Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,797,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Perhaps if AFFORDABLE housing was available downtown for a family of 5 near downtown some of us would have made the choice to live there. However, I refuse to purchase a DUMP for over 200K when we get a bigger bang for the buck somewhere else. At this point in time a "fixer upper" was out of the question. Some of you might like living next to a crack house but it isn't my idea of a good time.

That's my two cents and it's worth every penny.

Also, telling someone to "choose" where they live is out of touch.
There are no crack houses in the suburbs and small towns? I'd like to know where you looked to come away with such an opinion of central neighborhoods. Smaller homes in the city don't exactly translate to crack house down the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
I didn't see anywhere in that post where "crack house" was mentioned, but I will say that it's mainly true that you will spend upwards of 200k on even a basic crackerbox house or tiny little cottage/fixer upper/teardown in ANY central city neighborhood. It's that way in Austin, it was that way in Houston when I lived in Rice Village and it was that way in downtown Denver when I lived there. When I lived in Houston, I rented a tiny apartment and in Denver we had a smaller house than we do now and a postage stamp sized yard.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I didn't see anywhere in that post where "crack house" was mentioned, but I will say that it's mainly true that you will spend upwards of 200k on even a basic crackerbox house or tiny little cottage/fixer upper/teardown in ANY central city neighborhood. It's that way in Austin, it was that way in Houston when I lived in Rice Village and it was that way in downtown Denver when I lived there. When I lived in Houston, I rented a tiny apartment and in Denver we had a smaller house than we do now and a postage stamp sized yard.
Can you really not see the mention of "crack house" in the post?

Last edited by capcat; 09-18-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 05:20 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,744,303 times
Quote:
I think the problem in Texas is that folks have an exaggerated sense of what they "need" in a living space. I walk past my neighbor's houses and see piles of mostly junk filling up their 2 car garages as an example of this. Plus the variety of home type in C. Texas is sorely lacking. For example in most other parts of the country you can make a compromise between a single family home and a condo. Its called a townhouse but they are few and far between in these parts. Few two story homes, no split level homes that I know of, and of course no basements (nobody's fault that one) but it still contributes to the underutilization of space.

This is a basic human trait. When something is in abundance, in this case land, it ends up being wasted. Water is another recent example.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,744,303 times
Quote:
Yes but go a bit aways from the central city and you can still have good transit access, but not much of a yard, for a paltry $100/sq. ft.:

Home for Sale in Austin, TX - 412 CELERY LOOP

But do most people really even use most of their yard except to occasionally glance at?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:13 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,970 times
[quote=verybadgnome; But do most people really even use most of their yard except to occasionally glance at?[/quote]

I use the yard...to plant things. Anything really, trees, shrubs, flowers, herbs...etc, etc.

I apologize if I've offended anyone from "central". I'm sure you don't have one crack house. I was going to say I meant "crackerbox" but that would have been too obvious. Again, I'm sorry.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM

I appreciate that, but why include the sarcasm of saying you're sure we don't have one crack house? No one would claim that, no one would think it. It's not realistic. Not in the city, not in the suburbs, not in small towns.

Last edited by capcat; 09-18-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Yes but go a bit aways from the central city and you can still have good transit access, but not much of a yard, for a paltry $100/sq. ft.:

Home for Sale in Austin, TX - 412 CELERY LOOP

But do most people really even use most of their yard except to occasionally glance at?

Sorry, missed the crack house mention previously I don't know about everyone else, but I, for one, do use my yard and almost all of it and am in it everyday. We try and have the majority of it edibles with a smattering of other things as well. I agree about not really needing "too much" house. I don't understand how a family of 2 or 3 people needs more than 2,000 sf. I just love a little more elbow room and not many neighborhoods downtown have enough for my taste. In Denver most of the yards were very small although in 5 points (one of the worst areas ever) lots of those houses did have big yards. At this point in my life, being downtown just isn't as important to me. I like to have some space but still relatively close to things like shopping, medical facilities, etc...Way out rural, miles and miles from nowhere isn't quite me either.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I appreciate that, but why include the sarcasm of saying you're sure we don't have one crack house? No one would claim that, no one would think it. It's not realistic. Not in the city, not in the suburbs, not in small towns.

You're 100% right. I don't have an excuse or "reason". Sometimes I'm just a sarcastic wench and there is no gettin around it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I say things I regret. It's a character flaw. I take pot shots. I'm argumentative at times. I don't think before I speak. I'm a bull in a china shop. I could go on and on but I'm pretty sure you get my drift.

Crack houses can be anywhere, (I know this).

Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 AM

Okay, well, have a good weekend. Tomorrow is free museum day. An opportunity to take the family and enjoy.
Austin Museum Partnership : Museum Day 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin