Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 AM

112 posts, read 325,805 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

So I moved to Austin about a year ago and have been using an internist for my routine exam. We just bought a house in NW Austin (yeah! ) so life has been hectic and I haven't been online as much as I used too.

Well, I am currently in the need of an OB/GYN.. Since I live in Northwest Austin, I need would prefer a physician that is affiliated with a hospital on the NW side (St. David's Women Center, Seton NW, etc). I am looking for a dr who does not rush to do C-sections or inductions(unless absolutely necessary) has good bedside matters, listens, is compassionate, honest, and is good with first time moms.

I don't really have a network of people whom I can ask for advice, so I am turning here. I kind of need the information as soon as possible . Any and all advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 145,888 times
Dr. Polon @ St. Davids Downtown is good.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
I use Dr. Micheal Fitzpatrick over off of 620 and I like him. Don't know his feelings about things..not having anymore kiddos here...

Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Fitzpatrick is very laid back and does not rush to induce or force C-sections. The entire group is pretty much that way (Oakwood Women's). Dr. Paul Murphree, the head of the group, is probably the most conservative (pregnancy-wise), laidback one of the bunch and is fantastic. Wife delivered recently with them, works with them, and would allow anyone in the group to deliver her.

It may be a bit of a drive to them for you - not too much further from North Austin or Seton NW... but I don't know if they have privledges at either of those hospitals, as they are mainly at St. Davids Round Rock MC (right next door to their offices).

Old 03-19-2010, 03:11 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrai View Post
Well, I am currently in the need of an OB/GYN..

I kind of need the information as soon as possible .
Don't have any suggestions since we don't live there yet, but wanted to say CONGRATS!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:56 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,932 times
I would never go to Oakwood women's. My daughter n law saw went there when she was first pregnant 4 years ago. She kept complaning of pain and told them something just doesn't feel right. She was told everything was fine. she ended up having emergency surgery while on a trip in Dallas. The pain she had was because the egg/baby was in her TUBE! and it burst. She could have died, How could the doctor have missed that? I am pretty sure Murphree was her doctor too.

Last edited by Taterhead; 03-20-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 PM

433 posts, read 1,658,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I would never go to Oakwood women's. My daughter n law saw went there when she was first pregnant 4 years ago. She kept complaning of pain and told them something just doesn't feel right. She was told everything was fine. she ended up having emergency surgery while on a trip in Dallas. The pain she had was because the egg/baby was in her TUBE! and it burst. She could have died, How could the doctor have missed that? I am pretty sure Murphree was her doctor too.
With respect, I think you should double-check a doctor's name before you bash their reputation. It's not like your criticizing someone who gave you a bad haircut.

Without knowing all the facts in your case and even assuming you're completely right, is it really fair to bash every OB/GYN in the practice? My wife goes to Dr. Maunder at Oakwood and she and I think he's awesome.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
With respect, I think you should double-check a doctor's name before you bash their reputation. It's not like your criticizing someone who gave you a bad haircut.

Without knowing all the facts in your case and even assuming you're completely right, is it really fair to bash every OB/GYN in the practice? My wife goes to Dr. Maunder at Oakwood and she and I think he's awesome.

I have first hand experience with that place too, when we moved here 8 months ago I didn't have a doctor yet and had to go for a follow up for a problem I had. The front desk acted like they didn't see you for it seemed several minutes, I was standing there it seemed for 10 minutes. The waiting area is dark with no windows, very depressing. The rooms are old a dirty looking imo and they still use paper growns. The doctor I saw seemed in a hurry to move on to the next patient and I didn't feel i got good care at all.

And for the record my daughter n law saw more then 1 doctor at that place and they all treated her questioning "something is wrong" in a flipped way. I remember telling her to find another place and get a second opinion so she would feel at ease when she would call me about this.

I only commented on this subject when I saw the doctors name being taubted by one of the other posters. I am glad you had a good experience there.

I have a nurse friend who works at RR hospital, she just moved here from Dallas, I ask her if she knows anyone to recommend and I'll post that info.

Your right I shouldn't have mentioned a doctors name when I don't know for sure who she used.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 PM

216 posts, read 996,324 times
I too had a terrible experience with Dr. Murphree and would never go to him again as a result. I know this is off topic to the OP question but I found his attitude terrible on a misdiagnoses he made. He accepted he miss diagnosed me when I came back with test results but never apologized for the grief and stress he put my family through.

In my personal experience every doctor/hospital will have great examples and poor examples. This particular doctor did not impress me but probably is fine for others.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:10 PM

112 posts, read 325,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmia View Post
Dr. Polon @ St. Davids Downtown is good.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I looked information about Dr. Clive Polon, and he has gotten many great reviews. However, I think I would feel more comfortable with a female OB/GYN. (I forgot to mention that earlier).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin