk

That has some more of the interesting non-tire tidbits from Sundays race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Its all part of creating racing by tires not suited to going fast for long to slow the fastest down. they are limiting the fastest to make slower competitive by managing the tire wear to slower speed overall.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
From former German tennis great Boris Becker: "Fortunately they (Pirelli) don't make condoms,"
Lol...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:48 PM

Watched the practice today and quite a lot was tyre talk.

A bit confused, but it seems like last years tyres are being used for this race and from hungary will be new tyres. Kevlar belts (2012) with this years compounds.

Pirelli also seem to be laying blame at the teams for the tyre failure. Said the tyres are right/left side specific and should not be rotated which the teams have been doing. I guess the teams have also not been following the pressures and camber guidelines.

The teams did fire back about the rotation though and said, while being aware of this, Pirelli did give the OK.

Mclaren also came out and said they were following all guidelines and still had two failures.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 PM

So this could potentially affect the championship since the cars were not desigbed with the new rubber.

Probably be another few race break-in period for the new tires too.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,824 times
Wow... A surprising qualifying. I'm excited to see what happens tomorrow, it should be a good race. I also think Ferrari's gamble won't pay off.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
Great race. Excellent work by Lotus and a good comeback for Grosjean.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Great race. Excellent work by Lotus and a good comeback for Grosjean.
Agreed.
Mclaren seems to have made good progress too. Hulkenen also did real good. Only 2 stops. Was really hoping Kimi would stick it to Vettel.

Kimi and Alonso have some work to do though if the want to stay in the fight. Vettel still has a race in hand.

Kinda disapointed with Mercedes though. But it was a good drive by Hamilton.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,961 times
Seems like the Kevlar belt made it better for Lotus and Sauber, while Mercedes, Toro Rosso and Force India took a beating.

Happy for Grosjean, badly needed great drive from him. Kimi was also mega. Had Lotus asked Grosjean to let him by two laps earlier, we would have had a different winner.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Seems like the Kevlar belt made it better for Lotus and Sauber, while Mercedes, Toro Rosso and Force India took a beating.

Happy for Grosjean, badly needed great drive from him. Kimi was also mega. Had Lotus asked Grosjean to let him by two laps earlier, we would have had a different winner.
Ya never know, I'd bet that Red Bull would've been getting mighty wide at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing