Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Perhaps if AFFORDABLE housing was available downtown for a family of 5 near downtown some of us would have made the choice to live there. However, I refuse to purchase a DUMP for over 200K when we get a bigger bang for the buck somewhere else. At this point in time a "fixer upper" was out of the question. Some of you might like living next to a crack house but it isn't my idea of a good time.

That's my two cents and it's worth every penny.

Also, telling someone to "choose" where they live is out of touch.
This is the exact problem we have in Houston as well. However, it's more like $400k for a fixer, to $1mil+ to live in town in the better areas with good schools.

This is why suburbs are so popular for young families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Perhaps if AFFORDABLE housing was available downtown for a family of 5 near downtown some of us would have made the choice to live there. However, I refuse to purchase a DUMP for over 200K when we get a bigger bang for the buck somewhere else. At this point in time a "fixer upper" was out of the question. Some of you might like living next to a crack house but it isn't my idea of a good time.

That's my two cents and it's worth every penny.

Also, telling someone to "choose" where they live is out of touch.
Well, we always have a choice. We may not like our options, but ultimately it is our choice where we live. Your decision to NOT purchase a 200K dump is a choice. That said, I don't think discussing traffic issues counts as whining. The definition of whining is "a feeble, peevish complaint" (See Whining Definition | Definition of Whining at Dictionary.com) Traffic is a major issue in this city that needs addressing, a discussion identifying the problems and exploring options to meet our future transportation needs does not fall within that definition.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I drove to Dallas and back earlier this week. Returning, it was curious to see that the signage for 130 in Georgetown stupidly just said "Austin", as did the signage for continuing forward on IH35.

Simply changing the signage to say "Austin Bypass" or "Tollway to San Antonio", or something more descriptive might encourage people to try it out, though they might get angry at the ultimate total costs.

Frankly, I think they should open toll 130 up for free passage to 18 wheelers and that would take a lot of the traffic off IH35 through Austin. That would be a better use of the excess, unused capacity than letting the road sit unused for long stretches.

Steve

If they did that for 18 wheelers it would be great! My husband is one of those who does use the toll road, but ONLY because his company reimburses him for the cost. His truck usage goes to the same bill as our regular cars and our bill abt. 3 months ago was nearly $300. This was before he realized they would cover it. He was about to swear the tolls off and just use 35 and backroads. Not all companies reimburse their drivers so I think that's EXACTLY why they don't use 130 very often.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:16 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Since we're talking about choices, remember that City-Data also provides choices: if you are not interested in a certain topic, there is absolutely nobody requiring you to read or engage

Old 09-18-2009, 01:23 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Since we're talking about choices, remember that City-Data also provides choices: if you are not interested in a certain topic, there is absolutely nobody requiring you to read or engage
Tried to rep you for this - but apparently I'm not spreading enough rep around in order to rep you again. I am all about free choice and recognizing when you've got it.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:13 PM

326 posts, read 764,863 times
Some of the traffic lights in Austin can be more efficient. The timing of a few lights on my regular roads not only inefficient, but also dangerous. One of them always stay on green too long after the traffic passes and turn red right before the next group of cars arrive. There are always people speeding from the light before to beat this light and many of them run red lights. I thought they had some computer modeling system to help adjusting the timing of the traffic lights.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The whole city needs to be fixed. It is light years behind Dallas and Houston, heck even San Antonio.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
We're doomed. DOOMED I tell you!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
I'd sooner be a whiner than bury my head in the ground and ignore the facts.
Austin has grown and will continue to grow, ask anyone who was here 40 yrs ago..
No place stays the same forever.
If Austin wants to deliberatly keep its infrastructure weak in an effort to stave off
sprawl or "stay weird" , it wont work, the people will keep comin anyway, often from places where
traffic is much worse.
They won't keep Comin' if the area gets a reputation as an overcrowded hellhole........

Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,747 times
Default oh they might

If the place they came from is worse than an overcrowded hellhole (and there's plenty of them)---> they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
They won't keep Comin' if the area gets a reputation as an overcrowded hellhole........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin