Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 13,361 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Possibly moving to Austin and trying to sort out where to move the family. A couple of questions regarding the Dripping Springs area (around Belterra):

1 - I anticipate needing to be in downtown Austin by 5PM on weekdays - (call it 6th and Lamar) What are current estimates on the commute at that time of day from the eastern end of Dripping Springs?

2 - I'll be frank: I'm asian and my kids are half. Is there any kind of asian population in the DS schools or am I looking at a situation where my kids are going to be the 1 asian kid in 100? I'm not expecting something like Round Rock where it looks like the schools are almost 20% asians - but neither am I wild about my kids being the only asians in their grades/classes.

Thanks for your advice/patience,
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
I can't answer your first question because I haven't done that drive.

But for the second one - my family knows a number of DS kids (high school). DS people are not generally some kind of redneck. Most of them seem to be "normal" central Texas people - who chose to live in DS because they wanted some space and a quieter lifestyle. I do not believe you'll have any problem at all being Asian or part Asian.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
According to the City-Data web page there are only about 1500 people in the Dripping Springs area. so one family moving into the area could tilt the demographic one way or the other. I live a little closer in, Oak Hill, but know several families, neighbors, who have moved out into DS so their children could have a less urban experience while growing up. All of the people I know of in the area are well educated and responsible. This is not at all a backwards part of the County. A lot of high priced homes and subdivisions have been built in the area over the last 20 years, and it is closer to downtown Austin then places like

The Dripping Springs zip code is 78620 you can see a lot of information about the the area here https://www.city-data.com/zips/78620.html However, I don't think it accurately reflects asian ancestry because it does not show any for my zip code 78749, which is a little closer in to Austin, Oak Hill, where I see many asian people walking for exercise and I know several asian families in the neighborhood. There is no racial friction in this area that I have seen.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,742,561 times
Beware of the 'Dripping Springs' designation for statistical purposes. Many of the developments in the Dripping Springs area are actually outside the city limits in various utility districts that don't get included in official counts except for perhaps at the county level.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:19 AM

147 posts, read 573,030 times
Hi,

My kid has been attending Dripping Springs schools for four years. Frankly there are not many Asian kids out here, but there are a few. It would be something like 1 in 100.

Having said that, I would not discount moving out here because of that. People out here are very friendly and accepting. In fact the principle of the Middle School has an adopted child of Asian descent.

The schools out here are very good.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,437,594 times
You might want to consider SW Austin, Meridian or Circle C. The commute to downtown is 15-20 minutes closer. There are plenty of Asian families. We have friends who speak English as a second language and their daughter doesn't even speak English as her main language. This is a great area. Come check it out.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
How far is Dripping Springs from Round Rock?

Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskittty View Post
How far is Dripping Springs from Round Rock?
How far... Round Rock, TX to Dripping Springs, TX - Google Maps

Old 03-19-2011, 03:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
Opposite ends of Austin...Maybe an hour or a bit less.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 AM

40 posts, read 130,918 times
you can't get there from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin