Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,500,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
No, Alonso was not told to pit yet. Just cause the team is getting prepared does not mean they have made the call to him on the radio. He was following orders.

F1: Ferrari Took A Risk With Alonso Wing, Says Domenicali
I was going off what I heard from the pits. Will Buxton stated that Ferarri was prepared for him to pit and looked surprised when he didn't. Honestly I think it's a possibility that with all the drama surrounding Vettel that Ferarri has decided to make this sound like it was a team decision.[/quote]

Nope... Just like the article states Ferrari was hoping to get away with it for just a lil longer. I know many on the production crew and they were just as surprised about hearing the call to stay out as well. Unfortunately the guy in the pits many times is the least informed on some situations because they miss alot that goes on during a broadcast cause even with heaphones and earbuds its still almost impossible to hear alot of what you need to over the cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,058 times
Quote:
Webber has made his position clear more than once. Had he been in second and Vettel in first he would have tried passing if he could. He won't sacrifice himself and he won't quit just to give Vettel a one up.

He's been instructed to have Vettel's back numerous times.
Thats why Webber has got frustrated!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I never said he shouldn't be dealt with. Webber has played wingman? Lol not according to him and what he says. He's been very public about his refusal to play wingman for Vettel on numerous occasions. Bottom line though, Vettel is their star driver, Webbers not. Vettel will be slapped on the hand and won't step out of line for awhile, but Red Bull knows (and honestly I think they expect him to) push when they say not to. If they truly had an issue with it then he wouldn't still be doing it.

Yes he has and yes he will get a slap on the hand just like Mark said on the podium "he will get protection like he always does"...

No they don't expect him to. Orders are orders. And thats why they told him "there will be explaining to do"!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
Next up, China.

NBCSports Broadcast Schedule:

Fri 4/12 2:00-3:30am Eastern LIVE
Sat 4/13 12:30-2:00am Eastern (not sure if this is a repeat or if it is 2nd practice)
Sat 4/13 2:00am Eastern Chinese Grand Prix: Qualifying LIVE
Sun 4/13 2:30am Eastern Chinese Grand Prix LIVE

Also:
Sat 12:00am Eastern "Sebastian Vettel" (this repeats several times, check listing)

Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Next up, China.

NBCSports Broadcast Schedule:

Fri 4/12 2:00-3:30am Eastern LIVE
Sat 4/13 12:30-2:00am Eastern (not sure if this is a repeat or if it is 2nd practice)
Sat 4/13 2:00am Eastern Chinese Grand Prix: Qualifying LIVE
Sun 4/13 2:30am Eastern Chinese Grand Prix LIVE

Also:
Sat 12:00am Eastern "Sebastian Vettel" (this repeats several times, check listing)
Thanks.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM

Huh, interesting qualifying in China, mostly based around tire choices. I actually wasn't sure of the rules for the situation: what happens if two drivers in Q3 don't start? Who is 9th and who is 10th? Is it based on Q2 position? fastest lap? And now I know....

Also, during practice, the announcers kept harping on the Vettel/Webber contretemps - I think they missed the most important part of the whole thing: what happens next time the team tells Webber to go into fuel save mode or to otherwise back off? Will he believe them? Will he obey?

Although, as they pointed out, Christian Horner doesn't exactly seem to be in control of his drivers. On the one hand, you want a driver who WANTS to win, but you don't want him potentially grenading the engine or running into the other driver and ignoring orders. Interesting the parallel with Hamilton and Rosburg, who were also struggling with team orders. Well, Rosburg was, Hamilton was probably happier with the team orders.

The F136 show, which was on Vettel this week, was clearly filmed before Malaysia, as it briefly featured a pragmatic (or phlegmatic, both seem to be his natural states) Webber saying he doesn't mind being Vettel's teammate.

(spoiler below if you don't know the qualifying order)

Spoiler
The knock against Vettel has always been that he is great at running away from the field when he is in front, less great when he has to work through traffic. Since he stands to have one fewer pit stop than some of the people in front of him, we'll see how much actual passing he does vs passing by not pitting.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Yes. But there is no disadvantage to any team regarding the tyres since they all have to switch at some point. Like you said, pit strategy is very important. As is pit-stop times. 2 seconds will change a race.
Sure their is to the fastest cars;its slows them down by makig going fast having a penlty especially o softer tires.One only had to waqtch lst nights qualifying to see what its menat. Slowig the fast road tracks cars to get passing just dpesn't make m uch sense to me.Basially we saw two cars not even try to be top quaifier because of tries disadvanatge in statig the race.The sfotedt started goig down hill quiskly as seen and in 6 laps fast cars loss near 2 sconds which is huge.Not too long ago they puic shed anhyoe they could prove gave team ordsers how they give team orders based on poor tire to race with.No more let the boys race in F1 it seems.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM

We've seen this before, though, with a new tire compound. This is the first race this year using this compound and the track temps are hot. I doubt this is the actual plan Pirelli had - about a 1 sec differential soft to hard, sure: this much tire deg, no. My guess is that by the next race in which these are used, the problem will be much toned down.

At least the situation is the same for all teams, there are no favorites here.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Also, during practice, the announcers kept harping on the Vettel/Webber contretemps - I think they missed the most important part of the whole thing: what happens next time the team tells Webber to go into fuel save mode or to otherwise back off? Will he believe them? Will he obey?

Although, as they pointed out, Christian Horner doesn't exactly seem to be in control of his drivers. On the one hand, you want a driver who WANTS to win, but you don't want him potentially grenading the engine or running into the other driver and ignoring orders.
BBC Sport - Red Bull to reduce the use of team orders after Sebastian Vettel row

It looks like they don't really intend to issue those kind of orders if at all possible anymore. The plan seems to finally treat them how they've really been treating each other since the beginning - two different competitors who happen to be on the same team.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sure their is to the fastest cars;its slows them down by makig going fast having a penlty especially o softer tires.One only had to waqtch lst nights qualifying to see what its menat. Slowig the fast road tracks cars to get passing just dpesn't make m uch sense to me.Basially we saw two cars not even try to be top quaifier because of tries disadvanatge in statig the race.The sfotedt started goig down hill quiskly as seen and in 6 laps fast cars loss near 2 sconds which is huge.Not too long ago they puic shed anhyoe they could prove gave team ordsers how they give team orders based on poor tire to race with.No more let the boys race in F1 it seems.
They all use the same tires! Therefore they all suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing