Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM

24 posts, read 131,499 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. By foreigner I mean, not from the US. My parents have strong accents and we lived in louisiana years ago and they found people were very unfriendly and pretty prejudiced towards them. We love how people are very open minded in seattle and are hoping people are the same in Austin. Basically...We don't want them getting strange looks or a bunch of "what was that?" b/c they have an accent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
I'd think if anything, if they got a "what was that?" look here, it would be more curious and intrigued rather than prejudiced against.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
Thanks for the post, its good to hear some feedback from someone who has moved recently.

I think I will start a seperate thread about How to Survive the Summer in Austin, TX.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,128,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtsbeeschic View Post
Well for all the seattelites who left rainy Seattle to go to sunny Austin, is there anything you miss about Seattle? (We're moving there soon, only for the weather; otherwise we'd definitely stay in Seattle)

Also, please don't get offended anyone, but I must ask: Do you feel like people in Austin are more closed minded or somewhat prejudice (towards foreigners) compared to the people in Seattle?
I miss:
  • Blackberries
  • Blue Berries
  • Raspberries
  • Tulip Festival
  • Good Seafood
  • Easy access to snow
  • Really tall trees
I have not found any prejudice towards Seattle here. I don't think there are too many of us. Most people ask how did you survive the rain?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM

468 posts, read 1,221,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Seattle was the city that topped all the "Best City" surveys before Austin took that crown.......and that was for years.....from late 80's to at least 98-99........so how did that happen? If the place is so dark, dank, rainy, expensive, and unfriendly, how the heck did it rank that high for years?
grunge music. they like dank & rainy for grunge; not unfriendly just melancholy.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM

139 posts, read 351,109 times
No more KEXP, but at least you can still get it on the net! And KGSR is pretty strong in it's own right.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,117,546 times
Blackberries and blueberries are grown locally and will be available at the farmers markets in June (blackberries) and July (blueberries). Yum!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,128,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Blackberries and blueberries are grown locally and will be available at the farmers markets in June (blackberries) and July (blueberries). Yum!
they just aren't the same. Blueberries were $1/pound at the blueberry farm 1/4 mile from my house and they were the size of grapes.

Blackberries were everywhere. I would just send the kids to the backyard and they would come back with enough for a cobbler....

Doh! now I'm hungry :-(

Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtsbeeschic View Post
Thanks for the responses. By foreigner I mean, not from the US. My parents have strong accents and we lived in louisiana years ago and they found people were very unfriendly and pretty prejudiced towards them. We love how people are very open minded in seattle and are hoping people are the same in Austin. Basically...We don't want them getting strange looks or a bunch of "what was that?" b/c they have an accent...
I think a lot of people from Louisiana talk funny, but that makes them more interesting to me. Seriously, how can any state with cajan and creole accents think anyone else talks funny?

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-07-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,070,649 times
The only thing I miss about Seattle is Trader Joes. I love living in Austin and haven't regretted my move one bit.

I think the people in Seattle are open-minded, as long as you think like they do....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin