Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 16,621 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

This is such a great forum and I am learning so much by just reading past threads!

Here's my story, in a nutshell:

My boyfriend and I are hopefully moving to Austin in August 2007. He has applied to UT for grad school but has not heard back from them yet.

We would like to leave reasonably close to campus (no more than a 20 min. drive) and close to downtown. I'm not exactly sure how close UT is to downtown Austin, so I don't know how feasible this is.

We would prefer to find a single family home or townhouse. Both of us have lived in apartments and we're ready to have a little more space. We want at least 2 bed/2 bath and can spend around $1,500/month. We could probably stretch that to $2,000/month at the maximum.

I've heard that Travis Heights is amazing, but expensive. We want a nice neighborhood, without feeling like we're way out in the boonies. I guess we'd prefer a more urban feel.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a neighborhood and/or area to search? I found a place at Cedar Point/Lovell Rd. Does anyone know what that neighborhood is like and whether it is reasonably close to the UT campus? Any input would be great.

Thank you SO much!

Katie

Last edited by katiec23; 05-29-2007 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 01:38 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,567 times
Dude, just buy a house!

Even if you can't afford much of a down payment, you can get a lot of house for a 2k a month mortgage.
Buy in east austin, sell when done with grad school for a huge profit!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 16,621 times
I'd like to buy and that has definitely crossed my mind. However, I think I'd like to live in the area first. Hopefully sign a 6 month lease somewhere and then buy. For me, it's too overwhelming to move and close on a house all at once. I will not have a chance to make a trip to visit Austin before I move in August. Thanks for the tip though. Any particular reason why I should buy in East Austin?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 PM

East austin is very close to UT campus, but not insanely overpriced, as it is not yet gentrified (though that is rapidly underway)

North, South and West of downtown are all very expensive. East is a smidge dicey, but is rapidly becoming a trendy place to buy/live.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:42 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
East Austin is considered by many to be an up and coming area that will appreciate significantly in the coming years. Also, the 'East Austin' referred to above is probaby the area just East of UT. There are quite a few students (both UG and Grad) that live in that area. If tyou want to stay withing 20 minutes of campus at a resonable price, that is a good area to look (either renting or buying). The big negative you often hear are related to the public schools, and it does not seem that that will be a concern of yours (especially if you are not buying). Crime is worse in specific areas of East Austin, but it is not everywhere. The campus accessible area is probably one of the better areas.

Many people will recommend that you rent first before you buy, and if you are coming from 'elsewhere' and need to learn the city, I would also recommend that; however, buying does seem like a decent investment at this time in Austin, so you may want to keep an eye open while you are renting.

You 'might' find some relatively affordable rentals in Hyde park, but they will be run down and likely roach inhabited. The nicer places will be expensive. You could also look out on the shuttle routes - the shuttles run decent hours and shuttle people in from the Far West Blvd area and the Pleasant Valley area. FW is very nice (probably too pricey, but might be a place or two) and PV is not as nice but more affordable.

Btw, have you contacted the university about housing recommendations? They may be more up to date on specific places.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM

The whole time I was at UT, and working full time I lived in far north austin. The bus routes were manageable, though a 30 minute ride turned into a 45 minute ride or more during rush hour.

If you are *only* a student, I'd say stay close to campus, but if you'll be working as well - consider being closer to your job than campus... but then, you probably had considered all that before.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,177 times
Areas within walking distance of the Enfield Rd. shuttle are hard to beat.

There are a cluster of affordable apartments at the intersection of Enfield Rd. & West Lynn.

-Biscuits

Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 PM

187 posts, read 846,910 times
Default I don't know if this is allowed

Hi, Katie.

I tried to send you a private message, but I could not. I don't know why.

So, I don't know if this is allowed on this message board, but...

I want to tell you that I know of a house for rent in east Austin, on the #2 bus line, which will take you right to campus/downtown.

My husband and I went to see the house ourselves when we were in Austin last week. It was built in 2004 under the Green Build Austin program, or something like that, whatever that initiative might be called. It's very eco-friendly. The young couple who own it are relocating to Chicago so the husband can attend grad school. (We are from Chicago and were amazed at the coincidence, our switching of locales.)

They seem very nice, and their house was great! They agreed to give us a 6-mo lease instead of a year.

But my husband and I decided that $1500 was too much for us. I have a job there, that's why we're moving. But my husband doesn't yet. So, with our own economic uncertainty, my student loans (!), we decided to find something cheaper. (We also hope to figure out the city and buy a place of our own within 6 months.)

But I'm sure this couple would love to find a nice couple to lease their home!

I can give you this couple's contact info. I think they posted an ad on craigslist, too, and in the Chronicle. If you are interested, respond to this message or send me a private message and tell me how to send you their contact info and some photos.

They sent me lots of photos before I went to see it. I'm sure they'd tell you whatever you want to know. It's 2-story, 3 bed, 2 bath, nice backyard, W/D included.

I am not in any way related to this couple, nor their friend, and I have nothing to gain from this "connection." It's just that I happen to know of a newish, "green" house in east Austin that's in your price range, with the possibility of a short lease.

To the moderators: if this type of message is not allowed, I am sorry. I won't do it again!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:20 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
Hi, Katie.

I tried to send you a private message, but I could not. I don't know why.

So, I don't know if this is allowed on this message board, but...

I want to tell you that I know of a house for rent in east Austin, on the #2 bus line, which will take you right to campus/downtown.

My husband and I went to see the house ourselves when we were in Austin last week. It was built in 2004 under the Green Build Austin program, or something like that, whatever that initiative might be called. It's very eco-friendly. The young couple who own it are relocating to Chicago so the husband can attend grad school. (We are from Chicago and were amazed at the coincidence, our switching of locales.)

They seem very nice, and their house was great! They agreed to give us a 6-mo lease instead of a year.

But my husband and I decided that $1500 was too much for us. I have a job there, that's why we're moving. But my husband doesn't yet. So, with our own economic uncertainty, my student loans (!), we decided to find something cheaper. (We also hope to figure out the city and buy a place of our own within 6 months.)

But I'm sure this couple would love to find a nice couple to lease their home!

I can give you this couple's contact info. I think they posted an ad on craigslist, too, and in the Chronicle. If you are interested, respond to this message or send me a private message and tell me how to send you their contact info and some photos.

They sent me lots of photos before I went to see it. I'm sure they'd tell you whatever you want to know. It's 2-story, 3 bed, 2 bath, nice backyard, W/D included.

I am not in any way related to this couple, nor their friend, and I have nothing to gain from this "connection." It's just that I happen to know of a newish, "green" house in east Austin that's in your price range, with the possibility of a short lease.

To the moderators: if this type of message is not allowed, I am sorry. I won't do it again!
No problem. Katie just became a member today and you must be a member for 24 hours before you are given PM privileges. It's a spam thing. She should have PM tomorrow afternoon.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I'll second the Far West / Northwest Hills Area (Far West referring to the street name, it's actually a "central" area). I lived there for several years (loved it), and many of my neighbors were grad students. It's close to everything - about 10 mins to either downtown or UT, also only a few minutes from the JJ Pickle UT Campus. That's not during rush hour, though.

There are apartments, condos, townhouses and duplexes there, along with expensive single family houses. The housing is older, but there is some pretty nice stuff (creek, hills, trees). It's also got great bus service, both the UT shuttle and Capital Metro. You can live there without a car, or with only one car that is shared... that's what we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: