Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

I was exploring with Google Maps around Austin and decided to looked at the Hamilton's Pool area. hamilton pool preserve - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/dltq2m - broken link) Looking at the area around the pool to the East and North I noticed a lot of dirt parking lots with truck trailers and portable buildings. At first I thought it was some kind of industry, then I noticed a few tents. ? Looking closer I found what appear to be small western towns or villages, perhaps even a reconstruction of the Alamo, the largest village looks like adobe houses surrounding a town square which has an adobe church in the middle of it. There are also some other strange white marks dotted along the contours of the hills around the area.

There are several access roads down to the Pedernales River just to the west.

This could be where a lot of those western movies have been shot, such as Lonesome Dove and The Alamo.

Yep, what I can see in the google maps matchs the configuration of the alamo floor plans very closely.

Untitled Document (http://www.thealamo.org/building3.html - broken link)

I read recently that development upstream from Hamiltons Pool was responsible for the pollution it has received, and the County is suing over it. I wonder if the movie area is now being developed into housing? The aerial photos are probably a couple of years old and don't reflect recent development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,402 times
That's the Alamo set on Reimer's Ranch. Pretty sure that is not being developed into housing.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM

322 posts, read 748,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I was exploring with Google Maps around Austin and decided to looked at the Hamilton's Pool area. hamilton pool preserve - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/dltq2m - broken link) Looking at the area around the pool to the East and North I noticed a lot of dirt parking lots with truck trailers and portable buildings. At first I thought it was some kind of industry, then I noticed a few tents. ? Looking closer I found what appear to be small western towns or villages, perhaps even a reconstruction of the Alamo, the largest village looks like adobe houses surrounding a town square which has an adobe church in the middle of it. There are also some other strange white marks dotted along the contours of the hills around the area.

There are several access roads down to the Pedernales River just to the west.

This could be where a lot of those western movies have been shot, such as Lonesome Dove and The Alamo.

Yep, what I can see in the google maps matchs the configuration of the alamo floor plans very closely.

Untitled Document (http://www.thealamo.org/building3.html - broken link)

I read recently that development upstream from Hamiltons Pool was responsible for the pollution it has received, and the County is suing over it. I wonder if the movie area is now being developed into housing? The aerial photos are probably a couple of years old and don't reflect recent development.
They filmed the Alamo on the property immediately next door to hamilton pool. If you go to Reimer's Ranch county park you can see the set off in the distance still up. At one time they were doing tours. Not sure if they are any more.

Those white dots I think youre referring to are rock outcroppings. Almost all limestone filled with fossils from the cretaceous period. They are very abundant in the area.

The area being developed which has caused a lot of uproar is south-east of hamilton pool.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
Those white dots I think youre referring to are rock outcroppings. Almost all limestone filled with fossils from the cretaceous period. They are very abundant in the area.

No the white dots I'm referring to are rectangular in shape, all almost identical in size and evenly spaced. There are lines of them East of the large adobe village and the alamo sets.

My best guess is perhaps they were some kind of gravel pads put in to create a level support for a camera rail car, so they could shoot sweeping moving camera shots.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
The area being developed which has caused a lot of uproar is south-east of hamilton pool.
OK I see now, looking at the Terrain google map of the area Hamilton Creek enters Hamilton Pool from the South and crosses Hamilton Road where it drains a large area Southeast of the pool.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
I was an extra that participated in the Alamo shoot and had a blast. We drove from downtown Austin to Reimer's Ranch nearly every day except Sunday. One day it snowed out there. I'll have to dig up my pics.

I once stopped at the little gas station/convenience store...I think it was called Ernie's ? Anyways, as I was paying for a drink there I noticed billy bob thornton step out from a backroom there with a beer bottle. I think they had a pool table there in which he would sometimes play billards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin