Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM

20 posts, read 42,253 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Austin with a couple friends this July. I'll be moving out of Phoenix, AZ. I have some specific annoyances with Phoenix such as lack of culture, lack of a music scene, the Scottsdale image (Bros and Blondes trying to appear more wealthy than they truly are), and a couple others. Arizona is a beautiful state, but I'm a little frustrated with the Franchiseville that is Phoenix, AZ.

Now obviously Austin isn't going to have an issue with culture and music. I have a few other questions about Austin in general though.

You can pick and chose which questions to answer. It doesn't have to be specific to the questions asked either, I just want to get some first hand experience on Austin, TX. Feel free to expand on anything relating to it.

1. Is there a general attitude of the locals of Austin and what is it? Are they easy going, lively, uptight, etc? I think you can understand a general attitude of large social groups, whereas they may be entirely different on an individual level.

2. Is there a considerable amount of individuals whom are taking active interest in intellectual issues? I hate the term intellectual, I think it sounds egotistical. I'm talking about people taking an active part in their local and broader community to create their idea of change. It could be liberals, conservatives, libertarians, or any other ideology.

3. Is there an active interest relating to Philosophy? Does University of Texas have a good Philosophy program? Robert C. Solomon, whom is my favorite Philosophy proffessor, tought at University of Texas and I found that quite interesting. I'm not intending to major in Philosophy, but it would be great to meet people who are interesting in it as well.

4. Is Austin, TX an accepting town of younger generations? Is there plenty of activities for them? I am nineteen years old and hope that there will be plenty to do in Austin. A problem with Phoenix was that the only thing you can do for fun as a student was get drunk and go to ASU parties. Partying is fun, but everything in moderation.

5. Does Austin cater to specific styles of music or is it's scene broader? Does it bring in a decent amount of electronic music?

6. How are the women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 PM

20 posts, read 42,253 times
Repost.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:18 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcut View Post

1. Is there a general attitude of the locals of austin and what is it? yes, tolerance (live and let live). are they easy going yes, lively you bet, uptight no, except for the overly-religious.

2. Is there a considerable amount of individuals whom are taking active interest in intellectual issues?absolutely. Austin is the state capitol of texas, dude. Politicians everywhere. The city is run by liberal, intellectual baby-boomers with liberal arts degrees from ut.

3. Is there an active interest relating to philosophy? Does university of texas have a good philosophy program? Robert c. Solomon, whom is my favorite philosophy proffessor, tought at university of texas and i found that quite interesting. ...meet people who are interesting in it as well. you hit the jackpot here, ut has one of the largest and best liberal arts colleges in the world. You can talk about sartre with a stranger on the bus...

4. Is austin, tx an accepting town of younger generations? ha! You just defined austin! is there plenty of activities for them? all activities are geared towards that demo. i am nineteen years old and hope that there will be plenty to do in austin. you will weep with joy at what awaits you here.

5. Does austin cater to specific styles of music or is it's scene broader? Does it bring in a decent amount of electronic music? one of the music capitols of the world, dozens of styles played here.

6. How are the women? playboy has said that ut-austin has the most beautiful women on any campus in the country. 'nuff said.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Lets not confuse politicians with intellectual.

Neither Lloyd Doggett (Dem) nor Lamar Smith (Repub) have shown me any intellectual capability.

Otherwise I agree with most of the post above.

Regarding music I'd say Austin is weak in real jazz. But almost every city is. As for electronic - I have no clue since I would run away if I heard it. At least if it was in a techno style.

Find radio station KGSR on the internet. I think they are a good barometer for the styles of music commonly heard in Austin. New rock, blues, country, folk, soul, singer songwriter, classic rock, etc.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM

48 posts, read 139,215 times
FYI, unless you goto the gay bar your selection of electronic music is gone. Austin is all about live bands. The radio stations suck here as does anything that does not revolve around a local live band... including anything electronic.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,710 times
Hmmm....

1. Is there a general attitude of the locals of Austin and what is it?
==> "How ya doing, I'm bob, what's your name? Hey, you need a beer, I dunno what you're drinkin, we got some cold over here!" (said with big smile)

2. Is there a considerable amount of individuals whom are taking active interest in intellectual issues?
==> Umm, you mean intellectual like marijuana? j/k, I dunno.

3. Is there an active interest relating to Philosophy?
==> Does it have to do with bull*itting while sipping a beer? If so, yes.

4. Is Austin, TX an accepting town of younger generations? Is there plenty of activities for them?
==> I would guess hiking & trail biking & swimming and sex. And sitting around coffee shops b.s.'ing philosophy after smoking pot.

5. Does Austin cater to specific styles of music or is it's scene broader? Does it bring in a decent amount of electronic music?
==> I dunno yet

6. How are the women?
==> Plentiful and young and silly and buzzed from the beer. Also a lot of nerdy/philosophical types which seems you may prefer. Also, they are usually in good physical shape (contrast to the fatter east).

In general it's pretty laid back, seems to me so far, I just got here.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM

225 posts, read 851,441 times
1. Is there a general attitude of the locals of Austin and what is it? Are they easy going, lively, uptight, etc? I think you can understand a general attitude of large social groups, whereas they may be entirely different on an individual level.
people are like everywhere, you just have to meld with the people who are like you.

2. Is there a considerable amount of individuals whom are taking active interest in intellectual issues? I hate the term intellectual, I think it sounds egotistical. I'm talking about people taking an active part in their local and broader community to create their idea of change. It could be liberals, conservatives, libertarians, or any other ideology. Austin is full of may types of people, you just have to find your place to feel comfortable.

3. Is there an active interest relating to Philosophy? Does University of Texas have a good Philosophy program? Robert C. Solomon, whom is my favorite Philosophy proffessor, tought at University of Texas and I found that quite interesting. I'm not intending to major in Philosophy, but it would be great to meet people who are interesting in it as well. did not go to UT can't give you a perfect answer

4. Is Austin, TX an accepting town of younger generations? Is there plenty of activities for them? I am nineteen years old and hope that there will be plenty to do in Austin. A problem with Phoenix was that the only thing you can do for fun as a student was get drunk and go to ASU parties. Partying is fun, but everything in moderation. Seems as if UT and parties go hand and hand, I am older so to me there is plenty to do for any age.

5. Does Austin cater to specific styles of music or is it's scene broader? Does it bring in a decent amount of electronic music? There is a very diverse music scene as far as I am aware of.

6. How are the women? Seems there are every type like anywhere in U.S. you got the nice girls and the b's and the in between are just that, life is what we make of it!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times

General attitude is cliquish, catty, and uppity.

2. Is there a considerable amount of individuals whom are taking active interest in intellectual issues? I hate the term intellectual, I think it sounds egotistical. I'm talking about people taking an active part in their local and broader community to create their idea of change. It could be liberals, conservatives, libertarians, or any other ideology.

No it is rare.

3. Is there an active interest relating to Philosophy? Does University of Texas have a good Philosophy program? Robert C. Solomon, whom is my favorite Philosophy proffessor, tought at University of Texas and I found that quite interesting. I'm not intending to major in Philosophy, but it would be great to meet people who are interesting in it as well.

Who knows. UT is popular for its business and engineer schools but mostly for the Long Horn games.

4. Is Austin, TX an accepting town of younger generations? Is there plenty of activities for them? I am nineteen years old and hope that there will be plenty to do in Austin. A problem with Phoenix was that the only thing you can do for fun as a student was get drunk and go to ASU parties. Partying is fun, but everything in moderation.

No there are not activities unless you want to get drunk on 6th street or be involved in some sports.

5. Does Austin cater to specific styles of music or is it's scene broader? It caters to a few styles of music. Does it bring in a decent amount of electronic music? No.

6. How are the women? Rude and catty.

Last edited by artsyguy; 05-10-2009 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 PM

151 posts, read 348,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcut View Post
UT has a large and prestigious graduate program in philosophy that ranks consistently in the top 20 nationally and at about the same level as the philosophy programs at Cornell, Brown, and the University of Chicago:
The Philosophical Gourmet Report 2009 :: Overall Rankings
That said, the area that the late Bob Solomon mostly worked in (continental philosophy) is not what UT's philosophy department is known for. If his sort of work is what interests you, you'd do better to hang around at Duquesne (Pittsburgh), Emory (Atlanta), Penn State (State College), Loyola (Chicago), or DePaul (Chicago), to name a few.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Default Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcut View Post

6. How are the women?
1. While everyone is an individual, I would say laid=back is a good term. I don't find the people in Austin to be uptight at all. The suburbs have a lot of mad moms in minivans who are scared of everything the news and government try to scare them about-- so I'd say the 'burbs are more conservative and uptight by contrast.

2. Not particularly. Although I would guess you could find this type of coterie if you desired-- UT has much of this, I'm sure.

3. I have no idea. I'm not interested in it.

4. I think Austin more or less caters to people 18-25.

5. Unless you are an 80's power ballad fan (like me) you'll likely find something you like here. And if you are an 80's power ballad fan, contact me. REO Speedwagon and Styx will be in Houston.

6. Nice enough to me. But I am gay and non-threatening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin