Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 AM

277 posts, read 1,299,455 times

Advertisements

I’m thinking of relocating from Seattle to Austin. I’ve visited once, and have a niece who lives there. She’s newly married & pregnant and pursuing the suburban lifestyle.

I’m here seeking neighborhood information & advice. I’m single, 50 yrs old, with no kids. Prefer urban over suburban, but price range is limited to below $250K. I would be willing to rent before buying also.

What’s important to me is the neighborhood vibe. I’d love a ‘walking’ neighborhood (grocery store, bank, hardware store, pubs, bakeries, restaurants) all within walking distance. One of the things I love about Seattle is that it’s made up of neighborhoods that have their own little ‘downtowns.’ Not sure if anything like this exists there or not, as I realize that Austin is a smaller city than Seattle. For those familiar, I currently live on Queen Anne in Seattle.

Things that are important to me:
~A vibrant food culture, emphasis on local & seasonal as well as availability of quality & luxury ingredients. farmer’s markets, locally owned restaurants over national chains. I love to cook ;-)
~Liberal mind-set (I think ya’ll have that part down ;-)

I will also be looking for boarding stables, as in, horses. I currently own a horse here, was born with the horsey gene, grew up riding western, but have ridden English since I was in college. I’m not really into showing so much anymore, but still love to jump fences and gallop hell bent for leather. I realize I might need to pursue this topic on some more equestrian related forums to get more scoop.

Main reasons I want to move: The Rain, the mud, the winters. The cost of living & housing. What I’ll miss most: The local seafood. Several favorite restaurants. The vibe at the Pike Place Market. The salt water. The Oregon coast.

What I can adjust to in Austin: The heat. I grew up in rural Kansas ;-) what I’m seeking: more sunshine, more days in the saddle, a more affordable cost of living, more affordable housing and horse-keeping. How’s the seafood there? What’s good?

I might be open to something more rural, if the vibe is right and I can telecommute.

Thanks for reading my little diatribe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:32 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,068,675 times
Hello, from a fellow Seattlite, now transplant Texan!

There are a few of us here...

The thing that you will need to decide is, do you want country/rural for the horse factor, or do you want the city life?

I am not sure how "doable" $250k is IN Austin. Have you figured in property taxes? They are double here, what they are in Seattle. If you lived on property, with your horse, I think you can get an agricultural exemption - but then you are definitely looking at areas outside the city : Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Dripping Springs... I don't know where else?

I don't know - I am a newbie here too - so I will let others tackle your questions... but I did want to chime in and say hi.

It's been a great transition from Seattle, for us - the quality of life here is through the roof, compared to Seattle. You will love it.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,945 times
Do it. We're moving from Seattle to Austin (Round Rock actually) for many of the same reasons in June.

I'd rent for a while until you find the right place for you. Sounds like you want the beneifts of being downtown but with quick access to riding. My buddy lives in Georgetown, it's pretty there but not a downtown and the property is very reasonably priced.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM

Thanks Jenbar & Ganks! Good to hear from some fellow Seattlites who are happy with their choice. I've noticed there are a few on this board...When did you move Jenbar? What work do you do there? Do you have a job lined up Ganks?

So let's talk neighborhoods. I don't mind an 'up and coming' as in an older neighborhood in the process of gentrification. Trouble is with those, if the prices get too high, I'm the one being gentrified out before I can even get in. I'm open to renting, my main reason for moving is to make my measly dollar go further than it does here.

So, let's leave the horse thing out of the equation for now. What would be an fun neighborhood for me? No kids, so schools and daycare not important. Good vibe, good stores nearby, neighborly and social. I prefer mature landscaping, older construction, big trees to sit under while sipping a cocktail, er, ice tea.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,660,788 times
If you can find anything in Hyde Park, or possible just north of it, you would be very lucky. Of course, it would also need quite a bit of fixing up for that price, too, I am guessing. Old houses, big trees, some shopping fairly integrated into the neighborhood. From my experience, though, it is not necessarily neighborly. Lots of retired types who stick to gardening or such, and some professionals that seem to have friends outside the neighborhood. I think kids act as a natural emusifier in a lot of the suburbs, and there aren't as many kids in the central neighborhoods. Of course, that is just my vibe from living there back in the 80's/early 90s, and I would love to live in that area again if I could swing it.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,708,087 times
Georgetown has a downtown. It's not downtown Austin, but it's pretty good sized for a small town "downtown". There are lots of cafes and boutique shopping. Big Box shopping is closer to the freeway, so probably not walkable. There is also a bar/pub in downtown georgetown now, so if people want to go there instead of going into Austin, they don't have to. The people opened it, hoping to start a trend of getting a little more nightlife in the center of town.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,708,087 times
Oh, and I was there this morning and noticed that there were some homes for sale near downtown Georgetown. A few of the older renovated ones that are so nice, and with big trees.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:12 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,660,788 times
Georgetown is very nice (I am a big fan myself), but the 'liberal mind set' does not seem to apply very much to G'town. Of course, it is probably not as conservative as some other places, so you may want to check it out. That is where we lived when we raised horses. By the way, the ag. exemption would only apply if the horses and land use were part of a business.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,068,675 times
With the horse thing out of the equation, I would not recommend Georgetown for someone looking for a "seattle-esque" environment. My personal opinion of the area - while I thought it was very pretty, was that it still felt very rural and the "mindset" was definitely not the eclectic, open-minded, liberal sort that this person may be seeking out, coming from Seattle.

I have to agree the Hyde Park area would be great - I have driven through it several times and it really reminds me of the Queen Anne/Montlake/Wallingford types of neighborhoods, in Seattle.

Things are very spread out here - this will be one thing that you will need to adjust to... so if "city life" trumps your priorities over "horse life" - I would focus on the Austin city limit neighborhoods, because without kids in the picture, that's really where it's at.

You will love the South Austin area, I think, but I don't know what the price ranges are.

Quote:
When did you move Jenbar? What work do you do there?
We moved here in October of '06 - and I am a stay at home mom. Husband is in the tech field.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM

Thanks! You guys have been very helpful.

I'm coming out for a visit in September, (after the niece's baby is born) and will do some looking around then.

What is the zipcode of Hyde Park? Is Hyde Park in south Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin