Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,635 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My husband and I are moving to Austin in a few weeks from Seattle, because he got a computer geek job @ Congress and 6th, and I'm going to be attending the Seminary of the Southwest.

We currently live in the Ballard neighborhood (off Market St.), and we LOVE it. We're next to a Walgreens, Safeway, and Ballard's own downtown area. We can walk nearly everywhere, and there's a bus stop within sight of our apartment. We also like the funkiness of the nearby Fremont Neighborhood.

Are there any Seattle transplants who could help us find comparable neighborhoods in Austin so we can buy a house (not condo) and raise future kids in a safe, eclectic environment?

Budget: $100-$300K (preferably around $250)
BR: 3 + office or 4
BA: 2-3
SQ FT: 1700 - 2400

Other: Walkable (near shops, etc.); unique style (not suburban cookie cutters that all look and feel the same); close to public transit (within 5 or 6 blocks, because I'm a wheelchair user who doesn't drive).

Any and all help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_stacy80 View Post
Are there any Seattle transplants who could help us find comparable neighborhoods in Austin so we can buy a house (not condo) and raise future kids in a safe, eclectic environment?
So, Austinites wouldn't know how to help suggest comparable neighborhoods where you can buy house "and raise future kids in a safe, eclectic environment"?

Oh, I see you're gonna have a good time deep in the heart of Texas !

FYI: Here is my half-Texan 2 cents for what its worth: (in your price range and safety quotient) try looking at Clarksville, Hyde Park, Rosedale, Travis Heights, Bouldin Creek, Zilker, Allandale, and French Place to start with.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 08-27-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,635 times
Default Perhaps I shouldn't have seemed so particular and excluding...

Sorry 'bout that. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there like me who had experienced the Seattle neighborhoods I mentioned in my original post. I meant no disrespect to Austinites. Quite the contrary, I welcome input. As I said, all help is appreciated...so, thank you for your help!

Warmly,
Stacy, Southerner by birth and choice

Old 08-27-2010, 06:38 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,146 times
Don't know Seattle, but that is a super low budget for a house you describe. Is that what you could get in Seattle for that?

You could probably get a nice condo for that. Do you have kids yet?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Rent! At least for 6 months, maybe forever. Look in Hyde Park, French Place, Allandale, Crestview/Brentwood.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Sorry no Seattle experience here, but...

You said 2-3 bedrooms is OK? If so, you can find something in your price range in a 2BR house. Those are typically priced significantly less around here, where 3BR is considered a minimum (and for some people still too few!). It will probably be closer to the 1700 sq ft figure, or less, though.

Also you can find what you are looking for in East Austin, but people around here will say it's too sketchy... and the schools are not good. It's definitely got the funky aspect though, in fact it could be said the east is where the true Austin funkiness of old is currently residing! You might find it feels perfectly safe there. Just depends on what you are used. Which is probably why you asked your question about Seattle transplants

Old 08-28-2010, 12:23 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_stacy80 View Post
Hi, all. My husband and I are moving to Austin in a few weeks from Seattle, because he got a computer geek job @ Congress and 6th, and I'm going to be attending the Seminary of the Southwest.

We currently live in the Ballard neighborhood (off Market St.), and we LOVE it. We're next to a Walgreens, Safeway, and Ballard's own downtown area. We can walk nearly everywhere, and there's a bus stop within sight of our apartment. We also like the funkiness of the nearby Fremont Neighborhood.

Budget: $100-$300K (preferably around $250)
BR: 3 + office or 4
BA: 2-3
SQ FT: 1700 - 2400

Other: Walkable (near shops, etc.); unique style (not suburban cookie cutters that all look and feel the same); close to public transit (within 5 or 6 blocks, because I'm a wheelchair user who doesn't drive).

Any and all help is appreciated!
I've lived in the PNW before (familiar with Seattle), and I'd say the closest thing that might fit the Seattle vibe is East Austin. That's the neighborhood that I think of when I think "Seattle." However, you'll need to spend a lot more money to buy a home in Austin proper than you would Seattle.

Austin's very different insofar that it's spread out. It has a tight urban center, but it's mostly sprawl (at least these days). The further away you get from Austin, the cheaper it is. You could find something in your price range in Round Rock, Cedar Park, Del Valle or Pflugerville, but those are nothing like the neighborhoods you described, and they are in the sprawl. You'd have to spend around a 1.5 to 2 million to get what you want in Central Austin. A little north of the downtown (Allandale, Rosedale), it's less expensive--you might be able to get something for $750K. Your husband works downtown, so obviously, he doesn't want to live outside of the city limits. Unforunately, anywhere within 10 or so miles of where he works is prime expensive real estate.

Another thing that you may or may not be pleased with is that we don't have an abundance of "big box" stores in C.A., especially not here in the historic district (Old West Austin). It sounds like you want something like Clarksville, Hyde Park, SoCo, or East Austin, but you won't be able to buy anything to fit your budget except perhaps a one-bedroom condo. Living in Austin proper is much more expensive than living in Seattle. OTOH, living in a city surrounding Austin (Round Rock, Cedar Park, etc.) is much cheaper than living in Seattle--because these cities are nothing like Austin in flavor, and they're a long drive away by your standards.

If you want to live in Austin proper, you might have to be more realistic about what your money can purchase here. Rent for a while and see what you can live with.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:40 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
What?!

No, no! Prices in central Austin are not that high. There are over 100 listings under $399K in 78704 alone. Allandale is nearly all well under $400K. Finding something central for $250K or less can be hard, but look at French Place, parts of Bouldin, Dawson. You can get a house for $250K with 3 bedrooms and 1800 sq feet in Highland and Skyview.

Rent first and get a very good realtor.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:01 PM

And, as we've discovered on another threat, some of those properties were misrepresented, too. I would be very reticent to look at a property for $399K. The lots in C.A. neighborhoods are priced at $100K alone. So you have to wonder what exactly is standing on these lots. I looked around when i was thinking about buying and could only find 2-2 condos in that range--and older ones at that. The 1/1 I currently co-own and rent is priced at $600K (in Clarksville), and it was built in the mid-80s, so it's relatively new.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Don't know Seattle, but that is a super low budget for a house you describe. Is that what you could get in Seattle for that?
Yup, Seattle proper seems to be cheaper compared to Austin proper. I know somebody who's renting a big 1-1 in Seattle for a mere $600. No kidding! I can barely remember those days. He's looking at buying a house, and he says that they're much cheaper than they are in ATX--more on par with the costs of homes in Round Rock and Cedar Park. I'd never live where it rains so much, but I am envious that he has a better quality of life for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin