Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times

Advertisements

Rabbits live outside here in hutches all the time. Snakes aren't a particular problem, but a truly motivated raccoon could be, I would imagine. (It's amazing what those critters can get into!)

And what MJinAustin said. If you're going to live in a neighborhood with a HOA, it's best not to go in intending right off the bat to break one of the rules that you think you can get away with, because chances are someone will turn you in sooner or later. That is, after all, what HOA's are all about, everybody obeying the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 07:05 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
My wife has had rabbits for years and years. I would advise that you keep your rabbit indoors pretty much 100% of the time if it is a pet. The rabbit will do fine on a day to day basis, but there is a much higer risk for parasites, and the temperature variations will take their toll eventually. Supposedly (at least according to my wife, who would know better) indoor rabbits live ~twice as long as indoor/outdoor or outdoor rabbits. Her last one lived to ~11 years, which is old indeed for a rabbit!

Anyway, if you have it inside, I can't imagine that the HOA would ever know/care, nor would your neighbors. They don't exactly bark a lot . If it were an outdoor rabbit, there is the potential of getting the neighbors' dogs worked up, or having an odor (not usually strong with a rabbit, but possibly noticeable to over-involved neighbors), and while snakes are not a problem, raccoons, skunks, and coyotes can be a problem.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:14 AM

30 posts, read 140,114 times
I have no intention of moving into an HOA knowingly breaking the rules. The Woods was the first one I looked at and I was making sure that people in Texas actually owned rabbits. My daughter has several friends here who live in places with HOAs and they have rabbits. In fact, at least with her friends, EVERYONE has a rabbit. Well, except for one, and she is working on her parents. These girls are all 9 years old. Their rabbits have playdates (same gender only), the girls get together and make "enrichment toys" that they find on the internet, etc.

As for outside vs inside. She is already a primarily indoor rabbit. Her nights are spent in her hutch outside, but its mild here and she has her own heatlamp and cover for her hutch. We do have raccoons, skunks and coyotes here too. The coyotes usually run around the fields by the girls school, 1/4mile away, but they are around. But we are on a plot of land over an acre here, so its not like we have close neighbors that might be bothered by the smell of a hutch. Not that its that bad. I do intend for her to be an indoor rabbit in Austin except for her exercise pen and trips out the front door in her carrier to a 4-H meeting, if I can locate a new group.

I'm glad to see that this no rabbit thing is not universal!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Finding a 4H group down here will NOT be a problem! There are quite a few of them. I'm also trying to think of who I know who hasn't had a rabbit at one time or another, and coming up empty. So you'll fit right in!

By the way, I didn't think you were planning on breaking the rules, but since it appeared to be being advocated, felt I should speak up.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 AM

314 posts, read 1,230,186 times
Just to point out - I did not say to break the rules, but to call the management company. Most neighborhood HOAs will do a variance to their rules. They may limit you to a certain number of rabbits, just get it in writing.

I mainly sell houses without HOAs, so I understand the desire not to be controlled. Most of my customers have this desire. Who am I kidding, I have this desire.

I live in a house with an HOA, and it can be a pain. Wouldn't it be nice is after 10 years, the could relax some of the rules? I know at our home we would like a different (nicer) wood garage door. I also want to stain our driveway. It is a pain to have to get approval from the HOA board first. I would like our home to have some of our personality and character and not look like the other 5 on our street with the same floorplan.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
This is the email of the President of the "The Wood" HOA:

His name is Nick D'Alessio

His response is below. There is a Yahoo group for the resident which have the document on it so I tried to join. He also sent me PDF documents which I could try to email you.
Megan,

The email group is for residents only. However, I've attached a copy of our simplified neighborhood rules. There are no restriction regarding pets per se. However, you may want to check the Round Rock city ordinances regarding pets. The city's laws are pretty strict.

Regards

Nick D'Alessio
President, The Woods HOA, Inc.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-27-2008 at 10:15 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
Oh, and if the actual document does say no rabbits I'm sure it is because many people raise them like livestock, for food. I'm sure a variance could be given. Since it sounds like you have the actual CCR's could you tell me if there is any thing about the number of cats?

Thanks much!

Megan

Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 AM

30 posts, read 140,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Oh, and if the actual document does say no rabbits I'm sure it is because many people raise them like livestock, for food. I'm sure a variance could be given. Since it sounds like you have the actual CCR's could you tell me if there is any thing about the number of cats?

Thanks much!

Megan
I was basing this upon the deed restrictions here: http://www.wbchoa.org/text_files/deedrest.pdf Page 9, section 15 is about pets. It says no more than 2 adult animals of any species are allowed.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
My husband has been informed that his job is moving. We have a choice of destinations, but Austin is the most appealing to us. I have never moved and I do love Oregon. But what I love about where is live is how green it is, how close we are to both water and hiking. Lots of outdoor stuff to do. The community where I live is very family oriented and friendly. It is substantially cooler here than Austin, but I am willing to try it out.

We are looking at the Round Rock area. I was reading one CCR for The Woods of Brushy Creek. It mentioned "no rabbits". We have a daughter who has a beloved bunny as a 4-H project. This bunny is an indoor bunny except when she is in her exercise pen and her litter box and cage are cleaned out 4x per week. The bunny must come with us. Other HOAs simply mention no unusual pets. Has anyone here had any problems with finding a home with a bunny?

Since you are moving from Oregon, you should be aware of some of the real problems with HOAs in Texas that may be different than you have in Oregon. Keep in mind that the management companies often have compensation tied directly or indirectly to the "private fining" process.

The HOAs in Texas will often "adopt a rule" to re-characterize your assessment payments to be applied to management company fees, fines, attorney fees, etc. prior to being applied to your assessments. This mechanism allows vendors of the association (i.e., attorneys, management company) to literally extort money wholly unrelated to assessments from residents under threat of foreclosure on their home. This practice is unlawful in much of the United States including the 9th Circuit which is where Oregon is located. This would be a major, unwelcome change. It's not appreciated by Texans either.

Keep in mind this is very lucrative for the management companies who constantly invite residents to "report their neighbors". Look at the home page for the association you would be a member of. Do you think living in such an environment is really desirable?

The President has all but suggested that there is not a prohibition against rabbits despite the express provisions set forth in the CCRs. Rest assured that you will not be able to rely upon the President's statements when you are being threatened with foreclosure if your assessments are applied to fines against your will. It's pretty apparent that there is an express prohibition against rabbits. Apparently they are deemed to have a "negative impact on the value of other Lots". The HOA will justify a lot of bad, oppressive conduct under the pretext of aesthetics.

HOAs are a tremendous detriment to the value of the property for the owner. Unlimited, perpetual liens and assessments. Boards often disenfranchise owners right before an election in order to ensure the outcome is the way the incumbents desire. For example, look at Article III of the CCRs which ENTITLES you to a vote. Sounds at least semi-democratic, right? Now look at page 2 of the Bylaws where the HOA buries the fact that your vote can be denied. Also keep in mind that the votes are usually "secret" so you won't know if your vote even counted.

You are smart for researching the HOA. It's a little troubling when you get misleading answers from the President whom you specifically asked about this very issue, don't you think?

Another racket you should be aware of is "transfer fees". Many HOAs are now imposing (without the consent of the homeowner) a transfer fee on the sale of the house. In short, you may be compelled to pay a $$ amount or a percentage of the sales price of your home to the HOA or management company when you try to sell your home.

Finally, although there may be a reason for the mismatch of the records, according to the Secretary of State the individual you communicated with is not the president. Look at directors & officers of the HOA at the following link:
http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaGetTp?Pg=tpid&Search_Nm=the%20woods %20&Button=search&Search_ID=30009514578 (broken link)

Frankly, there is little positive to say about HOAs and they have been granted far too much authority over the titleholders in this state. Realtors have little choice but to push the properties because they are numerous and there really isn't a large selection of non-HOA property comparatively speaking. Given the difference in state laws, you might be interested in researching HOAs in this state a little more before risking your home, investment, family life, and your pet in one.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 05-16-2008 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 05-16-2008, 12:07 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,688 times
Default Rabbit vs. snake

Regarding the concerns about snakes and rabbits, the snakes need to fear the rabbits more than the rabbits fear the snakes. Check out this video:
Snake vs. Rabbit - Video

Although snakes aren't much of a native threat for rabbits, we do have coyotes, foxes, hawks, cara caras, and other predators capable of making a quick meal out of a rabbit. So if the rabbit is not in a protective enclosure, don't leave the rabbit unattended even in a fenced yard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin