Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,854 times

Advertisements

KGSR was poisoned some time in October, and has been dying a slow death ever since. At first started slipping in about 10% pop rock, and I thought "that's odd". They then announced, "oh we're changing the number on the dial, no big deal", then the music turned about a quarter pop rock, and I thought it had to have been a particular time slot or whomever was working at the time. The station not only only changed frequencies, but where it was broadcast from. The station identification on the air said "KGSR, Austin/San Antonio", and that's when I found out it was amped up and broadcast over central Texas from SA. This starting pissing me off when it became "KGSR, San Antonio..." and then today, I swear to God, the announcer said "93.3, KZLX.." I wasn't hallucinating either. They will play the occasional Bob Schneider because he gets national play, but I think the station has turned over right under our collective nose in less than 4 months.

This truly, deeply angers me that they thought we wouldn't care, or thought we were to stupid to notice.

When someone visiting would ask me what "Texas sounded like", all I had to do was turn on KGSR. I could have tuned in, broke the dial off, and been fine, but now it has become just another station that I pass over. "KGSR" had it's 18th birthday in Nov, and I think it was just a red herring to distract people from what was really happening: selling itself out to become "San Antonio CockRock FM Lite." This was an Austin institution and was a source for me to hear music I couldn't hear anywhere else in the country. I really hope another Austin station picks up the torch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
I've been hearing them announce "Austin/Bastrop" on occasion. I thought that was odd but just figured that was where the new tower was perhaps.

I fell in love with KGSR when I first began visiting Austin six years ago. It is sad to see it's format change. I gave up satellite radio when I moved here but maybe it's time to take a second look at it. I sure do prefer local radio, though.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I've been hearing them announce "Austin/Bastrop" on occasion. I thought that was odd but just figured that was where the new tower was perhaps.

I fell in love with KGSR when I first began visiting Austin six years ago. It is sad to see it's format change. I gave up satellite radio when I moved here but maybe it's time to take a second look at it. I sure do prefer local radio, though.
I too have noticed a decline in quality of KGSR. The only local station really worth listening to is KUT 90.5 (the NPR station). The commercial radio stations all play the same 200 songs over and over again. Satellite radio seems to be the only way to really hear any good variety of music.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:22 PM

139 posts, read 350,804 times
Satellite radio is good, but it's not there yet imho. I think the quality is weak (think low grade mp3), and while there is an interesting variety, in practice I only listened to two channels, one of which had a noticeable repetition to it's programming. I had it for three months and went back to FM. However, the other channel I still miss is called "Deep Tracks." It was very refreshing to hear bands doing songs I hadn't heard 50 times before.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 AM

144 posts, read 330,881 times
Look at the top 100 for yourself: yes.com

Lots of typical MOR sprinkled throughout.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I really hope another Austin station picks up the torch.
We really need something like WRSI in Northampton Mass (http://wrsi.com/pages/5847446.php) but of course with a decidedly Austin twist.

KGSR is becoming BOB FM with DJs, except the sucking is intentional.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Look at the top 100 for yourself: yes.com

Lots of typical MOR sprinkled throughout.
*Ugh* I hate John Mayer!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:25 PM

264 posts, read 701,818 times
It amazes me that Austin doesn't have an Americana station like 95.3 KHYI in Dallas. I mean if Dallas supports it, I'm sure Austin would.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,031 times
90.5 KUT (UT Austin) is the best station in Austin if you want a truly Austin experience.

A close second place would be 91.7 KOOP (community radio).

I never liked KGSR anyway.
Why listen to commercial radio?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,265 times
Jody left because he has seen what has happened in our radio market. KGSR is still playing some great tunes and Broadcast Volume 19 was the best CD yet. For me, living in South Austin, the antenna relocation confirms that another bastion of great Austin music is now sold out to ClearChannel. My reception varies based on the weather. It sucks, but its life. The firing of Susan Castle was the beginning of the end. The KGSR "loving it here" commericals are about as appealing as advertisements for male erectile dysfucntion or female hygiene products.

With that said, Toni Price's Hippy Hour at the Continental Club on Tuesday night rocked the house. Its time to get out and make a trip to listen to some live music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin