Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 12,557 times

Advertisements

I posted yesterday that I may be moving to the Austin area and would like to be southwest of Austin. Someone mentioned that Dripping Springs would be a logical choice. Can anyone tell me more about the area? Any feedback at all, because I don't know anything about it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:02 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
wow.. search functions are AMAZING!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
I think it depends what you are looking for. Dripping Springs is more it's own area though now it's being considered a suburb of Austin in the past few years. Their slogan is "Keep Drippin' Normal" relative to "Keep Austin Weird". Nice smaller town but you need to drive to Austin for most shopping, etc. There are a lot of great longtime SW neighborhoods that aren't so far out that would make more sense to me...but again, I don't know what you are looking for.

Circle C was where I lived (loved it) but also really liked Travis Country. You have Shady Hollow, Oak Parke, Legend Oaks, now Meridian and lots of good pocket areas of off 1826 and Slaughter.

So DS is just one of many good choices in SW Austin.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
The question would be, do you want to be Southwest of Austin or in Southwest Austin. Those are two different things.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,557 times
Thanks, texastrigirl. I'm trying to go as far out from Austin as possible while still being able to commute in, because my husband would be working even farther southwest (closer to San Antonio). We are trying to see if it would be feasable to live near Austin, as there seem to be more job options for me in Austin than SA.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Default moving to dripping springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuser2 View Post
I posted yesterday that I may be moving to the Austin area and would like to be southwest of Austin. Someone mentioned that Dripping Springs would be a logical choice. Can anyone tell me more about the area? Any feedback at all, because I don't know
anything about it! Thanks!
I moved to dripping springs this past August am very dissapointed with the busing. The schools and realtors absolutely should warn people of the change. My forth grader is dropped on a "Texas corner" and their is absolutly no way for her to walk safely home. Because of distance and dangerous roads. I see children walking home even a short distance and its wrong around here. My car broke down and my child could have been stranded. one day the bus was early and I met her at the bottom of the hill walking home? clocks can be off which can have life changing conesquences. The school blames government cuts I get that. How many other ways are there to cut spending? for one feild trips and assemblies = shorter days and weeks? I drive my children to and from school and yes, expensive gas. If gov. is going to restrict our schools then maybe online schools should be the near future. Do away with schools after all the Government claims public ed is free? Anyways unless you are a full time mom such as myself its fine however do not live here if you need that second income like me because your childrens life depends on you.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM

147 posts, read 572,806 times
Getting to San Antonio from Southwest of Austin means that you'll have to go way west to pick up 281 or back towards Austin to get to IH-35. For the westerly route you'll want to live on the west side of Dripping Springs. You'll be closer to the turn off to Blanco (which is on 281) or all the way to the 290/281 intersection. While a daily commute to SA can be done I wouldn't want to. You might consider San Marcos or New Braunfels.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybean View Post
I moved to dripping springs this past August am very dissapointed with the busing. The schools and realtors absolutely should warn people of the change. My forth grader is dropped on a "Texas corner" and their is absolutly no way for her to walk safely home. Because of distance and dangerous roads. I see children walking home even a short distance and its wrong around here. My car broke down and my child could have been stranded. one day the bus was early and I met her at the bottom of the hill walking home? clocks can be off which can have life changing conesquences. The school blames government cuts I get that. How many other ways are there to cut spending? for one feild trips and assemblies = shorter days and weeks? I drive my children to and from school and yes, expensive gas. If gov. is going to restrict our schools then maybe online schools should be the near future. Do away with schools after all the Government claims public ed is free? Anyways unless you are a full time mom such as myself its fine however do not live here if you need that second income like me because your childrens life depends on you.
It is a giant leap to go from not being happy about the buses to online K-12 schools isn't it?

Realtors have no responsibility to tell you about how school buses work where you live. I am not exactly a realtor sympathizer but it seems silly for them to try to keep track of bus routes.

As for the school district - it is very possible that they spent all summer trying to balance their budget and didn't know exactly how transportation would be affected until just before school started. I have no idea what other choices DSISD looked at for expense control, but I bet they prioritized teachers and in-class funding.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybean View Post
Poor land use and neighborhood design has a lot to do with it. Try using Google directions to get from Abbey Dr to Rooster Springs Elementary School. As the crow flys it is 1/10 of a mile but because of the cul-de-sac design - instead of a conventional grid pattern - the actual walk to school is 1.1 miles. Proof:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ab...a=ltm&t=m&z=12

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin