Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:15 PM

47 posts, read 150,542 times

Advertisements

Emmis may not be around much longer anyway. 5 Year return on their stock has been -93% and they're a perpetual risk of de-listing. Cashflow and debt issues, to boot. The quicker KGSR dies, the quicker other stations (probably on the left of dial) will fill the programming void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,629 times
I know that most people who are motivated to take the time to comment on something do so to complain, so I'm trying to balance things out. My wife and I have been listening to KGSR for about 10 years, and we like to turn it on every night for dinner. KGSR "was" good, but good god I was SICK to death of SRV. My joke was that you were guaranteed to hear one of the same tired, overly-hyped ten SRV songs every hour, and I was pretty much right. When, it was official that KGSR had changed formats, I was optimistic that the SRV wastes of time would end, but worried that too much pop garbage would be instituted. At first, it seemed that our fears were not unjustifed, but recently (like the last month), we have noticed a shift and have really, really been enjoying the playlist at dinner time. Tonight, it seemed clear that KGSR's target demographic is generation X (30 somethings - maybe early 40's), and I can't complain about that. Yeah, change is generally not accepted, and I know a lot of crunchy Austinites will damn the songs as being too commercial. But, my wife and I like them and feel they are well selected - not pop crap. All of you SRV disciples can suck it! You heard me: "Suck it!"

Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM

160 posts, read 365,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyHump View Post
I know that most people who are motivated to take the time to comment on something do so to complain, so I'm trying to balance things out. My wife and I have been listening to KGSR for about 10 years, and we like to turn it on every night for dinner. KGSR "was" good, but good god I was SICK to death of SRV. My joke was that you were guaranteed to hear one of the same tired, overly-hyped ten SRV songs every hour, and I was pretty much right. When, it was official that KGSR had changed formats, I was optimistic that the SRV wastes of time would end, but worried that too much pop garbage would be instituted. At first, it seemed that our fears were not unjustifed, but recently (like the last month), we have noticed a shift and have really, really been enjoying the playlist at dinner time. Tonight, it seemed clear that KGSR's target demographic is generation X (30 somethings - maybe early 40's), and I can't complain about that. Yeah, change is generally not accepted, and I know a lot of crunchy Austinites will damn the songs as being too commercial. But, my wife and I like them and feel they are well selected - not pop crap. All of you SRV disciples can suck it! You heard me: "Suck it!"
Ugh.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,528,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Emmis shot itself in the foot when it moved frequencies from 107.1 to 93.3. And if that wasn't bad enough, changing the format will almost certainly put the nail in the coffin. KGSR will probably end up as a station in the internet, but I could easily see 93.3 be Spanish in the not too distant future.
Wow - for once I actually agree with everything you have to say! And yes, 93.3 did become a Spanish station.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,316 times
Given that everything sounds the same, and I haven't heard Robert Earll Keen, Carolyn Wonderland, Kelly Willis or Asleep at the Wheel for a long time, I have now moved to KUT, KVET and said goodbye to Andy Langer and his relentless diatribe. I bet Unplugged at the Grove will be visited by Miley Cyrus next summer.

What a loss for Austin music. If Toni Price reads this website, please keep Hippy Hour.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:30 AM

139 posts, read 351,008 times
I moved on to KUT as well. Someone should tell Willie and Lyle in those commercials that KGSR barely plays their songs anymore.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,293 times
I am still curious as to why anyone would care about KGSR's ultimate fate. There are literally HUNDREDS of commerical free (or near commerical free) internet radio stations out there that play all of the hillbilly bands that Austin people seem to like. Yes, 93.3 will likely be a spanish station in the not to distant future--spanish appears to be the "default" when english speaking stations fail! KGSR will likely become as internet only station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingugly View Post
I moved on to KUT as well. Someone should tell Willie and Lyle in those commercials that KGSR barely plays their songs anymore.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM

544 posts, read 1,668,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I am still curious as to why anyone would care about KGSR's ultimate fate. There are literally HUNDREDS of commerical free (or near commerical free) internet radio stations out there that play all of the hillbilly bands that Austin people seem to like. Yes, 93.3 will likely be a spanish station in the not to distant future--spanish appears to be the "default" when english speaking stations fail! KGSR will likely become as internet only station.

we identified with the station as a "spokesman" for austin music -- now the station has become a peewee herman in the business

Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyHump View Post
I spoke too soon. Now we are back to one SRV song per dinner. Ugh.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,080 times
I've noticed they've been playing the hell out of Bob Marley's "Legend" album a lot lately...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin