Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM

30 posts, read 140,205 times

Advertisements

My husband has been informed that his job is moving. We have a choice of destinations, but Austin is the most appealing to us. I have never moved and I do love Oregon. But what I love about where is live is how green it is, how close we are to both water and hiking. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. The community where I live is very family oriented and friendly. It is substantially cooler here than Austin, but I am willing to try it out.

We are looking at the Round Rock area. I was reading one CCR for The Woods of Brushy Creek. It mentioned "no rabbits". We have a daughter who has a beloved bunny as a 4-H project. This bunny is an indoor bunny except when she is in her exercise pen and her litter box and cage are cleaned out 4x per week. The bunny must come with us. Other HOAs simply mention no unusual pets. Has anyone here had any problems with finding a home with a bunny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
No rabbits?!? Do they mean out in the yard? I don't consider them an unusual pet and we have had one for years now (also a fully-indoor rabbit). Our HOA prohibits unusual pets, but I think they are talking about lions and llamas, or whatever.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM

30 posts, read 140,205 times
I was wondering if they meant no rabbits in an outdoor hutch. She does have an outdoor hutch right now for the nicer days, but I don't think that will work in Texas. The CCR also said no snakes, no rodents, etc and that only normal domesticated animals are allowed such as "dogs, cats, birds and fish".

Its good to know that someone else has an indoor rabbit there. I'm not planning on having a cow in the backyard nor chickens or anything like that. But the bunny is very special to my daughter.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,860 times
You should call the HOA management company. I doubt any of your neighbors are going to turn you in for an indoor bunny rabbit. I also doubt any of them know that is restricted. That is a wonderful neighborhood with tons of kids. I would be very suprised if you had the only bunny in the subdivision.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Well if the CCR specifically said only "dogs, cats, birds and fish" then they do not want your rabbit. Would you want to have to hide it all the time ?

There are plenty of nice days in Austin where you'd want to put your rabbit outside. Even in the summer, it's not too bad in the evenings if the hutch is in the shade.

I have a rabbit (house) and he loves to go to his outside hutch for a few hours.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
I've never had a problem with finding a home with any of my critters (well, I couldn't keep the horses in town, but other than that), but, then, I've never lived in a neighborhood with a HOA. There are plenty of nice (some VERY nice) neighborhoods that don't have them, after all.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,834 times
Yea! Something I know about. I just got a copy of The Woods Restrictions.

I have 6 cats and have to worry about HOA regulations on the number of animals. The Woods doesn't have any restrictions other than the standard 'keep them on your own property, under control, pick up after your dog, etc.' There are no restrictions on the number or kind of pets (but I think RR restricts farm animals). The President of the HOA sent me the documents personally. He seems like a really nice guy, very friendly and helpful.

Wouldn't it be dangerous to put a bunny in an outside hutch because of the snakes?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Yea! Something I know about. I just got a copy of The Woods Restrictions.

I have 6 cats and have to worry about HOA regulations on the number of animals. The Woods doesn't have any restrictions other than the standard 'keep them on your own property, under control, pick up after your dog, etc.' There are no restrictions on the number or kind of pets (but I think RR restricts farm animals). The President of the HOA sent me the documents personally. He seems like a really nice guy, very friendly and helpful.

Wouldn't it be dangerous to put a bunny in an outside hutch because of the snakes?
Umm, not at my place. The snake I have here prefers mice and chicken eggs. Plus, the rabbit is a bit too big

Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
We had a rabbit that stayed outside almost all the time in a hutch and he was never a target for snakes. The only animal that ever bothered him was the dog, and they were buddies anyway. But, then again, I'm in Hutto where it tends to be more farmland so people have a wider variety of pets. We have some friends in RR off Gattis School Rd. who have 2 ducks.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:39 AM

485 posts, read 1,959,780 times
I wouldn't live there if the rabbit is that important. All you need is one nosy annoying neighbor to turn you in. I've never heard of a neighborhood limiting types of domesticated pets...I can understand farm animals, etc...but a rabbit?! I'd choose another neighborhood. There are TONS of nice neighborhoods with kids and good schools in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin