Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
This is actually a good thing. There are no plans for any road work in Austin for at least the next 10 years. The horse and buggy road system will remain in it's 1960's look for the forseeable future. The gridlock will become so bad in Austin that people will relocate elsewhere because the quality of life will continue to decrease (similar to what is happening now). Austin has far too many people and a train wreck city council that couldn't care less about Austin growth patterns. SPRAWL SPRAWL SPRAWL!!! Austin will probably eventually become one of the biggest polluter cities in the nation as well. It's already the capital of the biggest polluting state!!! Oh Austin, the good times are nearly done!
How is any of this actually a "good thing"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I don't know that you can rely on the MLS because those are only the houses for sale. Maybe there are areas that don't turn over as much that are predominantly single story.
I guess you'd have to assume, for whatever reason, that 1-story homes are under represented in the Austin MLS, which could only be the case of they turn over at a notably lesser rate than two story homes.

Still, I do agree that the MLS doesn't automatically produce a representative ratio of 1 to 2 story homes, but I just can't think of a reason it wouldn't.

Steve

Old 09-22-2009, 04:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I dont' feel like quoting several of the posts that responded to my whine about whining, but I will, as one poster suggested, bow out.

I don't have a problem with commuting, or 'traffic', because I made certain concessions to avoid it. I sacrificed house space, land space and quiet to live in the city close to where I work and school. I have no interest in paying more taxes than the enormous amount I already do to shorten someone else's commute- someone who paid less to live far away. I'm all for toll roads in that situation, and I think that's the best solution for traffic issues.
I strongly agree with what you have posted here. Sorry checked back into the thread late.

Quote:
I dont' feel like quoting several of the posts that responded to my whine about whining, but I will, as one poster suggested, bow out.

I don't have a problem with commuting, or 'traffic', because I made certain concessions to avoid it. I sacrificed house space, land space and quiet to live in the city close to where I work and school. I have no interest in paying more taxes than the enormous amount I already do to shorten someone else's commute- someone who paid less to live far away. I'm all for toll roads in that situation, and I think that's the best solution for traffic issues.
I heartily agree with mimimomx3 here. It doesn't seem right that people who choose to live outside of Austin for lower taxes, can commute into town and work in Austin but not contribute to the infrastructure that makes that commute possible. Why should those of us who live inside of Austin have to foot the bill for their high carbon footprint?

Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Well, I live outside of Austin, but own property in Austin and pay taxes on it - even higher taxes than I would if I lived in town and had the homestead exemption (my property taxes on my house in Austin are approximately 4 to 5 times higher than the the property taxes on the ranch where we live, though that's NOT why we lived here - for some reason, the City of Austin didn't want me keeping my horses on my tiny lot off the greenbelt, go figure). Also, my husband owned a business until very recently in Austin and paid property taxes on it (plus a whole bunch of other taxes).

When I do come to Austin, it's to work or to shop, thus supporting the businesses that support the infrastructure with their taxes (and I try to shop local whenever possible, whether it's in Austin or in Georgetown or wherever I happen to be). I purchase gasoline (well, diesel) both in and outside of Austin in order to drive on those roads.

If you live in Austin, and don't want anyone else using "your" roads, then presumably you will decline to accept any TxDot or other statewide funds for upkeep of "your" roads, correct? And you will not drive on the roads that you did not pay for (by your reasoning, those of any other community where you do not own property), correct?

I'm sorry, but this attitude just does not compute to me. The roads belong to, and are paid for, by us all. That is, in fact, one of the primary purposes of government, to provide the infrastructure by combining all of our funds in a way that is more efficient than if each of us were personally responsible for paving and maintaining the strip of road in front of our property, so that we all can use all of them. Most of the rest of what government takes as its right these days is NOT its purpose, but maintaining roads most definitely is, and those roads don't stop at the city limits.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
The gridlock will become so bad in Austin that people will relocate elsewhere because the quality of life will continue to decrease (similar to what is happening now). Austin has far too many people and a train wreck city council that couldn't care less about Austin growth patterns.
Hahahaha dream on. That's not stopping the inrush from the rust belt, west coast, southeastern states, and even from within the state. The city council caters to real estate development. Follow the money.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I heartily agree with mimimomx3 here. It doesn't seem right that people who choose to live outside of Austin for lower taxes, can commute into town and work in Austin but not contribute to the infrastructure that makes that commute possible. Why should those of us who live inside of Austin have to foot the bill for their high carbon footprint?
Um...any improvements to a State Highway or Interstate (which is the predominant road improvements we're discussing here) would pull funding from the State and Federal coffers.

Even something like our sidewalks are most likely paid in part by some random person in Montana...or Delaware...or anywhere.

I'm sorry but the whole 'my taxes = my roads' doesn't really work. Anyone who has ever paid any sort of taxes in this country has a hand in paying for "your" roads.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Lets just build BIGGER ROADS and invite more people!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Lets just build BIGGER ROADS and invite more people!
I seriously don't think it works that way.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:40 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
People will migrate to a place for culture, jobs, weather, etc. I don't see roads being a deal breaker for most people. If you are going to be well paid and live in a nice area, I can't imagine the majority of people saying; "I'm not spending 30-45 minutes in traffic".

Back in the late 80's early 90's people who worked in LA and Orange County moved out to the riverside area and made 2 hour commutes 1 way, just to be able to afford a house. It's not a nice area either. They went from living to surviving, they just didn't know it at the time.

Personally, if and when I see my quality of life suffer because of poor infrastructure, I will find an alternative. I can't see the overall roads being overwhelmed by 2011. At least by my standards.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
No large metro has a perfect, free-flowing road/traffic system....and many have horrendous gridlock on freeways AND major thoroughfares....that's just the nature of so many people driving so many cars...
now, a family of 4 with two teens usually has 4-5 cars, people are more apt to take car loans, (and far less apt to pool with others...call it the "bowling alone" syndrome, or anonymity of living in souless subdivisions).....and parents drive kids just about everywhere, whereas they would go themselves with bikes/walking years back......and all seniors that CAN drive as well....add the lack/use of public trans in almost every large metro, and you have crappy traffic just about everywhere..

Austin, being no different that anyplace else, with many residents from just about every place else, and with an abject lack of public trans, is very much a part of that club......it would be a wonder if anyone EXPECTED Austin to be anything different....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin